New to site - trying to not get discouraged

Options
Seems like I have trouble sticking to the 1200 limit. I feel like I'm careful for breakfast (fresh fruit, etc) & lunch (salad) but still use up so many calories that by the time supper rolls around I can't just make that 1200 limit.

Still trying to figure out how to work "formal" exercising into the program - I'm up alot & move around alot - but with school just have not had time to do any formal type of working out.

With summer just around the corner hoping that I'm able to get a routine going.

Replies

• Zara11
    Zara11 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Seems like I have trouble sticking to the 1200 limit. I feel like I'm careful for breakfast (fresh fruit, etc) & lunch (salad) but still use up so many calories that by the time supper rolls around I can't just make that 1200 limit.

Still trying to figure out how to work "formal" exercising into the program - I'm up alot & move around alot - but with school just have not had time to do any formal type of working out.

With summer just around the corner hoping that I'm able to get a routine going.

1. you get used to the 1200 limit
    2. if you exercise, you can eat more - doso over weekends, or just wait till summer
    3. if it's too hard, do a week of 1200, do a week of a smaller weight loss goal. i switch when i feel overwhelmed. maybe stick to a smaller goal till summer?
  • MOMOFTWO29
    MOMOFTWO29 Posts: 8,276 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome to MFP. I think you will love this site. I do. This site is so supportive, helpful, motivational, easy to use, and everyone here is so nice and friendly. I just wanted to wish you success on your weight loss journey. You can do this!!!!! :smile: :flowerforyou: :smile: :flowerforyou: :smile: :flowerforyou:
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,999 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
    It helps me to plan and log my food for the whole day before I eat anything. I do it the night before. Then I can change things around so I don't run out of calories.

I try to stick to nutrition dense foods so I get a lot of nutrition in the fewest calories. Avoiding sauces, juices, gravy, condiments, and salad dressing allow me to get a lot more to eat in fewer calories.

you can a lot more to eat on fewer calories from veggies rather than fruit

Keep asking questions and keep checking out all the features of MFP. You'll find the answers and the support you need to be successful

Try exercise DVDs as a way to get formal exercise in a limited amount of time.
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • kelligirl
    kelligirl Posts: 210
    Options
    I'm at 1250 calories daily and I eat *alot* - I also eat numerous times per day. 7-9, 9-11, 11-1, 1-3, 3-7 - - - just not alot each time. :bigsmile: What I discovered was that I had to learn to make better choices. I had to learn the values of different foods.
    For example:
    Ball Park Frank = 180 cal -or- National Hebrew 97% Fat Free Beef Frank - 45 cal.
    1/2 c. Lowfat cottage cheese = 80 cal -or- 1/2 c. 4% fat cottage cheese = 110 cal.
    1/3# 85/15 Beef Patty = 310 cal -or- Grilled chicken breast = 190 cal.
    1/2 canned corn = 90 cal -or- 1 c. steamed cauliflower = 68 cal. -or- 1 c. steamed broccoli = 25 cal.
    Liver & onions had a whopping 500+ calories...... have to really plan for that one!
    Weight watchers or Sargento's lite string cheese = 50 cals -or- regular string cheese = 80
    Sara Lee 45 cal wheat bread = 45 cal -or- Sara Lee Homestyle wheat bread = 100 cal.

Huh. :noway: What do you know? Big differences.

Better choices add up. I find that if i post my food before I eat it, I can make better choices before it's too late and I've already eaten it. Don't be discouraged. And yes, don't forget that exercise will give you additional calories as well. Just stick with it. If I can do it, anyone can do it.
  • fiftyandfit
    fiftyandfit Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Welcome and good luck!

I find that food journaling works well.........and PLANNING!!!

On your day off, cook several chicken breasts, weigh into
    3-4 oz servings and put in zip lock bags. Easy to grab and put in a salad or
    ........while your in the shower, steam some veggies in the micro.

Just remember, DIET is a 4-letter word! This is a lifestyle change.....
    and exercise is a MUST!

:flowerforyou:
  • kariadams
    kariadams Posts: 24
    Options
    If you are having trouble sticking to your 1200 calorie limit, try using some foods from GNC. I use the Wheybolic Extreme 60 for breakfast, and the Detour Protine Bar as a meal replacement for lunch on those busy days. A WORD OF CAUTION!!! Do not use this as your primary source of food all the time, you will get sick of the stuff and when you need it you will not want to eat it. Also you will need to exercise while consuming these products. I also use the internet for low calorie, low fat, or low carb meals for dinner. Dinner is where I mess up the most. good luck to you
  • nesreen_lange
    Options
    Am I the only one that thinks 1250 calories a day is not enough? I am new to the site so I don't know if we are able to see your size now, but unless you are 5 foot and trying to weight 110 pounds, 1250 calories is not much!!

I think you are supposed to have a goal weight, multiply by ten and then add the weight in. SO i am 5'8, I would like to weight 160.

160*10+160 = 1760 calories a day.

so maybe you are trying to be 110 pounds (110*10+110=1210) but if you aren't, then up your calories for now! you will be more likely to stick with it and less discouraged when you do go over.

after you get to your goal weight, then you could slash your calories and give yourself a new goal weight. :)
  • back2school
    Options
    Thanks for your encouraging words - I'm plugging away!
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    yes, nesreen is probably right, you might want to re-evaluate your goals dear. 2 lbs a week is unreasonable for someone with only 13 lbs to lose (a better choice would be around 1/2 lb per week or less), you want to think about small deficits, and SLOOOOWWWWW weight loss, trying to lose too much too fast is only going to frustrate you.