Turkey Tacos

Options
Hello my fellow MFP's,
I'm going to make turkey tacos with my lean ground turkey tonight, I have a taco seasoning and all the fixings, but was wondering if anyone had a kick butt recipe? I'm new to cooking so the simpler the better :)

Thanks!

Replies

• incu311chick
    incu311chick Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    If you already have taco seasoning then you are all set. Just brown the ground turkey with the seasoning. I like to have spinach, diced tomatoes, and onions on top of mine. For a healther topping I use 1/2 diced avocado with some Valentina hot sauce(0 calories!). If you want a homemade taco seasoning mix I have a good one as well. I would also recommend buying Mission corn extra thin tortillas as they are low in calories too.
  • sgwnec003
    Options
    Turkey tacos! I had never even thought of that. Tacos are a favorite here at our house.
  • new2locs
    new2locs Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Here's a sure fire way to make your turkey tasty. Use one packet of Lipton Onion Soup mix, cumin & a mexican seasoning called adobo. If you try this I promise you you will never buy prepacked taco seasoning again!
  • supergirlie00
    Options
    Sounds interesting worth a shot!
  • roxxanna
    Options
    Turkey tacos are one of my favs! I have recently found ground chicken too! I like making ground turkey or ground chicken meatballs and eating with a crisp green salad!
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to share this recipe with yall! Its a Ground Turkey Taco recipe from the South Beach Diet (and let me tell you, that diet really does work...and FAST! That is if you can afford to buy all the foods it requires and the time to prepare it.). Anyway, I tried these tacos today and they are delicious!!! Low in cals too :-)

Ground Turkey Taco

1 lb ground turkey (93/7 recomended)
    1 bunch lettuce
    1 -2 garlic clove , chopped (optional)
    1 tablespoon canola oil or 1 tablespoon olive oil

taco seasoning (recipe follows)
    1 tablespoon chili powder
    1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
    1/4 teaspoon onion powder
    1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
    1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
    1/2 teaspoon paprika
    1 1/2 teaspoons cumin
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon pepper

Condiments of your choice:
    chopped onion , and
    chopped cilantro
    shredded low-fat cheddar cheese or mozzarella cheese
    light sour cream

Directions:

Mix to combine spices for the taco seasoning. Heat skillet on medium heat and add oil. Add turkey and cook over medium to medium high heat while breaking up the meat with a spatula. After 3-4 minutes add chopped garlic and taco seasoning.

Continue to cook until turkey is done.

To prepare tacos, use leaf lettuce as a taco shell and add condiments as you choose.

I didn't use any garlic cloves or condiments and it was still delicious! If you dont like spicy, then I would suggest 1/2 tbsp of chili powder instead of 1. Maybe a dash of red pepper flakes instead of 1/4 tbsp. For a side I had a half a cup of 1% lowfat cottage cheese, 80 cal.

Here is the calorie breakdown:

1 lettuce leaf = 10 cal
    1 oz turkey (2 tbsp) = 43 oz
  • Deborahzell
    Options
    WOW that sounds yummy, Im going to try it.
  • Bear811
    Bear811 Posts: 14
    Options
    That recipe and ideas sound great.... thats a great idea for dinner one night :)

Thanx a mil the recipe sounds yum