Overcoming the Weekend?

Options
I am not good at weekends at ALL! I just want to spend time with my family, be lazy and NOT care about dieting. Anyone else struggle with this? How are you overcoming the temptation?

I will say, I am proud of myself for dragging my booty out of bed at 4:30 AM on a rainy Monday to go to the gym!

Replies

• Radcliffe83
    Options
    I am the same, I either maintain or eat very close to maintain. So i have a treat but not so much so that I would put on weight.

If you eat more than you burn and put on weight thos get ups at 4.30 could be a waste...
  • NordenJenn
    Options
    I also have a REALLY hard time with the weekends! It's so easy to grab the junk food that my boyfriend has laying around the house. I like getting back to work on Mondays to get back on my dieting!
  • kylashealy
    Options
    Well, this was my first true week doing this dieting and I managed to lose 2 lbs. I just don't want the weekends to be the downfall of this dieting :( During the week I do just fine, surprisingly. Maybe I just need to keep myself going on the weekends.
  • CaeliAria
    Options
    I am exactly the same way. I actually also take the kids and spend the night at a relative's house on Saturdays because I do my laundry over there. So I don't even have my diet foods with me.
    It's also hard because I usually work out before the kids get up but I like to sleep in on weekends. So I have started working out while they are taking a nap on the weekends.
    As far as eating, I give myself a little leeway but I also continue to log every bite here. It helps me stay accountable for what is going into my body.
  • sdailey4
    sdailey4 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Change your thought process, this isn't a diet it's a way of life, start with small changes on the weekends, or plan your weekend meals before the weekend get's here to over come any temptations...that's what I'm going to start doing b/c I failed this weekend and don't want to waste my time all week to let 2 days blow what I am working so hard at 5 days for.
  • rocketpants
    rocketpants Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I have made many permanent changes to the types and quantities of food that I now consume. Because this is just the way I eat now, and not a diet, I carry those habits forward to the weekend. However, I usually do consume more calories on the weekends than the weekdays. This is usually due to eating out or alcohol.

I also am quite likely to go do a fun outdoor activity on the weekend which burns off tons of extra calories, so for me most weekends are a wash.

If you are maintaining or losing weight enjoy your weekends and don't sweat it.
  • kylashealy
    Options
    Change your thought process, this isn't a diet it's a way of life, start with small changes on the weekends, or plan your weekend meals before the weekend get's here to over come any temptations...that's what I'm going to start doing b/c I failed this weekend and don't want to waste my time all week to let 2 days blow what I am working so hard at 5 days for.

Exactly!! :( I don't want to be a negative counter :(
  • _Tristan_
    _Tristan_ Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I absolutely LOVE lying around during the weekend but I have a stock of low calorie snacks around the house for those occasions. Maybe make sure that you have a stock too. Lying around and grazing on OK stuff isn't completely throwing anyone off track, is it?
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    It's gotten so much easier to stick with things now that I'm not 'dieting' ... I'm just living a more healthy and mindful life. I slack a bit on the weekends, because I love being social and eating and drinking socially. The difference is that now I don't gorge myself on bar food every single weekend, I always drink water between beers (that's more for my hangover health than for my general fitness though. I can't be thoughtful of eating right when I'm hungover)... and so far, I have yet to feel deprived or like I'm dieting. This is just the way my life is now.
  • ajrulo
    ajrulo Posts: 50
    Options
    I have the same issue. I have 2 small kids with all kinds of snacky foods around. ugh.
    I don't count my calories on the weekends, I don't work out. I have noticed, the longer I have been tracking my calories, those relaxed no counting days are still no where close to what I was eating on a normal "good" day before I started on here. I am still aware of what I eat, just more lax. Personally, I need a break once a week, otherwise I will feel too restricted and hate dieting all together.
  • Lizzy_Sunflower
    Lizzy_Sunflower Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options

I agree with this. Planning ahead is the key for me. I know I will want pizza with the kids on Friday night, so I may exercise to give me a little extra room in my calorie budget. Pair it with a big salad, and don't eat 1/2 the pizza...I am good.

Saturdays are a big brunch day, so that is all I eat for breakfast And lunch combined...

I don't eat a big breakfast on Sunday, because I know I might want a doughnut at church...

I am all about Not depriving myself and still seeing results. It can Be done, but if you fail to plan....you are planning to fail :wink:
  • kylashealy
    Options

I agree with this. Planning ahead is the key for me. I know I will want pizza with the kids on Friday night, so I may exercise to give me a little extra room in my calorie budget. Pair it with a big salad, and don't eat 1/2 the pizza...I am good.

Saturdays are a big brunch day, so that is all I eat for breakfast And lunch combined...

I don't eat a big breakfast on Sunday, because I know I might want a doughnut at church...

I am all about Not depriving myself and still seeing results. It can Be done, but if you fail to plan....you are planning to fail :wink:

This is exactly what I keep telling myself. I don't want to DENY myself of anything because then I will just get frustrated. Its NOT a diet, its a lifestyle change.
  • katm427
    katm427 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Weekends are seriously my downfall. I don't even know why I come up with every excuse in the book. It gets even worse now because I'm on break from school and every day feels like a weekend.
  • bjshields
    bjshields Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I struggle with this, too. What I do (most of the time, not all the time) is only eat crap that is REALLY good -- i.e., a gooey, chocolately covered mess of deliciousness, versus a kit kat bar (kit kat bar lovers, don't crucify me please). If I'm going to splurge, it's gotta be worth the trip. Good luck to you, it's hard but doable!:happy:
  • lk27
    lk27 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I find it hard to stick to my diet on the weekend as well. I try to use days off to get a really long intese workout in. Since I have time. On the week days I always feel rushed to get a workout in and get everything else done. I try to get a good workout in so that I can splurge a little bit on dinner out or a few drinks.
  • GetFitE
    GetFitE Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I take the weekends off. I workout 5 days a week & watch my diet. I work on the weekends and am at work 12hrs, so it's hard to watch my diet. I try to pack lots of healthy snacks, but I work up more of a hunger because I'm moving the whole shift & I tend to eat more at breakfast and lunch to stay full for the amount of work I'm doing. So by dinner I go over on my calories. I don't stress over it though. I try to still eat healthy--sandwiches and salads, nuts, yogurt, etc.
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    I want to slap myself every monday. Sundays are my WORSE days.

yesterday...

chips & salsa for breakfast
    olive garden for lunch
    Arbys for dinner
  • jojo7218
    Options
    Yes yes yes - Saturday was the worst - went up a pound that day. You are not alone - the week structure with work seems to really help me.
  • mturek
    mturek Posts: 3
    Options
    I really messed up a good week this weekend. It's alcohol that does me in. Drinks are an enjoyable way to relax with friends, but are empty calories, and then inevitably the snacks come out and I go to town. So I'm committing to 2 weeks without alcohol.
  • runaway78521
    Options
    They are very tough for me too. I began training for a marathon, so that means I'll be doing long runs on Sunday. That should keep me under control since I have to get to bed early and feel healthy for the long run on the following day. Those runs keep most of my bad weekend habits away.