Anyone who has recovered from an eating disorder here?

Options
Hey everyone,

I'm wondering if there are any people who are recovered from eating disorders on here who are now losing weight the healthy way! I am recovering and trying to lose weight the healthy way and would love to make friends with some people who have been there and recovered, and are now on the "healthy" road :)

Thanks y'all!

-Liz

Replies

• clares06
    clares06 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    hi, what a great start to a healthy life, joining this site. i did suffer bulimia last time around was about 6 years ago, on and off from when i wsa a teenager. i recovered, but did gain a bit of weight. i have found this site to be amazing, and not once have i felt the need to relapse, those thoughts have never entered my head. i hope you do well here, and if you need a friend, please add me. xxxxxxxx
  • Behavior_Modification
    Behavior_Modification Posts: 24,482 Member
    Options
    Can't say I'm recovered since the behavior still rears its ugly head. But I'll say I'm "In Recovery" and have been for nearly 2 yrs. I would love to have you as part of my support system!
  • fitterdancer
    Options
    I have, it took a while but I'm finally there :)
  • cortez1954
    Options
    i dont think u ever recover i battle it everyday and for most of my 57 years ..the thing is never give up :)
  • busterbluth
    busterbluth Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Yes; well, a couple times. I'm currently trying to curb a relapse.

There are a lot of us here actually. Here's one group: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/110-eating-disorder-support
  • atiffany1
    Options
    in high school i really took things too far. I ate maybe 500 calories a day and ran cross country, was on the swim team, track team, soft ball team.. there was a lot of exersize and not enough calories. a lot of this came from the pressure from my mom to be thin. She would make herself puke when she got unhappy with her weight though. I havent had to deal with that since high school though and since then I have learned that being the skinniest you can be isn't the way to do things.. Skinniest you can be isn't sexy, curves are, muscle tone is.. good luck in your journey you can do it the right and healthy way!
  • helena9
    helena9 Posts: 34
    Options
    i have not recovered but am in recovery with therapist and dietician - would really appreciate the support and help of anyone that has been through same/similar thing and can sympathise with the ups and downs!
  • helena9
    helena9 Posts: 34
    Options
    i have not recovered but am in recovery with therapist and dietician - would really appreciate the support and help of anyone that has been through same/similar thing and can sympathise with the ups and downs and help me and others finally get rid of these horrid thoughts :( x
  • busterbluth
    busterbluth Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I should also warn you that, at least in my experience, getting into the habit of counting calories here, etc, is just a recipe for disaster as far as eating disorder relapse is concerned. I thought I could handle it and lose weight in a "healthy" way, but I know (at least logically) now that the most I can do is focus on fitness and eating fresh foods without the calorie counting.

I'm not there yet, but I'm trying to take a leap of faith and not log my foods. There are just so many tools here that fuel eating disorder obsession. The smartest thing I could do is delete my account.
  • brindlechewy
    brindlechewy Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    i dont think u ever recover i battle it everyday and for most of my 57 years ..the thing is never give up :)

I agree. I'm doing well now, but there are times when I struggle. Well said and nice dog in your profile pic.
  • whtlatina1214
    whtlatina1214 Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    im not but there is a couple of groups i have seen with plenty of people if your lookin for support
  • Lizzie1484
    Options
    I have struggled with an eating disorder since I have been in high school. I am finally not afraid of food, though I still over eat but am not working on taking off the pounds in a healthy way. I am glad there are others out there in the same boat. Feel free to friend me :) I know how hard the struggle is but you can do it! Just gotta keep trying!!