Alli

Options
I just read the entire website for Alli. I've lost 17 lbs in about 3 months and still going strong. I am thinking about adding Alli to my program until I lose an additional 13 lbs and reach my goal and shift to maintenance. Any feedback would be great!

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,402 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Anal leakage comes to mind.
  • TyneeKitty
    Options
    I've never heard of anyone having good experiance with this. If you eat too much fat while on it, it gives you uncontrollable and sometimes suprise diahrea. You have to be very very careful
  • kacollins1970
    kacollins1970 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Search for "Has anyone tried/had success with Alli?" in these message boards. Lots of responses and they don't sound good! Anal leakage seems to be the big deciding factor. :sick: Just continue with eating healthy, exercise, etc.
  • bartoli64
    Options
    Anything that includes "anal leakage" sounds pretty bad.... This was the first time I tried posting here (or on any blog for that matter) I bought Alli at Sams on Monday and started Monday night. So far so good, I'm already on a low fat diet so I'm sure that helps, and I haven't taken with meals with basically no fat, like the salad bar. I'll try and remember to update this thread with my progress. I'd love to bump my 4 lbs a month progress up to 6 =)

PS - the photo is of me, but enhanced by an Iphone app to give me a ginormous chin....
  • ZoeSmith321
    ZoeSmith321 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Hiya
    Taken correctly they certainly do what they say on the tin. I've had good succes with them. I think the key is not to go overboard on the 'bad' fats - put it this way', if you work Monday to Friday make sure you only have takeaway on a Friday night and stay close to the bathroom all weekend!
    Anyway, best of luck on your journey.

Zoë
  • netsirk12
    netsirk12 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I have taken them and I think they helped a little. The "bad" effects only happen if you don't follow the diet. In fact I still have 3/4 of a bottle left but I am not sure I can take it since my gallbalddar removal. It advises you discuss with a dr if u have liver, kidney or gallbladdar problems. If someone has been taking this without their gallballar please let me know because obvously then it is safe to take it! :)
  • ManchesterBlonde
    ManchesterBlonde Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I took Alli back in September-October 2010 and although it did work (with a few nasty side effects) the worst side effect was that I suffered gallstone pain and in April 2011 I had to have my gallbladder removed. Later in the guidance it stated it could cause gallstones etc... My opinion - do without and just follow a healthy diet and exercise plan.
  • saragato
    saragato Posts: 1,154
    Options
    I had the prescription version of Alli somewhere either in 09 or 2010, I believe my physician told me it was stronger than the over-the-counter type. In the short time I took it, all I can say is it didn't take much to trigger painful cramping and constant bathroom visits with that foul feces. I was actually scared because my BM was traffic cone orange.

To me it seems to be one of those things you have to really monitor your intake because of the "consequences" if you don't and personally that's not the type of diet I'd want. Everyone's different though and obviously it works for some folks if it's still on the market and still recommended.
  • BrunetteRunner87
    BrunetteRunner87 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    I've researched Alli. I did take it for a little while. I'm not sure if it worked because I only used it for a week (I couldn't afford it). But I didn't have any problems with poo. I don't eat much fat.

I've researched it then and again a couple months ago, people complain about the poo problems, but generally it seems like you're ok as long as you take it how you're supposed to (smaller amounts of fat). So if you don't mind watching your fat closely and you can pay for it, I say go ahead it's worth a try.
  • lizzardsm
    lizzardsm Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I took Alli and I loved it!! I lost about 35 lbs when I was on it. The thing about Alli is that you HAVE TO READ THE DIRECTIONS. They go over how some diets are not conducive to alli (South Beach is borderline & Atkins is a no no, anything that advocates ultra low fat or no fat is also no no). You need moderate amounts of fat at every meal in order for it to work (ie. 12-15 grams of fat/meal). If you are going to the salad bar - don't bother taking the pill. They recommend that the min amount of fat/meal should be 10g of fat - anything less than that and the pill won't be useful.

Yes. If you are not counting your calories at every meal meticulously you could end up with the treatment effects (farting droplets of fat is NOT fun!). But if you are actually serious about your diet and are willing to plan you meals carefully it helps sooooo much.

My body is super resistant to weight loss. I can exercise, count calories, cut carbs, etc and nothing works. Alli always helps me lose weight. To me, it's a godsend. I eat great and have fat free snacks (carrots, yogurt, popcorn, etc) in between my meals. Fearing the treatment effects really forced me to stick to the diet. Just don't do it if you are not COMPLETELY serious about your diet and weight loss.
  • wells0707
    wells0707 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Don't do it! I had a coworker try it and she had some disgusting experiences.
  • KMJ1686
    KMJ1686 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I've taken Alli before. Will start it again in a few days. The last time I did take it I had great success. I lost about 35lbs and felt great. I followed it just as I was supposed to, counted calories, fat, and sodium. Member andante92 hit it right on with what you are supposed to do. You just have to follow the program because you will know when your not. This is not for someone who likes to "cheat" and have a little more of this and a little more of that. It will work. Good luck!