Things that Suck about being Overweight and/or Out of Shape

Options
Meant in a spirit of love for myself and for others, these are some of the things that keep me going. What else am I going to do, give up?

Feel free to add your own. Time to sound off and get motivated!!

Snoring and waking up with a sore throat.
Paying 3 - 5 times more for clothes.
Sore feet, legs, knees.
Panting when going up a flight of stairs.
Trying to reach stuff in the shower.
Sitting on the beach, listening to a crowd of people trying to decide if they should call the coast guard to rescue me, the "beached whale".
Being treated like a second class citizen by other people who have no manners.
Realizing that I have a choice about how I look and feel and I'm just choosing not to use it.

Replies

• hanna1210
    hanna1210 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Of course there's many, but for me it's airplane seats. I've flown plenty of times from my heaviest to now, and it's amazing the difference a few pounds can make. Went to Zambia at my heaviest. One place you don't want to be at your heaviest is on a plane for 18 hours :noway:
  • CannibalisticVegetarian
    Options
    I'll give it a try..

-Having to 'suck it in' when trying to fit into a booth---especially the kinds where the table is bolted to the floor and can't be adjusted for your extra pouch.
    -Having to throw out your jeans because thighs rubbing together have created enough friction to rub through the material
    -Getting weird stares when you order a burger and fries. Apparently you also get condescending stares if you try to order a salad.
  • gods_gal
    gods_gal Posts: 305
    Options
    The most horrific thing that happened to me when I was at my highest weight was taking my children to go up in a friend's private plane and not being able to go with them because the seat belt wouldn't go around me. I was absolutely mortified and had to get off the plane and hide my tears from the other moms.

The next worse thing was when a friend's four year old son, who was very vocal and spoke whatever came to his mind, was walking behind me up the steps to my house and said, "Boy, Miss Bonnie, your butt is sure big!" I did actually laugh at that one, but it still stung.

*Edit: I'm down 80 pounds from that highest weight, thankfully!

Having health problems because of your weight is right up there too. Thankfully, I've been able to come off prednisone totally, cut my cholesterol meds in half, and cut my blood pressure meds in half. Hopefully, soon I'll be able to come off the cholesterol and blood pressure meds completely.
  • GurleyGirl524
    GurleyGirl524 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    BARELY FITTING INTO THE SEATS ON THE RIDES AT SIX FLAGS AND HOPING THE LAP BELT WOULD LOCK SO I COULD RIDE WITH MY SON AND BEING EMBARRASSED THAT IT JUST BARELY DID
  • rjmwx81
    rjmwx81 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    The last time I flew, the seat belt didn't fit around me and I had to get a seat belt extension. They didn't have one on the plane so we had to sit at the gate while someone from the airline grabbed a seat belt extension from a different plane. On a later flight on a smaller plane that same day the attendants had to move me and some other passengers around before takeoff because the plane was "unbalanced." I don't think that one was entirely my fault, but I was already self-conscious about the seat belt thing.

Other than that, probably the worst ever was a girl that I had a major crush on telling me "You know, you'd be pretty attractive if you weren't so big." Uhh, thanks, I guess? lol
  • CrazyLazyStylist
    CrazyLazyStylist Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I agree, plane seats, roller coasters, event seats. The thingy that counts how many people are at an event that you have to walk thru after someone takes your tickets...

Always being the fattest person in a room or in a picture.
    towels not fitting.
    clothes not fitting
    stomach flopping
    arms flopping
    working face/body angles for photos

Any time someone has said something rude to me it has been something they didn't even catch that it was rude. Never been an outsider, just people I know through casual conversation.
  • CrazyLazyStylist
    CrazyLazyStylist Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    That chick sucks, lol. (Hope yall arent married now!!):laugh:
  • allysonb80
    allysonb80 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Struggling to bend over and tie my shoes.
    The pain of jumping jacks
    Not being able to play with my kids becasue I am too winded
    Summer (shorts, swimsuits, etc.)
  • michelledyan
    michelledyan Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    As I gained weight, I refused to go up from size 18 so my clothes were tight. (Now the opposite is starting to happen but at least I am starting not to cry when I look into a full length mirror!)

