Gaining my weight back

Options
:embarassed:

When I first started losing weight was right after I had my baby Jan 2010, I lost a total of 60 lbs. I was working at home and able to REALLY choose what I ate. Now I am back in the office and wanting to snack constantly. I LOVE food. My family is very passionate about cooking. It seems it was so much easier losing the weight after child birth then it is now. Since being back in the office I have gained 15 of it back. I never want to go back to where I was. My goal right now is to lose the 15lbs I have gained back and then to lose an additional 5 more. How do I this without having the appropriate surroundings for excersising, and living on an extremely tight budget? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• Cindy68164
    Cindy68164 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Make sure at the office you are drinking a lot of water. That's the most often overlooked or avoided thing. I know it sucks to have to go to the restroom all the time, but it will keep your cravings down and the little exercise to the restroom will get you up and moving.

Snack on high density potein packed items like nuts (low salt kind). This will help you get your water in....
    Try the water enhancers for taste.

I hope to get back into an office setting soon, and I'll be trying my own advice!

Good luck!
  • gfunkamo
    Options
    Water or fruit teas. They are great as it tastes a little bit naughty and there are barely ANY calories in them.

Raw carrots. Have a little lunchbox filled with raw cut veg such as carrots, peppers, cucumber etc.
    Healthy snacks!

Good luck!
  • cinderkitty84
    cinderkitty84 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thank you! Water, I think is my biggest enemy lol! The water here at the office tastes like PVC pipe. I guess I need to just buy a case and leave it here at my desk or something. I just got really discouraged when I started gaining it back..
  • mrsball1
    Options
    What motivates me the most is looking at pictures of when I was skinnier. I lost all my baby weight and then some but now I have gained almost 20 lbs. I was looking at my pics and instant motivation to make healthier choices. I really want to work out as well! Good luck! Don't know if I helped at all .
  • merandrich
    Options
    Any fitness expert will tell you, your weight is determined by 80% of what you eat, and only 20% exercise, so that is Great news for you. Since you are a snacker...not sure if its hunger or bordem driven, but I have a very low thyroid and low blood sugar, and here's whats worked great for me. The is an expensive plan called Ideal Protein. I do the "poor mans version" ;) There are protein shakes called Premiere Protein. Cheapest at Sams Club- $16 for 12. I get the chocolate. They are YUMMY! And they have 30 grams of protein so they keep you Full and only 1 gram of Sugar. I have 1 for breakfast... 3 hrs later I have 1 cup cooked oatmeal w/ natural almond butter or peanut butter and 1/2 tsp of honey- Lunch- Lg salad w/ unlimited lettuce & 2 cups of veggies (no carrots - broccalli, cauli, cucumber) . I either hv another protein drink with that OR some lean chicken or turkey ( 6 oz).... snack 3 hrs later... lettuce wrap w/ 3 slices of lean lunch meat, tomatoes... Dnnner- 6 to 8 oz lean ground turkey, chicken or beef w/ 2 cups steamed broccalli & cauli. OR I make lettuce wraps w/ Jenny O extras lean turkey patties..cooked then crumble. cut iceburg lettuce in half.. pull off 2 bowls. fill w/ ground turkey. I cook 1 1/2 patties for 1 person.. then put handful of broccalli slaw, a few slices of avocado & some jalapeno peppers. Yum!! I stay Very full and satisfied and my metabolism loves this plan b/c I wake up feeling hungry in the middle of the night. That means the fat is burning. I lost 4 lbs my 1st week on this plan and it is Not a diet... its just a Healthy, easy, yummy way of eating that revs your metabolism & keeps you full. I hope that helps! :smile:
  • merandrich
    Options
    for salad I meant to say no carrots, tomatoes, or other high glycemic veggies- google Ideal Protein plan & you will find restricted veggies.. ) No fruit is allowed either... But broccalli, cauli, cucumbers, zucchini are fine )
  • amfmmama
    amfmmama Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    I am also a working mom. I have a hard time getting to the gym during the week, so I do DVDs. I like Jillian Michaels becasue they are 20 minutes long, and often that is all I have to give by the time the kids are in bed. Protein is what gets me through the day without starving. I eat hard boiled eggs for lunch. It is not exciting, but it keeps me full and I have more energy than when I eat a carb heavy lunch. I also pack a sugar free jello (60 calories) for an afternoon snack. I look forward to it, and it is easy to eat slow. I am also back after gaining some of the weight that I initially lost, it all about getting the good habits and routine back!
  • amfmmama
    Options
    Any fitness expert will tell you, your weight is determined by 80% of what you eat, and only 20% exercise, so that is Great news for you. Since you are a snacker...not sure if its hunger or bordem driven, but I have a very low thyroid and low blood sugar, and here's whats worked great for me. The is an expensive plan called Ideal Protein. I do the "poor mans version" ;) There are protein shakes called Premiere Protein. Cheapest at Sams Club- $16 for 12. I get the chocolate. They are YUMMY! And they have 30 grams of protein so they keep you Full and only 1 gram of Sugar. I have 1 for breakfast... 3 hrs later I have 1 cup cooked oatmeal w/ natural almond butter or peanut butter and 1/2 tsp of honey- Lunch- Lg salad w/ unlimited lettuce & 2 cups of veggies (no carrots - broccalli, cauli, cucumber) . I either hv another protein drink with that OR some lean chicken or turkey ( 6 oz).... snack 3 hrs later... lettuce wrap w/ 3 slices of lean lunch meat, tomatoes... Dnnner- 6 to 8 oz lean ground turkey, chicken or beef w/ 2 cups steamed broccalli & cauli. OR I make lettuce wraps w/ Jenny O extras lean turkey patties..cooked then crumble. cut iceburg lettuce in half.. pull off 2 bowls. fill w/ ground turkey. I cook 1 1/2 patties for 1 person.. then put handful of broccalli slaw, a few slices of avocado & some jalapeno peppers. Yum!! I stay Very full and satisfied and my metabolism loves this plan b/c I wake up feeling hungry in the middle of the night. That means the fat is burning. I lost 4 lbs my 1st week on this plan and it is Not a diet... its just a Healthy, easy, yummy way of eating that revs your metabolism & keeps you full. I hope that helps! :smile:

