Really Badly Upset (c25k)

Options
So...ive been building my exercise strength lately. Ive been doing some kickboxing and can do it for the 15 minute routines and still have energy. I thought, if i can do this, than im going to try the couch potato to 5k program. I figure i'd get through week one and two, then it start getting hard. But today, day 1, i got all dressed in jeggings and a hoodie and running shoes and went to give it a go....did the 5 minute walking....and made it through 3 sets of the 1 minute jog 1 1/2 minute walk before i threw in the towel. My jaw and head are hurting to the point i feel like puking. My fiance said thats probably due to not wearing a hat or headband and clenching my jaw.

but anyways, my uncle who was lazy and overweight did the whole program easy. and im in the healthy weight zone and couldn't even finish day 1. Am i just weak willed and pathetic or have others struggled with this too?

Replies

• badgerbadger1
    badgerbadger1 Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    I struggled with my day 1, so I joined a learn to run clinic. I'm not hugely overweight and thought I could run one minute intervals easily. Wrong. Shoes make a big difference, so I'm told. I ran on some crappy old shoes and paid the price, next day I went out and got properly fitted for a pair of running shoes.
  • donbwee
    Options
    do not get upset. day 1 is always tough. you would be surprised how fast things get better. you did the right thing working in intervals. keep it up and the running time gets longer and walking time will be less. as for the clenched jaw that will ease too when you learn how to breath the right way when running. which I cannot advise you on the right way to do that I still struggle with that. but i do know it gets better the more you run!
  • latinqueencee
    latinqueencee Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    day 1 of c25k IS the hardest, I dont know how fast you were going but can I suggest, slow down and go for endurance rather than speed. speed will come......I never ran before c25k and I just did w7d1....you can do it.
  • loricolwill
    loricolwill Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    The Couch 2 5k program is no joke. I've been through it before and just recently started it again after about a 3 month lapse. I thought since I had done it before...easy peasy. I would start with week 1 but was sure that I would just breeze through it and be ready to move on to week 2 or 3. Wrong! Week 1 kicked my butt! I wasn't able to finish it.

And I remember the first time I went through the program, it took a while before I didn't feel like I was going to die at the end of every workout. Just stick with it...it will come. And if you are still struggling with a week, don't feel bad about hanging out there for a couple of weeks before moving on. I remember weeks 4 and 7 being particularly difficult.

Good luck.
  • Jo2926
    Jo2926 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    You are not weak willed! You did great just going out. keep going - every time you go out it will get a little bit easier, and if you need to spend more than 3 sessions on each week then so be it! When I first started this I only did every other run, so that i got longer walking breaks, and my aim was to stay on my feet for the entire length of the workout even if I had to slow to hardly moving!

And don't worry about your uncle and how easy or not he found it. Everyone is different and its only your progress that really matters.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I aree with your fiance - sounds like you were way tensed up. Try walking and running slower. It can be easier said than done but if you count or pace yourself to music, you'll get there. I can relate too - when I first started out, I was exhausted and when I went running with a buddy, she noticed my arms and shoulders were all tensed up. The more energy your body burns from tensing up, the less energy you'll have for your legs to run.

There's nothing wrong with starting with a slower pace! In fact, that might be why your "lazy overweight" uncle got through it.

ETA: By the way, stop being so hard on yourself!! This was your first time out and you did ok. Better than having sat on the couch and done nothing, right?!
  • runawaydani
    Options
    I agree with all of the above. If you are just starting out running, it may take your body a while to get used to it. Headaches are pretty common at first, especially as your body adapts to the motion. You are working a lot of new muscle groups at once so there may be a shock to your body in the beginning, but eventually it will become second nature. Do your best to relax and find a comfortable motion to start. You can also check youtube for some technique videos that may help correct stride issues.

Good luck with the program and stick with it! It's definitely worth it :)
  • em9371
    em9371 Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    first of all well done!
    you might be running too fast. when you first start off, try running / jogging only just faster than walking. if you need to take longer walk breaks or repeat a week, dont worry about it you will get there, it does get easier it just takes time.
    im 224lbs, 2 months ago i thought i was going to die running for only 30 seconds, now i can run 33 minutes / 2.5 miles! i did this by just trying to run for a little longer each day.
  • zookeepersuzy
    Options
    Don't give up, c25k is challenging! I suggest repeating days until you can complete the workout and then moving forward. Don't try to compare yourself to anyone else though b/c everybody advances at a different speed.

IDK where you live or how cold it is there, but it is possible that you were over dressed & that can totally ruin your run. I also think you need to focus on relaxing during the run. If you notice you are clenching your jaw or fists try to relax and shake it out. I often find myself in an awkward position b/c i'm hunching my shoulders or clenching my hands, so I make a real effort to pay attention to my body and relax it.

Another possibility is that you were going to fast during the run segments. Slow down to a pace that you think you can maintain for the each run that won't burn you out for all the following runs. It is ok if you think you are running too slow. When I started, I was barely running faster than my dh walks. Focus on your endurance first and you can pick up the pace later. For what it's worth, I did c25k last June and I wasn't able to finish all the 3 min runs when I started but yesterday I ran for 2 hours walking only for about 1-3 mins after every mile for water.
  • WowieGarcia
    Options
    C25K graduate here. I know your pain. When I first started running, I always got earaches, accompanied by headaches. I thought too that my heart was going to burst through my chest. And of course, the requisite side pain. I learned that I was going too fast, so I slowed down. I also learned proper breathing. I breath In and out though my mouth because I find that I don't get enough oxygen if I breath in through the nose. That pretty much took care of all the pain I felt when I ran. I have since ran 3 5K races with a personal best of 33 min. It also helps to have nice running gear and clothes. Looking good while working out is a plus to me, LOL!
  • krissa3670
    krissa3670 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I tried it today for the first time and got as far as you, felt a bit sickly and had aweful burning in my shins and couldnt breathe. I wont give up though i will do the same on Wednesday and will continue doing the first one over and over until i can complete it. Please feel free to add me if you like.
  • CrazyBiscuit
    Options
    I did a c25k program that was offered through a running store. The coaches would run next to us and ask us questions. You should be able hold a conversation with someone (or yourself) when running or you are going to fast and need to slow down. Granted I was never very good and the conversing part and would wish the coaches would shut up but it did help to slow down.