Cheat Days????

Options

Replies

• rkellon
    rkellon Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I am glad to see I am not the only one who does cheat days on the weekends but I am more active on the weekends I am running more errends walking around the park at flea markets and so on. So the cheat weekends don't hurt me I am back on track monday. :happy:
  • Dawna954
    Dawna954 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I do a cheat day every week. I usually eat good through the day and then my dinner and evening are mine. I have a few drinks and dinner with friends. As long as you are committed enough that one day doesn't turn into the next ( I have done this and sabotaged my entire plan) then you are good.
    Also, I used to do an entire cheat day. Now I do more like a cheat meal.
    It works for me.
    Once you eat the crap after eating healthy all week, you usually wake up in the morning feeling like crap and ask yourself, why did I do that again?
    We are human and we crave junk food once in awhile.

Happy Friday..... oh and this is my cheat day! :)
  • Scalvak
    Scalvak Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I cheat one day a week (typically Wednesday evenings), and eat whatever I want.. within reason (so not like an entire batch of cookies, etc.). I like calling it "cheating" because it feels like I'm doing something wrong and it gives me the motivation to "behave" the other six days of the week :smile:

It *has* derailed my diet before, but for me, it seems to help a lot in losing weight and gives me something to look forward to.
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options
    FYI, I'm typing this while eating a cheese danish :happy:

Stop calling them cheat days, they are "Spike Day's" :wink:

"Cheating" causes a negative connotation, and they are nothing but good for you. A cheat day spikes leptin and metabolism!

If you read the article "Fat Trap" in the New York Times, you would see they talk about hormones and how they are affected during dieting.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/01/magazine/tara-parker-pope-fat-trap.html?pagewanted=all

Leptin is the "anti-starvation" hormone and "starving" is simply having a negative caloric balance. If your body is living off of stored energy and is never storing energy, our brain picks up on the imbalance and senses a period of famine.
    Leptin levels decline drastically in as little as 7 days of calorie restriction, when leptin levels are low our hunger & cravings increase at a rate connected to the amount of decline in our leptin. In an effort to make us search out food. Also when this happens our brain slows metabolism down to prolong the use of our stored energy.
    A diet is really a type of self induced famine and our brain doesn't know the difference.

Now on the flip-side, studies have shown leptin rebounds quickly after a short 12 hour period of overfeeding! :love:

Some people think that having a day of eating higher calories will make them crave it more often, but that just is not the case. Cravings are much less after leptin is increased,

So a cheat/ Spike Day is a solution to the hormone problem dieting creates and it's a huge advantage psychologically having a weekly "day-off"

I've lost over 100lbs and kept it off for several years, I Spike every week, and I exercise about an hour a week. According to the "Fat Trap" article most people in my position (lost a large amount of weight and maintained it) exercise an hour+ daily. There's no way I could do that. Spiking is a much more manageable way to keep the weight off permanently.

I saw this thread and was planning to talk about calling it a 'spike' rather then 'cheat' day but I think Russell pretty much summed it up!

NAILED IT!! :heart: :drinker:

By the way this is AWESOME and you are AWESOME for posting this. You made my day lol

Very interesting - thanks for sharing! A quick question - when you say 'overfeeding', what sort of levels are you talking about? I often eat around 1900 at the weekend, but net 1250-ish, once exercise is accounted for. If my daily net intake is around 1200-1300, what sort of calorific level would I need to be consuming (net again) to count as a spike? Or would a higher-gross-intake day, regardless of net levels do the trick?
  • Russellb97
    Russellb97 Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options

"Cheating" causes a negative connotation, and they are nothing but good for you. A cheat day spikes leptin and metabolism!

If you read the article "Fat Trap" in the New York Times, you would see they talk about hormones and how they are affected during dieting.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/01/magazine/tara-parker-pope-fat-trap.html?pagewanted=all

Leptin is the "anti-starvation" hormone and "starving" is simply having a negative caloric balance. If your body is living off of stored energy and is never storing energy, our brain picks up on the imbalance and senses a period of famine.
    Leptin levels decline drastically in as little as 7 days of calorie restriction, when leptin levels are low our hunger & cravings increase at a rate connected to the amount of decline in our leptin. In an effort to make us search out food. Also when this happens our brain slows metabolism down to prolong the use of our stored energy.
    A diet is really a type of self induced famine and our brain doesn't know the difference.