how many calories in the premiere protein?
  • cinderkitty84
    Options
    Thank you everyone! When I go to the grocery store this weekend I am really going to have to think healthy. My kids are in that really picky stage so it is so hard to find something they will eat as well.:ohwell:
  • Cindy68164
    Cindy68164 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone! When I go to the grocery store this weekend I am really going to have to think healthy. My kids are in that really picky stage so it is so hard to find something they will eat as well.:ohwell:

I hear that! I just posted a topic and blog titled: Different meals for me and my daughter.

Healthy alternatives can also be expensive. Check out your grocer's "organic" section. HyVee is great about that.
  • merandrich
    Options
    Premier Protein has only 160 cals- 3 fat- 1 sugar- 5 carbs and 30 grams of Protein. Trust me, I have tried a Ton of protein drinks & think one is the clear winner for Highest Protein, lowest sugar, Best tasting and lowest cost.
  • amfmmama
    Options
    Premier Protein has only 160 cals- 3 fat- 1 sugar- 5 carbs and 30 grams of Protein. Trust me, I have tried a Ton of protein drinks & think one is the clear winner for Highest Protein, lowest sugar, Best tasting and lowest cost.

Looked for it at Walmart today and could not find it. Online it says Costco ( I don't have a membership) Do you know anywhere else that might carry it?
  • gwmedicgod
    gwmedicgod Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    or you can buy one of the water bottles that has a built in filter... that might help and prob. save you on bottled water... all the mio flavors taste great... keep up the good work
  • DixiedoesMFP
    DixiedoesMFP Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    It is sold at Sam's but not at Walmart. You can also order it online. It is probably one of the better tasting protein drinks out there.
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    Yu are just going to have to take everything with you and resist the food that is there. Its hard but YOU CAN DO IT!:smile:
    Aso, I recommend real food, just my opinion.
  • janalayn
    janalayn Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Preparation is key. I pack a bag every day for work with my food and snacks. I also have bad water at work so I just buy a 24 pack of water and keep a couple in the fridge with the rest under my desk.

As for the kids ... my best advice is to nip the pickiness in the bud early. My pediatrician said that kids will eat if they get hungry. Fix a healthy meal and let them know that is what is for dinner - no options. I promise they won't starve. You don't want them to spend their lives dealing with weight issues. Food is fuel ... also remember it can take up to 13 exposures to a new food for a child to start to like it. When my kids were little and I fixed a new food, if they asked if they liked it I always said "you love it" and they went into the experience expecting to like it.
  • Donnacoach
    Donnacoach Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    Water is huge for me while I am at work. I also keep low fat animal crackers, which are very cheap, on hand. They tend to be dry so they make you drink more water. I also eat some sort of fruit at least twice a day. You have started in the right direction, simply by asking for suggestions. You can do it.
  • cinderkitty84
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for the great advice! You all are a wonderful inspirations!:flowerforyou: