Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

NROL4W and Eating

I'm reading NROL4W at the moment and the eating part is really getting to me.

As an overweight female for most of my life I've been 'trained' to understand that weight loss = eating less, fatty! But NROLFW is eye-openingly trying to change that for me.. telling me to eat MORE. *gasp*

So I ask you, NROL4Wers.. what's your calorie intake set at (BMR?) do you reach that, is it hard to reach that (I have set a goal just to NET over 1200 for the next few weeks, because that's tough for me)

If you started NR on a deficit and were still overweight, did you continue seeing size-results once you upped your calories (to or beyond BMR)

AND how do you adjust your macros on MFP? :p

Replies

• lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    I upped my calories 300 from what MFP said, NROL said to eat 2200 at reasting, and MFP said 1560, so I'm upping to 1860 to see if I lose anything. I start NROL on Wednesday, i might have to up my calories even more.
  • Nikki582
    Nikki582 Posts: 561 Member
    Cool, I'm starting on Monday :) (New week, can't start things midweek)
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    LOL I'm doing my work outs wed/fri/sun...my son starts karate tonight so I have to work around his schedule
  • grapenutSF
    grapenutSF Posts: 648 Member
    I upped my cals so that I'm eating 1500 on days I don't workout and 1800 when I do. This maps on to the formula in the book. I also took his advice about macros and changed it to 40/30/30. I pay most attention to the protein part and make sure I reach 1g protein per lean mass.

It does make nervous, though. But it feels healthy, which I'm trying to focus on as most important.
  • Unfortunately I didn't really follow the book when it came to eating, because I still wanted to lose weight. I do 10 min of cardio before and after the weight lifting part, and I wear my heart rate monitor through it all. I have a whey protein shake after that's about 190 cals and if i burned more than that, then i try to add the difference in more protein or whole grains. Other than that, I am set to 1200 cals, but I make sure not to go below so that I don't lose the muscle im building.
  • DarkAngellEyes
    DarkAngellEyes Posts: 317 Member
    I'm interested in what others have to say about this too...

I'm a few weeks into the program and only upped my calories to 1400 (on non-workout days) but I make sure to eat my exercise calories on workout days. I havent seen any substantial losses - mostly maintaining the last few weeks. I'm thinking about adding another 100 calories or so...
  • mamitosami
    mamitosami Posts: 531 Member
    Bumping...
  • Nikki582
    I get what you're saying crobinson, but did you actually read the book, or just skim over the first few chapters? Because he goes in depth about why you need to eat more and why calorie deficient diets aren't the best option.

grapenut how do you change the macros on MFP?
  • pouringraina
    pouringraina Posts: 106 Member
    I am eating 1930 on non workout days, and 2230 on workout days. I haven't weight in yet, but it makes me feel so much more energetic and healthy. I try my best to eat 40% carbs, 30% protein and 30% fat ( you can custom edit your MFP to do that). The book told me to do 2230 on non workout days and 2530 on workout days, but since I am trying to lose weight as well, I lowered it by 300 like the book says is okay. I am going to take measurements and weigh in at the end of Stage 1 and then re-evaluate.

Also, I should add that I am 215 pounds and have a goal of getting to 140 pounds. I am hoping that by lifting weights, it will excel my weight loss and fat loss, while keeping muscle and being firm once I lose the weight.
  • Nikki, I did read it, but I'm stubborn lol... once I get to my goal weight I will concentrate more on this, but in the meantime im just making sure to get in plenty of protein to fuel my muscles. Makes sense in my head lol
  • Nikki582
    Nikki, I did read it, but I'm stubborn lol... once I get to my goal weight I will concentrate more on this, but in the meantime im just making sure to get in plenty of protein to fuel my muscles. Makes sense in my head lol
    lol fair enough! I didn't want to come across as rude, but I couldn't think of another way to put it.
  • sandiki
    sandiki Posts: 454
    Happy to see this post..as I plan to buy the book this week.
  • fakeplastictree
    fakeplastictree Posts: 836 Member
    I do some weight training as well (not NROL4W) but I'm on a calorie deficit diet. I want to lose weight and realize that on a deficit I won't necessarily 'build' new muscle, but I will strengthen it and that will allow for me to kick booty when I do start on my calorie surplus diet.
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    I eat 1800 calories a day and I don't count exercise calories unless I workout more than 3 days a week. This is somewhere between maintenance a slight deficit. After our Vegas trip, I'm going to try upping my calories to see how high I can go and not gain too much......BUT I may chicken out on that because I tend to overeat on the weekends and it makes up for any deficit I might have had during the week...

I have my macros set at 45% carbs, 30% protein, and 25% fat.
  • Nikki582
    Oh! I worked out how to set my macros!
    I also set my calories on my BMR for now (1507) I'll have to see if that's enough or if I need more. And I need to make sure I -eat- them.
  • I know it's been a while since this topic was posted, but I just started NR today, and thought I'd chime in! Please add me as a friend too - I really want other NR people out there for support!

I am 170 lbs, 5'11", and the book said I should be eating around 2400 on workout days and 2100 on non-workout days. Today is the first day I did the workout, and so it's the first day I'm logging my food. I am going to try to reach at least 2100 calories today, which would be a 300 calorie deficit under what he recommended, since I would like to lose maybe 15 more lbs. It is a really difficult mindset to take on, when calorie restriction has been the norm for women trying to lose weight. But the book made SO much sense to me, that I trust what he recommends, and I'm not going to go under 2100 on workout days. I will weigh myself weekly and take measurements at the end of phase 1 to reassess what I need. Also, it will be interesting to see how I feel!
  • Nikki582
    Now that I've been on the program for a couple of weeks I can say it IS working. I'm not eating a super-heap more, Just trying to net around 1700 cals (1700 on non workout days, 2000 on workouts) and it IS actually doing something! If my scales keep liking me tomorrow then this week alone I would've dropped 1.4kg (3lb) which DOES include one day int he week that I was sick and didn't eat much... but all in all I've lost around 2kg in 2 weeks, I feel great and I'm doing barely any cardio :D
  • weeziews
    weeziews Posts: 162 Member
    Nikki - glad to hear that it is working for you. I'm going to buy this book today. My scale hasn't moved in a long time and I am just so frustrated (i'm probably not eating enough). I work out at the gym 3x per week and do mostly all cardio, because I really don't know what strength training to do. Everyone has sold me on this book. Thanks for posting.