Now on the flip-side, studies have shown leptin rebounds quickly after a short 12 hour period of overfeeding! :love:

Some people think that having a day of eating higher calories will make them crave it more often, but that just is not the case. Cravings are much less after leptin is increased,

So a cheat/ Spike Day is a solution to the hormone problem dieting creates and it's a huge advantage psychologically having a weekly "day-off"

I've lost over 100lbs and kept it off for several years, I Spike every week, and I exercise about an hour a week. According to the "Fat Trap" article most people in my position (lost a large amount of weight and maintained it) exercise an hour+ daily. There's no way I could do that. Spiking is a much more manageable way to keep the weight off permanently.

I saw this thread and was planning to talk about calling it a 'spike' rather then 'cheat' day but I think Russell pretty much summed it up!

NAILED IT!! :heart: :drinker:

By the way this is AWESOME and you are AWESOME for posting this. You made my day lol

Very interesting - thanks for sharing! A quick question - when you say 'overfeeding', what sort of levels are you talking about? I often eat around 1900 at the weekend, but net 1250-ish, once exercise is accounted for. If my daily net intake is around 1200-1300, what sort of calorific level would I need to be consuming (net again) to count as a spike? Or would a higher-gross-intake day, regardless of net levels do the trick?

It's tough to be 100% accurate on energy expenditure so I shoot a bit high to ensure a calorie surplus. 2X(BMR) pretty much guarantees a surplus unless you are running a marathon.

So for me it's about 5,000 calories.
  • latinqueencee
    latinqueencee Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I dont have a cheat day once a week but at least 2 a month. Prime example, on a Friday I totally binged. I had 3 slices of pepperoni pizza, soda, beef patty with cheese and some chips as a snack. I felt so bad about it but when I got on the scale about 2-3 days later, I actually lost! By no means am I saying to go crazy and eat like I did, but as long as you know that it's ONE DAY, and not a week long or month long event, then by all means eat what you desire and carry on with your lifestyle change the next day.
  • itsuki
    itsuki Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I have cheat meals from time to time, but I always make sure to make room for them in my week (ie, I'll work out longer than usual that day, or be sure to be really careful with the calories in other meals). So I don't typically go over my daily calorie goal - I guess the cheating is the the type of food consumed (chinese food, fast food, booze, etc etc) rather than being over my calorie goal.
  • whit1108
    Options
    I have been giving myself I cheat day during the week or weekend. I dont count my calories or workout that day. I eat whatever I want that one day. I have heard that its good to have one cheat day and it lets your body know that you still will get that types of foods. For me it has worked out fine. I have lost 23 pounds and lots of inch :) So yes i strongly agree that a cheat day is fine
  • JennyZD
    JennyZD Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    After reading Mike Geary's "The thruth about six pack abs" I decided I would incorporate one cheat day per week. If I'm extremely good (by eating clean) for a whole week I make it a cheat day. If not, just a cheat meal. I've lost 18 pounds in less than three months so it's been working for me. According to Geary, it boosts your metabolism by tricking your body into thinking it's not "starving". Plus, it helps me psychologically as well hehe
  • sharonfincher1
    sharonfincher1 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    This journey for most ppl will be a way of eating healthy and exercising for the rest of their lives, so I think you have to learn how to eat the things you enjoy and still maintain your healthy eating lifestyle. I eat what I want, but everything is within moderation. I am accountable for what I eat, and my activities. I log everything good or bad, everyday so that I am accountable to myself. But everyone has their own journey, and what works for me may not work for others.
  • Dolores1019
    Options
    Yes, I make a "spike day " on my weigh in day......which is Monday, when I have all week to undo it....
  • maryblck
    maryblck Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I do a cheat day some weeks, well not really a cheat day as much as a cheat meal and dessert (if available). Instead of cheating the entire day I will pick a specific meal, maybe one I know we are going out to eat or order pizza and just having something that is higher in calories anyway, and not count for that meal and the dessert if we are having one. That way I don't derail an entire week and I also don't derail my motivation! But it is really up to what you feel is best for you, if not counting one day or meal is to much and will make you loss your momentum them maybe you shouldn't! If it wont mess with your head, I say go for it! Good luck!
  • TrudyJo195
    Options
    I have a cheat day and it's usually Friday, if not Saturday. I don't over due it though, but I will have something that I probably shouldn't. I'm still losing the weight.
  • FITnFIRM4LIFE
    FITnFIRM4LIFE Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    I have a free day every Sunday. I never call it cheat..Cheating what? I eat great and workout every week, month etc. This is for life, I would be foolish to think I could not have any type of food I wanted and expect to live this way forever. and if during the week something comes up where its more cals, I work it in or work it off. Deprevation of any sort breeds a longing a cycle of guilt if you eat... not for me.. Sunday is just have what I want and I look forward to it..

