Sugar! I always go over and do not know why...

According to MFP, I eat too much sugar. But the sugar I eat is from fruit! When I look at my largest intake of sugar, the bananna and apple I ate today are the largest suppliers of sugar.

Anyone have insight?

Replies

• Shoechick5
    Shoechick5 Posts: 221 Member
    I'm exactly the same way and honestly, if it's coming from a moderate amount of fruit, I don't care.
  • cecilia0909
    cecilia0909 Posts: 188 Member
    I took sugar off because I eat a lot of fruit and I don't want the evil red to come up lol
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,294 Member
    I beleive the amount MFP has is for added sugar (not from fruit or milk) but cannot distinguish between types. This is the main reason I don't even bother tracking sugar and unless you are prone to or have diabetes, there is no reason to track sugar here. Try tracking other nutrients instead.
  • RosieStringer9
    RosieStringer9 Posts: 16 Member
    Fruit sugars are the best kinds of sugars to be eating, so unless you have health reasons to avoid all sugars, I wouldn't worry about it! =)
  • blink1021
    blink1021 Posts: 1,115 Member
    As long as it is natural sugar and not from lets say a candy bar you should be fine. Just be careful on fruit intake I made the mistake once and thought eating fruit isn't bad for you, but you eat too much it will land you in the bathroom.
  • firesoforion
    firesoforion Posts: 1,017 Member
    I wouldn't worry about it if it's coming from fruit and you're staying in your calorie limit.
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Because they are high in sugar. The thing is if it's sugar from fruit then you're also getting the other good things along with it. Look at the other source of sugar and cut back on those, but as long as you aren't overdoing it, don't sweet the fruit.
  • serad
    serad Posts: 1
    Bananas have too much sugar, so when dieting you should only eat bananas if you are running or doing intense cardio. Otherwise, an apple a day is ok, but stick with berries (strawberries, blackberries), cantelope and grapefruit. Grapes also have a ton of sugar.

I still go over every day, too. I figure its better to go over for eating fruit than a slice of cake : )
  • nevareg
    nevareg Posts: 260 Member
    I took sugar off, I was always going over, and it wasn't from candy bars or junk, just apples and bananas and smoothies. It's a healthy sugar so don't lose sleep over it!
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    sugar from fruit is okay to consume, it has more benefits than let's say a snickers bar. those commercials about sugar being sugar are bogus.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,294 Member
    Bananas have too much sugar, so when dieting you should only eat bananas if you are running or doing intense cardio. Otherwise, an apple a day is ok, but stick with berries (strawberries, blackberries), cantelope and grapefruit. Grapes also have a ton of sugar.

I still go over every day, too. I figure its better to go over for eating fruit than a slice of cake : )

that is BS, I do very little cardio and eat bananas. Just ignore sugar and pay attention to your macros (Protein, Carbs, and fat, along with your food choices to get you there)

Sugar is not bad for dieting. If you are in a caloric deficit you will lose even eating 300 grams of sugar/day. I am not recommending eating that much sugar.
  • Mdin1029
    Mdin1029 Posts: 456 Member
    I also go over most days due to fruit and yogurt. I only buy the low-fat PLAIN greek yogurt but it can have s up to 9grams of sugar per serving, add a small apple and a few berries in my home-made smoothie and I'm over for the day.

I do agree that bananas and other super sugary fruits should be limited but not cut out completely. I put half a banana in a smoothie (I am a runner) instead of the whole banana, I only eat dark chocoalte if I want something sweet (less sugar) and I use stevia in my tea.

I know you can keep your calories low even while eating too much sugar as someone mentioned but I don't think that is ok. Too much sugar (even from fruit) is not good for us. Dr. Oz has a great animation that shows how it effects our bodies inside and out, I'm sure you can find it on youtube.

I don't think you should take off or ignore the sugar content. I keep it there and try to not go over every day by focusing more on vegetables than fruit. I like to have it there to keep my away from fruit juices (I used to love orange juice, well I still love it but don't drink it anymore and jamba juice). It also makes me check labels (especially on yogurt or oatmeal) very carefully.
  • Leigh2778
    Leigh2778 Posts: 57 Member
    I go over every day, too, but I'm going to continue keeping track. I eat way too much processed food, and that's where a lot of my sugar comes from, along with the fruit. So I'm going to make the little changes and slowly decrease my sugar (processed food) intake.
    If most or all of your sugar is coming from fruit, I wouldn't worry too much (unless you are diabetic, like someone said).