What are the best photos and images for motivation?

Options
So I have this vision board, a collage of images of "things" I am striving for. One of them, obviously, is a healthy, slim body.

People keep telling me to hang pictures of bikini bodies around the house as a motivator. But I wonder - is it more motivating to hang fat pictures of myself to remind me that I don't want to look like this? Or is that too negative? Every time I see a bad/overweight photo of myself I feel like I should eat a salad.

Replies

• jpaw1002
    jpaw1002 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I'd say a combination. I don't like looking at tons of pictures where people are super skinny b/c it makes you depressed.
  • fink21061
    fink21061 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Instead post pictures of yourself and each time you progress a little further another picture. You can see how you change and how much you like it.
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    I personally believe that digging deep and writing down reasons why you are on the journey would be much more motivation. try the activity in my blog: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/H_Factor/view/recipe-for-a-will-power-pill-for-help-with-the-mental-part-of-the-journey-155978
  • TurtleCrush
    Options
    I like looking at my fat pictures because then it reminds me that I can't quit. Slim bodies always make me want a candy bar because I feel like I could never be them. When I look at me as I am FULL-BODIED it makes me have honest goals about myself and my body. I think its important to love the person you see in the mirror regardless of size.
  • fitplease
    fitplease Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    What about hanging up progress pics along with your weight loss goals? Add some motivational sayings and pictures of things you would like to accomplish, e.g. running a 5K, wearing a bikini, fitting into a strappy dress, etc.
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Any fat picture of me.
    There is this one where I look like a rooting hog.

Anytime I slip in motivation, I just look at it, and POW!
    Instant motivation.
  • ni3121
    ni3121 Posts: 9
    Options
    I think pictures of places might be motivational such as the beach or a hiking trail. Anything to keep you motivated!
  • Melk967
    Melk967 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    There used to be a thread a while back where people posted pictures of their goal bodies...models, actresses/actors, jillian michaels, etc. There were some models/actresses (i think of mainly non-causian ethnicities mainly...they've got it right lol) who were toned, but not stick thin toothpicks. Maybe find pictures of people like that to put up? More realistic!
  • StrongerJess
    StrongerJess Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I think it really has to do with you. It depends on if you are more motivated by fat pix or bikini pix. For me, I just put up simple pix on my fridge that remind me of my goals. It really is all about what works best for you. Just try a combo of things and find out.
  • Dtrmnd86
    Dtrmnd86 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I find the fat pictures to be more motivating for me. At first, when I hadn't lost any weight, looking at them made me depressed and just cave into eating a lot. Now that I've lost a decent amount and can see a difference, they work wonders for my motivation. I'm actually embarrassed to know that people actually saw me like that and that I allowed myself to become so large. Use which ever motivates you most.
  • edyta70
    edyta70 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Instead post pictures of yourself and each time you progress a little further another picture. You can see how you change and how much you like it.

^ I agree :)
  • fusiongal
    fusiongal Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Thanks all! I do agree with the combination. Maybe one of "me now" and one of how I want to be. And a progression would help! That's fab.
  • Smokey19
    Smokey19 Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    I have a photo of myself before I started losing weight. It reminds me of how far I've come and inspires me to keep working on losing the weight.
  • CourteneyLove
    CourteneyLove Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    i have posted NO EXCUSES everywhere and it helps so much. it is a constant reminder telling me not to eat bad.. or be lazy. i love it and it's my 'theme' this year.

edit: everywhere as in my phone background, desktop background, walls of my room, car, etc