How do you get used to smaller portions?

Options
13»

Replies

• kacarter1017
    kacarter1017 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Eat on a small plate- makes it look bigger.
    Add more veggies- fills the plate up more- even 2 or 3 different veggies per meal.
    Cut a sandwich into more pieces- spreads out a bit
    Make sure you are eating from all food groups at all meals, this puts more food on your plate.

Hope these help!
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    gradually.

Exactly.... what I was going to say.
    (It's not about being perfect it's about doing better, bit by bit)
  • khrys1
    khrys1 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I have to measure stuff, and should eventually get a food scale. I also bought a lot of zip lock/tupperware-like containers that are only one cup, to "make" me stay at portion size. Then I also enjoy large portions of stuff like popcorn, that doesn't have a lot of calories!
  • khrys1
    khrys1 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I have to measure stuff, and should eventually get a food scale. I also bought a lot of zip lock/tupperware-like containers that are only one cup, to "make" me stay at portion size. Then I also enjoy large portions of stuff like popcorn, that doesn't have a lot of calories!
  • sirmio
    sirmio Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I want to reiterate what others have already said because it's been very important to me: I can be full and satisfied without eating so much it's hard to breathe.

It was hard to train my brain, but I managed by eating slower and being more social while I ate. To keep from overeating, I'd measure and log the portions before I ate and then let myself get lost in conversation while I ate.
  • dragonairis
    dragonairis Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Eat slowly - no really! It's a little about that 20 minutes to feel full thing, but also about taste and telling your brain 'OK, I'm eating now, shut up."

When I cut down the portions on my lunch, I had no idea what to do - I was starving even though I knew how many calories I just ate. So now I heat up my lunch and wait for it to cool a bit. Then I cut it up and wait a bit longer. Then I eat, one bite at a time. I try to note the flavors in my food, because I tend to be the type of person who inhales her food. The tasting and anticipation help me focus on the tasty goodness and distract me from the portions.
  • cbirdso
    cbirdso Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Make your "snacks" bigger - for example, instead of just an apple have an apple, yogurt and a slice of whole wheat bread. Then, come your next "meal" you won't be starving so it'll be easier to accept smaller portions of food.

I think a very important point is made here. If you get used to all snacks containing all 3 food groups (fat, carb, protein), it helps "train" your stomach to be satisfied with less even at regular mealtimes. This was a tip that I learned from MFP and it really worked for me. While you are eating this 'mini meal' you tell yourself "This is just a snack, I'll eat more at lunch (or whatever)" . When lunch arrives, you aren't as hungry as you would have been without the snack and you can eat less more successfully.
  • kookla33
    kookla33 Posts: 234
    Options
    Wow! Thanks so much to all of you who replied. I will come back and re-read these responses when I feel tempted to pig out and stuff myself. I am looking forward to the day when I don't feel the impulse to do that anymore. Getting closer...
  • newbeautifulme
    Options
    Eating 5-6 times a day, every 2-3 hours really helps. Also, I try to drink 1/2 my body weight in ounces of water and I am sure that helps too. I try to get protein at every meal too so I feel more sustained.
  • sunflowerkb
    sunflowerkb Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Pasta is a big one for me. Bread and cheese and not fat free cheese! But I do eat pasta once a week. I measure it but I still eat it. I save enough calories for the day to allow 2 servings. And the same with cheese. Once a week I have a big ole sandwhich with whatever cheese I want. It works. I don't go over my calories for that day but I keep in mind what I am going to do, it's either at lunch or supper and I try to spread them apart or make sure I do it on a work out day. I just make sure I do because otherwise I will binge and then regret.
  • JigglyPig
    JigglyPig Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    There are times that I'll eat an entire "dinner" before I actually eat dinner! Especially if I'm going somewhere that I can't control the food (a party, for example). I'll eat a HUGE salad of vegetables. I get stuffed from this! Then, it's much, much easier to deal with a small portion of the good stuff (pasta, ice cream, etc.). Stuff yourself full with leafy greens. Then it's easier to deal with a teeny tiny portion of pasta. :)
  • absolament
    absolament Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I snack a lot. So when it's time to eat dinner, breakfast, lunch, I usually can't fit a large portion in my stomach. Lots of small snacks keeps me satisfied, keeps me fueled, keeps me entertained. ;c}
  • armywife1986
    Options
    I have the SAME problem. Eating things with a lot of protein and fiber help. Also, try to fill up with veggies. Examples: if you are eating a wrap/fajita, load up on the veggies. If you're eating pasta, add a cup of spaghetti squash. Before dinner, try to eat a BIG salad. Like someone else, drink water before and after. For me, it's more of a mental thing. I can do everything I mentioned, feel like I'm completely fully, but I'm still craving something.
  • Kath_21
    Kath_21 Posts: 19
    Options
    I use a smaller plate which just kind of tricks the eye into thinking you have a full plate and I also drink a pint of water with my meals and take sips in between every couple of bites. If you eat too quickly your brain won't recognise that your stomach is full.
  • mmonconduit
    mmonconduit Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I haven't used a bowl to eat anything that belongs in a bowl since I've started this program and it has helped alot. I use a coffee mug which is about 1 cup and usually one portion size.
  • susanofscottsdale
    Options
    I'll be totally honest with you here Kookla...and it's probably not going to be fun to hear....

I didn't. I changed what I ate. I am a hungry human being so now I eat a boat ton of food but it is different food- veggies, fruits, green and leafy.

If I tried to eat "regular" food in the correct portions I would starve to death.

I do occasionally eat something like pasta or ice cream and either I save it for a day I can eat a normal serving (from a restaurant or weighed out in the kitchen in terms of ice cream) due to an intense work out, but I make sure that I'm already full on something else first- like a salad or a healthy dinner.

I hope that helps.

Exactly what I was going to say. I don't worry about the correct serving size of pasta, chips or ice cream because I don't eat them. (or eat them VERY rarely).

I eat small meals frequently throughout the day. Basically just enough to take away the hunger, but then I'm hungry two to three hours later, so I eat again. For example, this morning I had Kashi cereal with almond milk, 2 hours later my shakeology with a banana and peanut butter, two hours later a handful of almonds, and now I'm eating my chicken breast on a salad and I'll eat half a sweet potato for my carb. About 3pm I'll have an apple and protein shake. Then I'll have dinner which will be 4-6 oz lean meat and some veggies.

Ditto
  • AdAstra47
    AdAstra47 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Eat plenty of protein, it takes longer to digest and then burns slowly & steadily. So it fills you up for much longer than fat or carbs. When my doctor set my protein at 300g per day, I had to struggle to eat *enough,* I even had to set an alarm on my phone to remind myself to eat. So I would think that if you eat something with protein first, whenever you have a small treat, the protein will fill you up & keep you from noticing that the treat isn't very big.

Also, I had to train myself to pay attention to my food. I live alone, so eating while doing something else (cleaning the kitchen, watching TV, etc) used to be the norm. Now, whenever I eat (especially when eating a treat) I make sure to sit down for a minute and savor it, eat slowly and take time to taste each bite.

Another good trick is to use muffin tins for all your cooking. Every meatloaf or quiche or bread or casserole is split up and baked in a muffin tin. That way, not only is it easy to freeze your food for later, there's also automatic portion control. There's no way to "accidentally" cut yourself a really big slice... :wink:

Hope this helps!
  • PonyTailedLoser
    PonyTailedLoser Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I'm not used to them yet. I still want to gorge :/