Advice from Beer Experts

Options
I joined Meetup and and tentatively planning on attending a meetup tonight for singles at a local beer house. The gimmick of the event is that it's $2.00 burger night, but that in order to get the $2.00 burger (it's plain, on a roll with lettuce & tomato... cheese is extra $) you have to buy a beer.

Now, I've been to this $2.00 burger night before when I was not on MFP and also not as part of a Meetup. The question is... how to negotiate the burger and the beer? The problem is that it's overwhelming to me to choose a beer when there are 77 on tap and over 250 in bottles on the menu. Yes.. that's over 325 beer choices. This place actually publishes a weekly beer menu with full descriptions, but I have no idea how to navigate that. And ordering something as "silly" as a Bud Light (or other light beer) in a room full of beer lovers, seems silly.

However, the whole point is to go out and meet people tonight! Forcing myself to be more social in 2012 :-)

Any advice? Because I really do looooove burgers (more than beer), but I also like trying beers even though I'm not much of a beer drinker and probably wouldn't even finish a pint any way.

Any educated beer snobs amongst us with advice on a "good" beer that would be lower in calories?

Replies

• cheri0627
    cheri0627 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    When there are that many beers, and without knowing what's on the list, it's hard to say.

A bar like that will have Guiness on tap, I'm sure, and that's a beer that's relatively lower in calories.

The bartender and servers should also be reasonably knowledgeable in their product, so you can ask. You're looking for something lower in ABV (also probably a wise idea for a meetup anyway). They can probably recommend a good beer that will fit your bill.
  • shedoos
    shedoos Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Or... buy a beer and give it away/use it as an opening to meet someone...

Keep the burger for yourself...
  • slay0r
    slay0r Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I always go for the German/Belgian ones. If you aren't bothered about calories get there a little early and ask the barman/woman what she recommends. If there's a menu that big there's usually some beers of the week or something so try that too. My favourites they sell in the UK at some bars are Amstel and Heineken, can be found in some places!
  • horaks
    horaks Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I like a lighter tasting beer, so I would go for a Lager or an Ale-

Maybe get on the internet here is a web site and research what sounds tasty-

http://www.drinksmixer.com/desc23.html
  • Nichole23225
    Nichole23225 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    These are all good starting points.... also just visited the restaurant's website "Come enjoy a half pound certified angus beef hamburger, cheeseburger or black bean burger for only $2 with any beverage purchase." And so it seems I could also get a black bean burger. That's got to be better for me than a half pound of Angus?
  • Nichole23225
    Options
    Goodness. This week's beer menu is 20 pages long! http://www.capitalalehouse.com/documents/InnsbrookBeerMenu1-06-12_001.pdf
  • Nichole23225
    Options
    I totally love that idea!
  • Nichole23225
    Options
    Or... buy a beer and give it away/use it as an opening to meet someone...

Keep the burger for yourself...

I totally love this idea!
  • CrazyDaisysMommy
    Options
    Goodness. This week's beer menu is 20 pages long! http://www.capitalalehouse.com/documents/InnsbrookBeerMenu1-06-12_001.pdf

This place sounds like heaven! I would probably plan my exercise and calorie intake to compensate for a splurge. I would probably have half a burger and treat myself to some really unique brews that you normally don't find elsewhere. Then rally the other people there to go out for a night of dancing to burn it all off!
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    These are all good starting points.... also just visited the restaurant's website "Come enjoy a half pound certified angus beef hamburger, cheeseburger or black bean burger for only $2 with any beverage purchase." And so it seems I could also get a black bean burger. That's got to be better for me than a half pound of Angus?
    Any beverage? Does that include non-alcoholic beverages?

If it were me, though, I would probably just get the burger and beer and try to fit it into my calories for the day - or make it a higher-calorie day and eat less tomorrow.
  • Nichole23225
    Options

This place sounds like heaven! I would probably plan my exercise and calorie intake to compensate for a splurge. I would probably have half a burger and treat myself to some really unique brews that you normally don't find elsewhere. Then rally the other people there to go out for a night of dancing to burn it all off!

Heaven? Maybe not. But the other cool thing is that built into the bar... actually embedded in the wood is a strip of ice that runs the entire length of the bar. You know... to keep your beer cold. Very cool.... literally.