Vegetarian / Vegan LUNCH!

Options
Given enough time most people could probably figure out how to make a veggie breakfast or dinner... but I seem to get stuck when packing my lunch.

I'm vegetarian (but trying to eat more vegan) and seem to eat the same things for lunch. Pasta salad, cold noodle salad or a veggie sandwich... that's it!

If you're veggie/vegan, what do you pack for your lunch? I'm looking for some good school ideas with the new semester starting up soon. :happy:

Replies

• Vegan_Chick
    Vegan_Chick Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I eat a big huge salad every day for lunch
  • lawkat
    lawkat Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    Do you have access to a microwave? I make my own bean burritos and heat them up. I also saute up some veggies with tofu and put that over rice and heat that up the next day. I try to make plenty for the week so I don't just eat sandwiches or eat out.
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I often go with cold brown rice and kale, topped with pumpkin, sesame, and sunflower seeds if I need to pack a lunch. Also sometimes a green smoothie (made with kale) and hemp granola. Luckily right now I can come home for lunch, but those were typical for me, nice and easy. You could also try spring rolls packed with veggies.
  • littlebeans
    littlebeans Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Not a vegan or even a vegetarian but I tend towards those for packed lunches because it is easier in my morning routinue. I usually rely on beans for protein and nutrients. I use them in grain salads based especially quinoa salads, in homemade veggies burgers that can be made in bulk ahead of time and then brought for lunch all week. If I have nuts like sunflower seeds or almonds I'll sprinkle some into whatever I'm eating (or combine them into the dish) I tend to put almost everything I bring un top of greens too to bulk it up.
  • Kimbie500
    Kimbie500 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Lunch is always leftovers from supper sometime earlier in the week. I cook a lot from "Appetite for Reduction" and "Quick Fix Vegan," which generally results in 4 or 6 servings of something. After DH and I eat, the rest goes in tupperware to be nuked for lunch the next day. Easy and requires little thought - both absolutely necessary in the morning when I am packing food for the day!
  • tiggersstar
    tiggersstar Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    here are some of my lunch's in the last few weeks:

-veggie soup, with 2 slices of diet bread or warburton thins.
    -warburton thins with quorn slice and a bag of velvet crunch or baked crisp.
    -salad with small jacket spud and quorn slice.
    -fat free yogurt over fruit and tesco maple crunch cerial.

hope that helps.

:flowerforyou:
  • wifeygonzo
    wifeygonzo Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I'm not vegegatian/vegan but recently decided to cut out a lot of meat and dairy products from my diet. For lunch I've been making sandwiches with whole wheat bread, veganaise, dijon mustard, avocado, tomato, cucumber and lettuce. So yummy!
  • crobertson87
    crobertson87 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    just today at work we made wonderful portabella fajita tacos!

1 portabella mushroom cap sliced
    half bag tri-color peppers
    half onion slice into strips

saute above ingredients and serve in ezekiel wheat tortillas with black beans and corn
    this recipe made enough for 4 loaded tacos that were very, very filling!
    I also have a recipe for vegan chocolate chunk cookies we made today if you're interested!
    I work with two other people on 12 hour shifts who are doing plant based diet/Engine 2 diet. it was only a matter of time before I joined in. Feel free to add me :)
  • asyouseefit
    asyouseefit Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Falafels, pita pocket, some lettuce, celery, hummus!

Yum!
  • JennetteMac
    JennetteMac Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I make lots of soups with a wide range of veggies and pulses. If I do a good sized saucepan and blitz them all up I can portion and save them for lunch/evening meal.
  • Hazelhippo16
    Options
    I'm veggie - a nice recipe is a wrap with falafels (if you are in the uk sainsburys ones are nice), humous and grated carrot. Very filling !
  • fakeplastictree
    fakeplastictree Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Sweet potato with laughing cow (or some vegan cheese) added. and a side of steamed veggies with a protein shake.
  • SeaSiren1
    SeaSiren1 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Left over dinner
    Sandwich or Sub -tofurkey or any veggie "meats", and or veggies of your choice, PB & J, "egg-less" salad
    Soup
    Soy Yogurt & fruit & granola
    Hummus & Veggies
    Burrito (I like Amy's)
    Spring Rolls
    Sushi (vegan of course)
    Veggie Burger or Veggie Dog
    Veggie Wrap - load it with veggies, hummus, veggie "meats", chick peas, or whatever you have handy
    Apple slices and Almond Butter (or any nut butter)
    Salads -to many to list
  • callherbeautyxo
    callherbeautyxo Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I've always wanted to become a vegetarian but it's just so hard for me to stay away from meat when my family cooks it everyday
  • peaceinside
    Options
    bump
  • JasonSwetland
    JasonSwetland Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I cook a bunch of beans ahead of time then freeze them in a ziplock, then nuke them the day I want toeat them. i usually try to have a salad with this or a sandwich with 2 cups of sprouts wedged in there and use hummus or avocado spread, I also try to throw tons of fresh spices (like dill cilantro, basil, parsly, etc) in salads or sandwiches.

I often will take leftovers from last nights dinner, and box them up for the next day. They're veggies, how can I go wrong?
  • VeggiePumpkin
    Options
    I've always wanted to become a vegetarian but it's just so hard for me to stay away from meat when my family cooks it everyday

I'm vegetarian, but my husband and son are not. They know if they want meat they're welcome to buy & cook it. About once a month I'll add meat to a meal for them. Like when I made curry. I'll make mine with seitan and theirs with chicken. It's a lot easier than you would think, plus they're both eating a LOT more fruits, veg, beans and whole grains because of it!
  • VeggiePumpkin
    Options
    WOW! :noway:
    I'm SHOCKED at all the posts this thread got! Everyone had such FANTASTIC ideas to share. I can't thank you enough. Some of these were real forehead slappers (like "why didn't I think of that!") Others sound so great I can't wait to give them a try. You've given me at least a month of inspiration here. :heart:
  • bilzprincess
    bilzprincess Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    my favorite is eggless egg salad. instead of making my own mayo, i buy veganaise. it's in the fridged section--the fake mayo on the shelves is more a miracle-whip sweet kind of condiment. blech in my book, but there ya go. different tastes for different folks. add tomatoes, lots of lettuce, all piled onto a sourdough or rye bread. it's a lunch to look forward to.
  • alexandria412
    alexandria412 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add - I'm veg and love veg friends!

I try to make double batches of dinners throughout the week to pack for lunches. I've found that pastas travel well and don't need to be reheated.

I will shamefully admit this, however: I LOVE sandwiches made with processed veggie meat. My brain knows that these frankenfood veggie slices are filled with weird chemicals and non-foods, but my heart remembers eating ham sandwiches daily as a kid. I do two slices of Trader Joe's fiber braid, 50 calories of veggie slices, yellow mustard, and as much lettuce as can fit.