Master Cleanse/Lemonade Diet

Options

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    Anyone know anything about this? Started today and wanting some feedback of anyone who has tried it. The good, the bad and the ugly! :tongue:
    Save your money. You don't learn how to eat from a diet like this. And the majority of weight you lose is WATER.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Bronx_Montgomery
    Bronx_Montgomery Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    How about just drinking water?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    This is usually done for 10-14 days. Basically your entire intake of calories consists of the this "lemonade mix." It is 8 oz water, 2 tsp fresh sqeezed lemon, 2 tsp grade B organic maple syrup and 1/10 tsp cayenne pepper. You drink anywhere from 6-12 glasses of that per day. Each evening you take a night time laxative or herbal laxative tea and then in the morning you do a Sea Saltwater flush. It is basically a detox cleanse to clean your system out and with fasting also comes with weight loss. I am just trying to get rid of everything yucky in my body and then revamp the healthy eating at the end of it.
    That's what your liver and kidneys are for.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    How bout you use mfp to track and count calories and drink lots of water to keep help cleanse your system? Just a thought, since that's where we are and all...
  • angeladryer
    Options
    I have been reading up on it alot and apparently lemons and cayenne contain the nutrional vitamens your body needs to survive. I was skeptical too. But, I am not trying this in and of its self to lose weight. I have had gallbladder problems and doing a cleanse was reccomended. I will just be excited for any weight loss that comes with it. I drink frequently and smoke socially so I feel like I have alot that needs to be expelled from my body.
  • onefitdiva
    onefitdiva Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I guess that rumor about eating whole grain, fruits, vegetables, lean proteins, watching your calorie count and exercsing is just a myth. Hmmph.... I have been wasting my time all these months.
  • angeladryer
    Options
    Oh yes! I plan on doing that for sure! I used MFP for a few months a while back loved it. I ended up going thru some family personal stuff and got off track though. In the meantime I found out that I have some gallbladder problems and a "cleanse" was reccomended.
  • TLC84
    TLC84 Posts: 8
    Options
    My friend has done it for 10 days and then stopped and kept excercising and eating right and she was fine but she said she do not think people should go on doing it for a long time period.
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    I heard it worked for Dr. Oz and Beyonce. :flowerforyou:
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    This is usually done for 10-14 days. Basically your entire intake of calories consists of the this "lemonade mix." It is 8 oz water, 2 tsp fresh sqeezed lemon, 2 tsp grade B organic maple syrup and 1/10 tsp cayenne pepper. You drink anywhere from 6-12 glasses of that per day. Each evening you take a night time laxative or herbal laxative tea and then in the morning you do a Sea Saltwater flush. It is basically a detox cleanse to clean your system out and with fasting also comes with weight loss. I am just trying to get rid of everything yucky in my body and then revamp the healthy eating at the end of it.

honestly, if all you're looking for is a detox and a cleanse, talk to your doctor, schedule a colonic and up the water you're drinking. there's no need to do something as drastic as this.

if you really want to feel like you're detoxing, that chinese foot bath thinger - whose name escapes me atm - is pretty decent.
  • angeladryer
    Options
    Unfortunately though my gallbladder only performs at 12% the normal level so it doesn't produce the bile needed to properly digest my food.
  • PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    Oh yes! I plan on doing that for sure! I used MFP for a few months a while back loved it. I ended up going thru some family personal stuff and got off track though. In the meantime I found out that I have some gallbladder problems and a "cleanse" was reccomended.

If this was recommended by your dr, than please call and discuss with your dr.
  • changinmyways72
    Options
    I've tried it a couple of times myself and don't recommend it. After going for so long without any proper nutrients, I began to feel really weak and tired. It made it impossible to get through a work day and I became really snappy with my kids. That was back when I was looking for a 'quick fix' and there just really isn't one. You gain all the weight back that you lose on it.
  • adeinlein
    adeinlein Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I do a cleanse at least once a year; I think it is great. Done right it is not so bad. Day three is the worse, but then you'll start to feel better. I usually go for 7-10 days. I always feel amazing when I am done. I reccommend a sea salt bowel flush so you don't have to worry about the embarrassing dirrhea that can happen at any time. With the sea salt flush you drink a liter of water with 2 tablespoons of sea salt in it. Drink it all at once (it's aweful) and then about 15-20 minutes later you will feel a rumble. Stay in the bathroom for a while. For me I think the whole liter shot out of my butt over the next 30 minutes. I did that for the first three days until the water that came out was practically clear. After your done in the bathroom it should be safe to leave the house and enjoy your day.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    It's utter nonsense (and that is me being charitable...)

Link: http://www.livestrong.com/article/276038-lemonade-diet-danger/

Look, if it kicks starts your weight loss and cause you to transition onto a safer approach following completion then I suppose it serves some purpose.

You will lose mostly water and waste products but little fat. The health benefits to it are non existent and purposefully irritating your GI tract doesn't seem to be the greatest idea in the world but hey there are worse thing to do I guess.
  • monet13
    monet13 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    So.... while I agree with people saying not a good long-term solution, I do think there is something to the lemon-water. I was doing a doctor supervised program in the beinning of my weight loss journey and it involved, among other things, drinking lemon-water 5 times a day; first thing in the morning, before meals and at night. When I asked my urologist about it he said, while he didn't know why it was being recommended, that lemon-water is good for your kidneys and helps to protect against stones which are not uncommon with weight loss. I also think it is supposed to decrease hunger??? So maybe that part is something good to augment the rest of your program :)
  • FatFreeLea
    Options
    The best way to get rid of toxins in your body is to not eat toxic food or put toxic ingredients on your skin (check labels on skincare, lotions, etc). Make some organic green smoothies and nuts. There are much healthier ways to detox than giving yourself lemonade and maple syrups.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    Been ther. Done that. Actually like the taste. Had no long term effect on weight loss, however.

Exercise and a balnced diet are the only way to achieve healthy long lasting weight loss.

There is a billion dollar industry that says different, though.
  • MOMvsFOOD
    MOMvsFOOD Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    I do a cleanse at least once a year; I think it is great. Done right it is not so bad. Day three is the worse, but then you'll start to feel better. I usually go for 7-10 days. I always feel amazing when I am done. I reccommend a sea salt bowel flush so you don't have to worry about the embarrassing dirrhea that can happen at any time. With the sea salt flush you drink a liter of water with 2 tablespoons of sea salt in it. Drink it all at once (it's aweful) and then about 15-20 minutes later you will feel a rumble. Stay in the bathroom for a while. For me I think the whole liter shot out of my butt over the next 30 minutes. I did that for the first three days until the water that came out was practically clear. After your done in the bathroom it should be safe to leave the house and enjoy your day.

But is that really worth it?