Train for a 5k

Options
One of my goals is to run a 5k by my birthday which is in May. I have a lot of time to train for this but I want to start now. How do I even begin? I will start my training on the tredmill because of it being winter and all. What has/hasn't worked for you?

Replies

• Trail_Addict
    Trail_Addict Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    A lot of new runners seem to have success with a program called "Couch to 5K", C25K for short. Search here on the forums, or Google it for the website and training program. Good luck. You'll love your first race!
  • SammyLynn010
    SammyLynn010 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I ran my first 5K last May, and I used Couch 2 5K. It's perfect! I am actually doing it again for the same race!

Good Luck
  • skpresley20
    skpresley20 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Funny, I JUST started C25K today and I'm really looking forward to the next couple months! You can download the app on your phone, I'm using C25K lite, it's free and easy to use!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    You might also look into Jeff Galloway's 5K training plan. (http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/beginners.html -and- http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/5k.html) I started with C25K and switched to his. I'm running my first half marathon this Sunday following his strategy.
  • alicollins74
    alicollins74 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I am doing c25k right now. It is 9 weeks. I am on week 8...I have signed up for my first 5k on 1/21...This program definitely works. 9 weeks ago, I could barely run 3 minutes, today I ran 28 minutes w/o stopping...Good luck! You can do it!
  • thejackswild79
    Options
    Good for you! And you can absolutely do this. Couch to 5K (C25K) is a great way to start. I used to to get to my first 5K in April of last year. It was a great way to slowly get into running. The only problem is that I found running to be highly addictive. ;) Good luck!
  • Fit_Canuck
    Fit_Canuck Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Another +1 to C25K or I think they updated the name to Run5K on my iPhone. Such an awesome program.
  • wantmorepies
    Options
    You should try parkrun (UK and some in Australia) Its a free, timed and measured 5k run every Saturday morning at 9am!
    It's fab because it's open to all ages and abilities, you can walk, jog, run or whatever you can manage. It's great for tracking improvements because it's weekly and you get so much encouragement and support from others!
    ...Linda xx
  • oreoschick
    oreoschick Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Try the "Couch to 5k" program! It's free, it's simple and it slowly introduces you into running. I am on week four of the training and I love it, it's so fun for me!
  • TheCats_Meow
    TheCats_Meow Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I completed the Couch to 5K program on Friday and it works!

I was huffin' and puffin' running a minute at the beginning of the program and now I can run a full 30 minutes, no problem.

Just google 'couch to 5k' and have fun!

Good luck!!!
  • rudegyal_b
    rudegyal_b Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    definitely c25k, i stuck with the schedule and ran a 5k 9 weeks later, now i run them every few days
  • GrumpySmurf
    GrumpySmurf Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    +1 on C25K. My wife and I used it to train for our first 5k a couple of years ago. Being trained up made the whole experience fun and enjoyable. I train w a Nano now so no apps unfortunately :-( But i found a good podcast system called 5k101. Its a C25K style training program. If you use a Nano also this might be an alternative. Good luck w your training!
  • bcampbell54
    bcampbell54 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    I use the "Ease into 5k" program. It's awesome. Never thought I would be a runner, but I think I am now. Good luck!
    Oh, and when you're done, you can get he "Bridge to 10k" app.
    See you out there!
  • anilyze
    anilyze Posts: 67
    Options
    Completed this program last week. Highly recommended. It's one of the nicer looking, cleaner c25k apps. I tried 3 others on Android market and bought this one (again! already had purchased previously for iphone).

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/c25k-couch-to-5k/id301233668?mt=8
  • SammyLynn010
    Options
    I am doing c25k right now. It is 9 weeks. I am on week 8...I have signed up for my first 5k on 1/21...This program definitely works. 9 weeks ago, I could barely run 3 minutes, today I ran 28 minutes w/o stopping...Good luck! You can do it!

FABULOUS!
  • SammyLynn010
    Options
    I use the "Ease into 5k" program. It's awesome. Never thought I would be a runner, but I think I am now. Good luck!
    Oh, and when you're done, you can get he "Bridge to 10k" app.
    See you out there!

I use this app too, I think it's pretty much the same thing. Or I have found it to be!
  • Mcogelia
    Options
    C25K all the way!
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    couch to 5k, google it, I want to start, heard it is effective
  • aurie024
    aurie024 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I am SO glad I asked. I have never heard of this C2k before. I will def be downloading the app today and start training. Hopefully I will be doing my first 5k before May!! :)