First week

Options
Today marks one week since I started my journey. Most everyone has told me that in my first week I will more than likely lose 5 or so pounds due to water weight. But I only lost 2...
It's frustrating because I have worked hard. I have exercised everyday, and was under my cal goal every day (except yesterday)...so is there somethig I'm missing? Or am I just not "typical"......

Replies

• chipka
    chipka Posts: 3
    Options
    First thing to consider, yesterday you went over your calorie goal. I don't know about you but when I mess up and go over it's not by a little, it's by a lot and usually with really bad stuff. I'm not going over my goal with grapes it would be with potato chips or something just as salty. So if you went over goal with something salty and then weighed yourself today, you're not going to see the true results of your hard work. Give yourself another week, stay on target and whatever you do make sure that if you mess up, you don't do it the day before you get on the scale. Good luck!

Another thing to consider is, how much do you have to lose? I have to lose about 120 lbs so for me 5 pounds in water isn't inconceivable. If you don't have that much to lose then you're probably not retaining that much water also.

Besides 2 lbs is a great start! Keep at it.
  • ItsAliciaMarie
    Options
    I am thinking that the "typical" isn't so typical. lol... To lose healthily, you want to try and stay around 2 lbs a week. So I don't see anything wrong with the 2 you have lost! I will actually congratulate you! It's a great start! :)
  • Melk967
    Melk967 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    5 lbs is a lot for one week! You don't want to go too quickly. 2 lbs is marvelous!
  • mego07
    mego07 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different and there isn't a "typical" when it comes to weight loss. Don't get discouraged! 2 lbs is a great accomplishment and be proud. Lots of cardio and healthy eating is what does the trick. I have noticed my clothes are what tells the story of slimming down before my scale does and that is all that matters to me. Add me if you'd like some additional support. We all can use it!
  • Kolohe71
    Kolohe71 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different so don't be frustrated or discouraged by a 2 lb loss. This is a marathon NOT a sprint. You are right on track.

I also went and looked at your Food Diary and have a few suggestions: 1) Eat more on your wordout days. Staying under your calorie goal is what you're after, but try and keep it to less than 50. This is especially important for females as your lower calorie requirements put you closer to a possible "stavation mode" scenario. 2) Drink more water. On most days you only logged 3 or 4 cups. 8 cups should be considered a minimum.

Keep up the good work.
  • ericalyn93
    Options
    First thing to consider, yesterday you went over your calorie goal. I don't know about you but when I mess up and go over it's not by a little, it's by a lot and usually with really bad stuff. I'm not going over my goal with grapes it would be with potato chips or something just as salty. So if you went over goal with something salty and then weighed yourself today, you're not going to see the true results of your hard work. Give yourself another week, stay on target and whatever you do make sure that if you mess up, you don't do it the day before you get on the scale. Good luck!

Another thing to consider is, how much do you have to lose? I have to lose about 120 lbs so for me 5 pounds in water isn't inconceivable. If you don't have that much to lose then you're probably not retaining that much water also.

Besides 2 lbs is a great start! Keep at it.

You are right! I ate extremely poor yesterday. I had chinese for lunch (bad!), but I was just "in one of those moods" that I really didn't care! lol. I also didn't think about the fact that I was going to weigh in today...oops! And I have about 50 (ish) pounds to lose. I know I want to lose 50, but once I get there I will see how I feel.
    But like you said, I will work harder for next week
  • grapenutSF
    grapenutSF Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    2 lbs is very respectable for the first week! Chin up, sista, and settle in.