Spaghetti Squash

Options

Replies

• Sp1nGoddess
    Sp1nGoddess Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Butter, salt pepper & garlic. If you are low carb a cream sauce is out of this world! But like others I normally do a little tomato sauce.
  • myukniewicz
    myukniewicz Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    I bake mine w/ butter, salt & pepper

Sometimes I do eat it with spagetti sauce too :-)
  • bcampbell54
    bcampbell54 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    I'm going to check back later and see how the crock pot idea works, too.
    I've always had marinara sauce with it, though I suppose any typical squash spicie flavors would work too.
    I like the idea of a lasagna or spaghetti casserole. I'll have to try that one!
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    Paprika, chili powder, etc. I like spicy, I eat it with roasted veggies and sometimes red sauce, but normally just the roasted veggies.
  • SMarie10
    SMarie10 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    just salt, pepper and garlic.

I make mine as a lasagna.

1. Halve it and roast flesh side down (at 400 for about 40 minutes)
    2. Remove the inside with a fork (should look just like spaghetti)
    3. Once you have the flesh removed... layer with tomatoe sauce, squash, sauce, cottage cheese (or ricotta) with parmesan, (can also add a layer of meat here), squash, sauce, mozzerella... bake in oven until cheese is bubbly and golden brown.

It's delicious!
    I like the looks of this recipe. I've had it often as a replacement for noodles, but think I will like the lasagna
  • candeee127
    Options
    Hmm I have never cooked Spaghetti Squash in a crock pot before I will be interested to hear how that turns out! I ususally put a little olive oil some garlic and an italian season blend on my spaghetti squash. I have made pesto with it before and have put diced tomatos and seasoning to create a chucky red sauce with either turkey sausage or shrimp. I usually add other veggies or a protein with it.

Enjoy!
  • easfahl
    easfahl Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Lots of great ideas everyone. I've been wanting to try spaghetti squash but was a bit timid since I'm fairly green in the kitchen. Guess I have no excuse now.
  • MightyMom4
    Options
    I eat mine with Garlic, a tiny bit of Salt, Pepper and sprinkled with shredded ramano or parmasan cheese. LOVE IT! That is actually my lunch for today :)
  • acbridges
    Options
    I love spaghetti squash! the only thing that i have ever done to it is add spaghetti sauce and cheese, I guess now I need to find a lower more healthy version of those!
  • boobee32
    boobee32 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I usually just split mine and rub with olive oil, little salt and pepper then put it in a 400 oven for an hour. I freeze it in single serving bags.

I didnt know you could freeze this....GREAT!!

I use lots of Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper on mine. Sometimes I use with spaghetti sauce....yummmmm.
    I love this squash!
  • rachelhohenbrink
    rachelhohenbrink Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    You can eat it just like spaghetti with the sauce on it. It's a great substitute for pasta. A little spaghetti sauce and some salt and pepper. It's delicious!
  • kbtrivet
    kbtrivet Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Try it with ginger, garlic, salt, pepper and a little bit of parmesean cheese mixed together.
  • MelAb8709
    MelAb8709 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I just made this for the first time last week. I started out boiling it, but ended up microwaving at the end because I was getting impatient. Anyway, I didn't season with anything, I just topped w/ sauce . I usually buy a jar of Prego Heart Smart and add mushrooms, green peppers and lean ground beef.
  • dwurth2
    dwurth2 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I just made spaghetti squash for the first time about a week ago and loved it! I tried it to different ways as suggested by friends. Our fav. was with spaghetti sauce on it. I split it (not easy--use a really good knife), scooped out the seeds, then baked it in the oven for about 45 min. It is yummy! I hope yours turns out well!
  • LeiaBeekley
    LeiaBeekley Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    All of these ideas sound delicious. After the marianara, I'll have to try one of these other recipes. Thanks everyone. I'll give an update on how the crockpot idea worked tomorrow. My fingers are crossed because my husband is already thinking the idea sounds disgusting so I need this to turn out good :-)
  • BeckyKSmith
    BeckyKSmith Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I usually just split mine and rub with olive oil, little salt and pepper then put it in a 400 oven for an hour. I freeze it in single serving bags.

I didnt know you could freeze this....GREAT!!

I use lots of Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper on mine. Sometimes I use with spaghetti sauce....yummmmm.
    I love this squash!

Of course I knew you would respond to this. I have to get myself a squash. I bet they are pricey this time of year!
  • ajourney2far
    ajourney2far Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I make mine like spaghetti with sauce - the first day. I microwave it and have never made it in a crockpot.
    My family won't touch it so I have it for a couple of days - I put butter and spices and cheese on it other days.
    I've never made lasagna - sounds good though. I might try this next.
  • pokesfan48
    Options
    I usually bake mine and then serve it with salt and pepper and a little spray butter. I am going to try it with pasta sauce tomorrow night.
  • rkellywhite
    rkellywhite Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Let's up the anti a little bit:

http://www.ambitiouskitchen.com/2011/10/goat-cheese-stuffed-chicken-meatballs-with-spaghetti-squash-basil-gremolata-salad/

Haven't tried this yet, but I'm on it this week!
  • tammy1005
    Options
    That sounds yummy. I just made spaghetti squash last night. Can't wait to try this