W eall have to do, what works for us.. But looking at the entire picture,this is a lifelong commitment. If you deny and use words like cheat, guilt, cant have that...Chances are it will not last. Many people lose all the weight and go back to those foods, they stopped having and gain back their weight.

To me the focus is for life -eating right and staying fIt and healthy and not depriving:-)

80-20:-)
  • kneubee7
    kneubee7 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    This is a great blog! I had wondered what others did. I also try to watch my weekly intake, therefore some days I'm low and others I'm high and at the end of the week it usually evens out. I'm not sure about the not tracking option because I feel like that would totally throw off the MFP summary that I use to keep myself on track.
  • Syreeta6
    Syreeta6 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I have a cheat "meal", not necessarily a whole day. My husband and I usually do date night on Friday, so I eat light and healthy during the day, get in a work out and splurge at dinner. That way it's not so bad!
  • VonRockette
    VonRockette Posts: 159 Member
    Options

You are my new favourite person!!!! I was sitting here feeling so guilty for indulging in my "cheat day". I didn't even go terribly overboard, but I still feel liek sluggish, guilty *kitten*.

This is interesting stuff to read - thank you!
  • dolfn1972
    dolfn1972 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I have free days every Sunday. The point to my free day is to take a break on being so strict on myself. To let my body know that it is going to get other foods and to help with the cravings. I started free days at the advice and approval of a physical trainer. I do NOT go under calories all week to make up for my free day. I do NOT exercise extra to make up for it. If i want to exercise on sunday I do ..if not ..thats ok. One thing I have noticed...the first free day I tend to binge...the day after..I dont feel so well and remember to get back on the program. Each consecutive free day shows less and less binging and more healthy choices.

Also, I do not deny myself during the week. If i want chocolate, I have a taste, if I want a burger, I get the kids size. If i want a soda I buy the half size cans. Starving yourself and constantly saying something is bad for you , you mentally beat yourself up and set yourself up for failure. Have the soda, the cheesecake, the chocolate...in moderation. The goal is to lose the weight...learn how to eat better, condition your body to work out more..and crave it ...and eventually (for me anyways) to be able to succeed with my skinner body without having to log in and track my food and exercise everyday.

Good luck to everyone. If you choose to or not to have a Cheat, Free, Spike day...remember it is what works best for you. There is no cure all one size fits all to any of this weight loss goal we all have. But never ever beat yourself up over it. Or you will fall right back down and be harder to get yourself up.
  • merzback
    merzback Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Ok, get the CHEAT word out of your vocab. I agree with the previous posters. LOVE the word SPIKE day. I call my meal my FREE meal. Cheating sounds too much like the old diet mentality.
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options

It's tough to be 100% accurate on energy expenditure so I shoot a bit high to ensure a calorie surplus. 2X(BMR) pretty much guarantees a surplus unless you are running a marathon.

So for me it's about 5,000 calories.
    [/quote]

END QUOTE

Wow! OK, so I'd be looking at about a 3,400-ish (gross) calorie day here, then, rather than eating 'say 1700-2000 net? What sort of net intake does this day usually produce for you? Sorry to ask so many questions - this sounds interesting, and I want to be sure I've understood correctly.

Seem to have messed up the quote - sorry!