There is no silver bullet or magic pill - it takes work

Options
Harsh title but I felt it is needed. Perhaps its that this is the time of year when people decide to be healthier because it's magically a new year, but it frustrates me to watch a truckload of people show up with unrealistic expectations and then give up a week later.

So here's the thing... you want to lose weight? You want to get in shape? You want to look better? Here are some realistic expectations for you:

1) there is no silver bullet or magic diet that will allow you to shed pounds while doing nothing. Sorry. It doesn't exist. And the lazy road is what got us to where we are now. So its time to get OFF of that road.

2) You didn't gain all of your weight in a month, why do you expect you're going to lose it in a month?

3) Excuses are the paving stones to unhappiness and being out of shape. Coddling yourself will get you no where. You are here because you want to lose weight and get in shape? Time to get on the road to do so. Warning: that road is paved with blood, sweat, and tears. Are you ready?

What is realistic? It depends on your body. If you are largely overweight you will lose quickly at first and then slow down as your body "catches up".

This whole starvation craze? Garbage. Utter garbage. You are hurting yourself trying to get fast results. Would you swallow drain cleaner? Eat poison? No? Why not? Starving yourself is like that, it just takes longer to kill you.

If you want to lose weight, you need to workout. That doesn't mean you have to be working out at the level of elite athletes. You have to start somewhere. Walking is a great place to start. Strength training is vital. You need to-get-up-off-your-butt-and-sweat.

SWEAT.

SWEAT MORE.

Does it hurt? Yes. Is it uncomfortable? Absolutely. Does it suck? At first. You start to develop a craving for physical activity after a while. Your body thanks you. Dieting by itself is not enough for most people, and starving yourself because you think you are going to lose quickly so you can go back to your bad habits is not only destructive, but POINTLESS as you will just gain the weight back and then some.

Lifestyle change. If you aren't ready for it, truly ready to change your habits, you will frustrate yourself with failure. You can't diet and exercise for a couple months and then go back to what got you fat in the first place.

Do you want things real or candy coated?

Losing weight and getting in shape takes time. It takes effort. It takes more than trying to trick your body because your body will win every single time.

You must sweat. A lot. You must feel the burn. A lot. You have to want to not be fat more than you want to lay around and eat poorly. So here it is. How bad do you want it? Show yourself how bad you want it. Be realistic.

The road to fitness is not an easy one If it were, nobody would be fat. Tempered through fire the strongest steel is, and the fire here is measured by the blood, sweat, and tears you shed along this road.

If you are ready, get on that road and begin your journey. Temper your steel through the fires of your willpower.

Replies

• tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    *applause*
  • cgrout78
    cgrout78 Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    well said...even though it does suck...and I really REALLY want the magic pill and ten pounds gone tomorrow.
  • RacerX_14
    RacerX_14 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Agreed! Discipline, and dedication are the two keys to what got me to where I am today.
  • TiffanySuscheck
    TiffanySuscheck Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    About weight loss, I heard someone say
    "I did the crime, now I'm doing the time"
    And it's so true. No one wakes up fat, and no one wakes up skinny. Both take work.
  • chatipati1
    chatipati1 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Totally agree..but wish there was a pill!
  • csparon
    csparon Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Love this! Thanks for the great post!
  • Krissie_Triaxis
    Options
    What a fantastic post. Bravo :)

And the daft thing is that harderst part for all of us to realise, and usually it's not until we've tried and failed 100 times then found that the answer was simple all along, is that we are worth the effort...and it does require effort.

A great post, thank you :D
  • NaomiLyn15
    NaomiLyn15 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Agreed! Way to speak the truth. It is a long hard road, and you have to make the committment to reach the finish line. Most people will drop out along the way, but those who make it will be healthy in the end.
  • demery12371
    demery12371 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Wonderful post!!!! Well said. :)
  • Rosebud2411
    Rosebud2411 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    i KNOW EXACTLY WHt you mean .. i lost 40 lbs through hard work and motivation.. mainly mentally more than physically.:smile:
  • nytenurse
    nytenurse Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I hear you . . . any tips for lack of motivation?
  • Sd0510
    Sd0510 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Great post! I am very glad you posted it now.I believe many people are thinking they will change overnight because it is the New Year. Now if only I can post this at my gym for all the new and suddenly "healthy" people that just recently joined. (The ones we know are going to leave in about 2 weeks.)
  • seehawkmomma
    Options
    All the success stories I've read on here NONE of them took a magic pill. It was all down to hard work and good eatting.

Thanks for the good read :)
  • TinaS70
    TinaS70 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    awesome post
  • breyn2004
    breyn2004 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Very well said! I love this!
  • czechsmate
    czechsmate Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Well put, I totally agree and fully embrace all the hard work! :bigsmile:
  • auticus
    auticus Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    We are all motivated by different things.

For me... it's wanting to be treated better by people. I have a book of nasty comments sent my way from strangers and "friends" alike, and that has become like rocket fuel. I started in July at 242 lbs needing to get down to 205 lbs. Today I'm 220 lbs. I'm no more less motivated than I was in July when I started running again. I got up to running 10 miles at the end of fall. Not bad for a fat guy ;)

So why are you wanting to lose weight? How important is it to you? No one else can hand you motivation, it's gotta be in your heart or not. There comes a point where the excuses end and the action begins, and you have to find that road. We all have it in us to achieve greatness, but greatness doesn't just happen.
  • cloveraz
    cloveraz Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I agree with what everyone else said!
  • JimieLou
    JimieLou Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Love this!
  • Trinasan
    Trinasan Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    SO True! Great post. Though.. I really did wake up fat one morning!!