Thyroid problem and no medical insurance

Options
Hey, I don't know for sure, but I think I might have a thyroid problem. Both my mom and sister were diagnosed...but I don;t have insurance so I can't really check. I know that this might make losing weight that much harder, so I was wondering if anyone had any idea about what to do?

how can I help my weight loss?? eat less? work out more?? any clue??

Replies

• Jadbaa
    Jadbaa Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I would like to know this too. I was taking synthroid but I don't have insurance anymore so I haven't been taking it for a couple of months. My levels are really low.
  • NiciS72
    NiciS72 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    Honestly, GO TO THE DR. I know you don't have insurance, but an undiagnosed thyroid problem can cause a lot of other issues and/or be a sign of other issues. Find out if you qualify for Medicaid or other insurance first. If not, find a Dr. who will work with you on payment and/or a free/low cost clinic. There are ways to get the care you need.
  • Adobogirl
    Adobogirl Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    There may be clinics out there that charge a minimal office visit. If a person is of a certain faith, there are programs for discounted health care through churches, temples, etc. Before I got married (and onto my husband's plan) I used to scope for health screenings at community centers and nursing homes for testing or information how to get testing.

It's hard out there and it sucks that we are THE ONLY DEVELOPED FIRST WORLD country without a health care system. I mean, even the UK has some kind of health care system.

Anyway- good luck to you guys.
  • NiciS72
    NiciS72 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    I would like to know this too. I was taking synthroid but I don't have insurance anymore so I haven't been taking it for a couple of months. My levels are really low.

I don't know about Synthroid, but I know mine is super cheap to buy. Call the pharmacy and see how much to fill without your insurance. Call your Dr. and ask for him to reup your RX if it's expired. Follow the other advice I sent the OP. DON'T let this go too far!
  • Elizabeth_M
    Elizabeth_M Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Honestly, GO TO THE DR. I know you don't have insurance, but an undiagnosed thyroid problem can cause a lot of other issues and/or be a sign of other issues. Find out if you qualify for Medicaid or other insurance first. If not, find a Dr. who will work with you on payment and/or a free/low cost clinic. There are ways to get the care you need.

I agree! I have been taking synthroid for years now (diagnosed post partum with baby #1) and there are lots of other complications besides having trouble losing weight if you don't address it!

I can't imagine being able to function without synthroid - I felt like I had been hit by a mack truck 10 times over when I was first diagnosed.

As far as cheapo meds go, I'm sorry I can't help. I am lucky have coverage through work and also live in Canada, so going to the Dr. doesn't cost money. I wish you luck, but please, get it addressed!
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    Hey, I don't know for sure, but I think I might have a thyroid problem. Both my mom and sister were diagnosed...but I don;t have insurance so I can't really check. I know that this might make losing weight that much harder, so I was wondering if anyone had any idea about what to do?

how can I help my weight loss?? eat less? work out more?? any clue??

Make sure you are nourishing your body in the right way. Fats, proteins, lots of green, leafy vegetables, smaller amounts of fruits.

Increase your Iodine levels and get some exercise.

Can you go to your local health department and get a free test done for both Thyroid and Vitamin D deficiency? They both mimic each other............

If it is your thyroid the Dr at the health department can write a prescription. Even though I don't like the synthetic medications, Synthroid is only $4.00 a month at Wal-mart pharmacy.

That will and should help you tremendously until you can get some insurance.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Is there a free or low income clinic that you can go to? Unfortunately, these often have very long wait lists, but once you get a diagnosis you can check into ways to get your meds free. Some pharmaceutical companies will provide them free to low income patients (they get a tax break) and some diagnoses will qualify for free meds through Medicaid (if you are in the US) though that can vary from state to state.
  • gianessa
    gianessa Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. I know it's totally disgusting that we are the only industrialized country without any form of health care of day care!!

