Low Carb Breakfast Ideas

Options
fabulis1
fabulis1 Posts: 23 Member
Hello all!

I am starting a lower carb diet and need some breakfast ideas. I really get tired of eggs, so any suggestions you have would be much appreciated!

Replies

• gainess
    gainess Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    turkey sausage, turkey bacon.. i love omelets with cheese and veggies mixed in.. fruit, veggie or protein smoothies
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    Jamie Eason had a recipe for protein pancakes. if you can't find it, message me.
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    i know you mentioned getting tired of eggs, BUT...

there are so many filings you can put in here that surely it cant be boring: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/AggieCass09/view/breakfast-quick-healthy-easy-and-paleo-ish-178603

I also make pancakes with almond meal and protein powder that are low-ish on the carb scale. (1 egg, 1/4 c almond meal, 1/2 scoop protein powder, dash of cinnamon, dash of vanilla extract. Stir and cook) Really good with blueberries!

i also have been known to eat left over meat from a previous meal for breakfast...meat and cheese breakfasts a typical in most European countries.

Good luck!
  • emilydmac
    emilydmac Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    by my calculations- BACON has no carbs. Also sausage, turkey and seafood all have few/zero carbs
  • Denimgirl
    Denimgirl Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt
    sausage patty with cheese
    low carb left overs (I do this a lot when I'm tired of eggs)
    1/2 cup oatmeal with lots of butter and lots of salt
    cooked sausage with egg broke over it and cooked. Top with cheese, sour cream and salsa. YUM
  • jb_sweet_99
    jb_sweet_99 Posts: 856 Member
    Options
    I eat low carb, and it's usually a high protein smoothie made with almond milk for me...it's quick and easy and tastes good. Otherwise it is usually something with eggs and or turkey bacon.
  • CashierCantin
    CashierCantin Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Back when I LC'ed, I made deviled eggs, ate low carb yogurt (Kroger brand), deli meat such as turkey or ham, or left over meat from dinner the night before. I never got tired of eggs so scrambled, hard boiled, deviled were always my go to breakfast.

There is also a nice cottage cheese out there called Michigan Brand. It was a very dense small curd cheese that only had 3 net carbs per 1/2 cup. I would also include that. I sometimes added a little splenda and some berries to make a nice bowl of breakfast goodness.
  • mjbrenner
    mjbrenner Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Full fat cottage cheese
  • AdAstra47
    AdAstra47 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Atkins muffin-in-a-minute recipes are great, you can make all kinds of varieties, only takes a minute in a coffee mug in the microwave. Uses flaxmeal instead of wheat flour. I've also substituted protein powder or almond flour, works fine with all three. Eat it alone or with some peanut butter or sugar-free fruit spread.

Or try one cup of cottage cheese or plain Greek yogurt. You can flavor it with a flavored protein powder (about half a scoop of most brands) or with half a packet of Crystal Light.

If you're tired of eggs, try mixing in different flavored cheeses or different veggies into your morning omelet. Gorgonzola, bleu cheese, smoky cheddar, a wedge of Laughing Cow... spinach, mushrooms, diced bell peppers, shredded zucchini...

Also, crispy bacon strips dipped in hummus: yum!
  • irondaph
    Options
    Some of the greek yogurts have relatively low carb/high protein ratios. Make sure you get the plain yogurt though as the carbs go through the roof in the flavoured varieties...I like to bake some quinoa in the oven and add that to the yogurt with a little fruit..
  • stronglikebull
    Options
    Check out my breakfast for the day :) I eat less than 100 carbs a day and I LOVE my pancake sausage breakfast. Sometimes I do add scrambled eggs on the side too but that starts shoving the sodium pretty high up there.

Basically,
    1/4 cup oats
    1/2 cup cottage cheese (I use Knudsen 2%, I'm sure you can use full fat or fat free if you prefer)
    2 eggs - you can sneak them into your breakfast this way :)

Blend, make into pancakes. I can get about 5 silver dollar sized pancakes or 3 normal ones.
  • i_will2
    i_will2 Posts: 13
    Options
    Maybe because it's your first meal. I usually have a protein shake with peanut butter for my first meal. I eat my eggs about 3 hours later.
  • MelHoneyRocks
    Options
    I like to eat yogurt, and cut up an apple and chopped almonds and mix it all together. Its almost like dessert for breakfast.
    :bigsmile:
  • katiecass
    katiecass Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I make protein pancakes with protein powder and egg beaters, add cinnamon and vanilla for taste. I have used vanilla and choc protein powder and they both are very good!!!
  • Silverstar46
    Silverstar46 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Glucerna shakes are great! They are 200 calories, 2 carb options and prevent sugar spikes. They are made for diabetics, but that is what the Atkins/South Beach/low-carb stuff is - it is a diabetic diet!

The nice thing about the shakes is that they are FILLEd with vitamins and minerals - about 26 different ones that you need. I find them to be filling and at 200 calories (and because I hate eating breakfast) they are perfect for me. :smile:
  • fabulis1
    fabulis1 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    you guys and gals are amazing! Those are all great ideas!

If you don't mind me asking another question:

what do you put in protein smoothies? I like to make a banana strawberry smoothie at home, but very high in carbs.
  • AmberMagdalena
    AmberMagdalena Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Jimmy dean turkey crumbles, the possiblities are endless!

La Tortilla factory low carb tortillas

Greek yogurt and mashed avacado with lemon juice and cracked pepper(sounds gross right?? It's not!)-a bit higher in carbs but the calcium and fiber are worth it

Greek yogurt, sugar free vanilla syrup, blueberries, raspberries, and blackberries.

Body fortress whey powder with Blue diamond unsweetened vanilla almond milk.

filet mignon and cheese sauce
  • CornbreadCountryFed
    Options
    2% Milk fat Cottage Cheese, Carbmaster Yogurt ( only found at Kroger), Smoothie with the yogurt and a handfull of raw Almonds, Better Oats Oatmeal ( Oat Fit Maple and Brown Sugar) it had no sugar and the carbs are low once you subtract the dietary fiber, amd when Im in a rush to make it out the door I grab a Glucerna Shake!
  • AmberMagdalena
    AmberMagdalena Posts: 461 Member
    Options

what do you put in protein smoothies? I like to make a banana strawberry smoothie at home, but very high in carbs.

I like the Body fortress vanilla with the great value (or yoplait) Frozen berry mix. I use water or Blue diamond unsweetened vanilla almond milk. Trust me Blue diamond unsweetened vanilla is the Cadillac of almond milks. If you try silk, you'll be CHOKING it down.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options

switch out the banana for some other berries like raspberries or blueberries. Much lower in sugar so lower in carbs. You could even throw some frozen spinach in it and never know - color might be off though.