Can't stick to the 30DS :/

Options
Hi everyone, I'm on track with my eating and have lost 4lbs this week but I also started Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred last monday and you have to do it everyday, only for 20 minutes but I find it hard to keep to the schedule as I have a young son and when I do have free time I don't always want to use it by doing the shred. Not to say I don't like exercising I just don't like doing it everyday it becomes a chore for me which I don't want.

I can probably exercise (dvds and weights) around 2-4 times a week around 45 minutes. Is this enough? Im 5ft2 wanting to lose the last 10lbs and tone...

Replies

• CandiceS86
    CandiceS86 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    You are not suppose to do 30DS every single day. You can do it 4-5 times a week if you want to so don't worry about that! It's a great workout!
  • dirtbikegirl5
    dirtbikegirl5 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    We are MFP friends for a good reason. I am also 5'2" and trying to get rid of the last 10 pounds.
    When I started 30 DS, everyone told me that it was okay to have a rest day. I can't tell you, for sure, but I think that exercising 3 to 4 times per week for 45 minutes and eating properly should help you to lose the weight. Maybe someone else will have more insight on this.
    You are right that, when exercising is a chore, it is no longer fun.
  • justle
    justle Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    why not compromise and do the shred every other day?
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    I did it almost every day, but it did take me 37 days to complete the 30 workouts b/c I just HAD to take a few breaks here and there. Taking a day for rest does not make your results disappear, it can even be beneficial to allow your body to recover if you are really pushing it hard during that workout. I would say *try* to do it every other day, but regardless the point is no matter how much you are able to exercise, you are doing more than what you would normally do.

The main thing for weightloss is making sure you are creating a moderate calorie deficit (sticking close to that number that MFP gave you for daily calories), and throwing in the Shred 3 or 4 times a week will really help you tighten up as you're shedding those last few pounds.

I find it easiest to get in my workouts when my littlest kiddo is napping or occupied with a meal in the highchair. :-)
  • alicia_louise29
    Options
    Ooo OK thanks everyone! I feel so much better now, I really did think everyone was doing it literally everyday maybe the one off day. I can definately stick to it then and yes dirtbikegirl Im going to ask you for help next time lol

I want to try and mix my exercise up too and add another workout in. Has anybody done a Davina workout? If so would you recommend it?
  • lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    i am so confused on this b/c i have been told you have to do it for 30 days straight, 10 days at each level.... then i have heard you don't? what does one believe....
  • megmay2591
    megmay2591 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    i am so confused on this b/c i have been told you have to do it for 30 days straight, 10 days at each level.... then i have heard you don't? what does one believe....

I've searched this topic for a while, and found that in an interview Jillian apparently said it was not meant to be done everyday.
    I say take a break if your body needs one, you're only going to hurt it if you don't take a break.
    I am on day five and took a jog on my off day, and did another JM video another day I wasn't doing 30DS. I felt great doing my workout today
  • soccerella
    soccerella Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Ive tried it twice and didnt complete it either time

might try it again next month though!
  • alicia_louise29
    Options
    Yea I've heard you have to do it today your not really supposed to rest your body because its only 20 mins a day. I'm going to continue the shred just not on daily basis and mix it up with other workouts as I tend to get bored with it.
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    Yea I've heard you have to do it today your not really supposed to rest your body because its only 20 mins a day. I'm going to continue the shred just not on daily basis and mix it up with other workouts as I tend to get bored with it.

If you are really hurting the next day, your body NEEDS to rest. Your muscles sometimes need time to recover. Some people can do it every single day just fine, others find that they really have to rest or else they are not able to put forth their best effort. 30 Day Shred is a great program, I got awesome results from it, but it's not a magic formula that you have to follow a specific way in order for it to work - it's exercise and just like all exercise, different people have different abilities and some need to rest for recovery. And it's perfectly fine to sometimes do the Shred and sometimes do something else. It's ALL exercise and it's all good for your body. :-)