Having someone say, "You have such a great personality!"

After I had gained 20 pounds of weight, a coworker who did not like me asked me if I had been working out at the gym.

My boyfriend at the time asked me if I was pregnant.

This boyfriend also told me that he wasn't attracted to "big" women and every time he saw me, I was eating something. (When I get to my desired weight, I am going to send him a picture!!!!! Just make ME feel good !)
  • tnfree
    tnfree Posts: 1
    Options
    I struggle with loving food to much, and spend much of my life on the scales, and doing some kind of calorie restriction. I have morbid obesity (hate that medical term) in my immediate family. My grandmother, and mother, and my aunt to be exact. My Aunt, and grandmother passed away. I fear for my mother and for me. When I get on spells of eating where I dont care how much and how fattening, I know I could slip away into that type of weight gain. I will say this, losing weight is HARD. And I haven't had large amounts of weight to lose, the most I have lost is 30 pounds in a four month period, but it was HARD. My friend once said that the only acceptable prejudice in the USA today is making fun of overweight people, and discriminating against them. I believe that. Being very spiritual, I pray for my mother's health and my own daily, and I believe those prayers will be answered. I just encourage and congratulate anybody trying to lose weight, or changing their lifestyle for a healthier one. It is hard, and it takes brave people to step out and do that! Society is cruel, but when it boils down to it, you dont owe society anything, the victory is yours and yours alone.
  • salmon143
    salmon143 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am heavier than I have ever been and I noticed that my hands start to fall asleep when I read on my ipod in bed because the circulation gets cut off at the elbow. How ridiculous is that?
  • surfrgrl1
    surfrgrl1 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    Can't breath when bending down to tie shoes. :tongue:
  • ShifuYaku
    ShifuYaku Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    It was the jeans thing... that rubbing. I don't think they do it anymore :wink: ... Also I don't like being called names blatantly to my face. I never got weird looks, because I guess people were "nice" enough to remind me how not skinny I am.

I'm getting there.... never been this "thin" before. I mean, the last time I was 185 was in 8th grade. It's kinda nice... :smile:
  • EricMurano
    EricMurano Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    Air plane seats!!

Finding clothes the look good

Not knowing what it's like to be a normal size uhg

EDIT:
    TMI
    Oh oh and 20kg ago I found it hard to reach around to wipe ... you know how crushing that is!? LOL
    TMI
  • Pebbles536
    Options
    Can't see my V jay jay! :ohwell:
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    In general it sucked being a fat, unattractive, unlovable slug.

Everybody treats me different now.
    Fair?
    Who knows....

But I like it none the less.
  • MrsSmith2010
    MrsSmith2010 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    painting my toes, shaving my legs, sex with my husband, tying my shoes, going up the stairs, buying bras that aren't built from steel rods and chains, not worrying about bumping into people in the aisle at a store, and last but not least...being able to wipe my a** in a bathroom stall lmao
  • lovepenguins
    lovepenguins Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, IDK... dying?!?
  • dkbaron
    dkbaron Posts: 23
    Options
    RJM...I had a guy tell my best friend that I would be beautiful if I wasn't fat...that hurt so much, so I know how you feel. Keep up the good work...
  • JulesofWinsto
    Options
    Can't see my V jay jay! :ohwell:

:laugh:

Edit: I'm not laughing at you at all!! I just thought that was a great one liner.

I was in denial for ages. I think the biggest thing that made me realise was photos, and the fact that no matter how much I said "Retailers keep shrinking the size of women's clothing", I was going to have to go up a size in clothes again.
    I think I also realised that I was only hurting myself, and I wanted to do it for me.