I have a college degree- that I made thousands of dollars for, what did it get me?? DEBT!!
  • dizzydi1968
    Options
    There may be clinics out there that charge a minimal office visit. If a person is of a certain faith, there are programs for discounted health care through churches, temples, etc. Before I got married (and onto my husband's plan) I used to scope for health screenings at community centers and nursing homes for testing or information how to get testing.

It's hard out there and it sucks that we are THE ONLY DEVELOPED FIRST WORLD country without a health care system. I mean, even the UK has some kind of health care system.

I take exception to the remarks regarding the UK health system. Our 'free at the point of service' system isnt perfect but at least our less wealthy people dont have to go without medication due to not having insurance!!
  • NilbyClark
    Options
    I see your from Portland, in Buxton, where I live, there is a place called Leavitt's Mill Health Center that does doctors visits for people with little/no insurance. You could call them and ask. The number is 207-929-6455 and they do a variety of health things for people, including dental and therapy. It might be worth a shot, all they ask is that people "pay as they can" aka make a small donation at each appt. No bills, which is good. Just a thought, they also have a website, its leavittsmill.org in case you were curious. My family knows one of the nurse practitioners who runs it, and we used to volunteer. Its a good place :) Best of luck.
  • MeganPett87
    Options
    I know a million people have said it... but GO TO THE DOCTOR!!! Thyroid problems can be serious, better safe than sorry! Applying for Medicaid is fairly easy, and there are free clinics EVERYWHERE! Part of losing weight is taking care of yourself! Get on it!
  • gianessa
    gianessa Posts: 23 Member
    Options

I take exception to the remarks regarding the UK health system. Our 'free at the point of service' system isnt perfect but at least our less wealthy people dont have to go without medication due to not having insurance!!
    I agree. ANYTHING is better than nothing. Being a US citizen is a big cosmic joke sometimes. THE fact that they trick us into paying tens of thousands of dollars for an education, and they don't even guarantee your health- it's pathetic
  • shelleycronan
    Options
    I had my thyroid totally removed. I began taking synthroid and a bunch of vitamins and supplements. When I went in for a regular blood test, by levels were extremely low. Turns out that the vitamins and supplements stopped by body from absorbing the synthroid. Long story short, gained 20lbs in a month and now I am here. My MD said no matter how much exercise or nutrition concious I was, there was no way I would have dropped a single lb. Try and get to a MD and quick. IF you do have a problem, it is a simple fix. Good Luck!
  • sugiravi
    Options
    Agreeing with everyone else, just want to add that there are other tests they need to do... if there's a family history of autoimmune disease then one person can have thyroid dysfunction, another diabetes, another skin problems like psoriasis or vitiglio (white patches on your skin)... there's like a whole bunch of things they need to look at. So yeah, definitely worth seeing a doc. If he refers you to an endocrinologist even better, but you need to get the ball rolling and take care of yourself.

...And I'll bet the first thing the doc's going to tell you is to work on the weight loss, so don't wait. While you're figuring out the rest of it start on your diet/exercise plan right away :)
  • Adobogirl
    Adobogirl Posts: 53 Member
    Options

That's a better way of saying what I said! What she said, lol
  • Showgirlbody
    Showgirlbody Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    The medicine is inexpensive without insurance but a doctor will still have to see you to prescribe it. If you pay for an office visit and basic blood work out of pocket, it should be a couple hundred dollars. It's worth it for your health and if you have a credit card, charge it. That's what I use mine for, emergencies not shopping sprees.

I have no thyroid because I had thyroid cancer so my doctor checks me every three months but you may not have to get tested so often once you have the right level assuming you are hypothyroid.
  • blankcanvas
    Options
    Thyroid problems are very serious, you need to see a Dr. I recently lost my medical insurance, but I spoke to my dr. and they were willing to work with me cost wise, (their fees are no where near what they charge the insurance companies, which is just ridiculous..) and if your current doctor won't find one who will or research a local clinic. They at least can prescribe a sythroid rx if necessary..Believe me, i went undiagnosed for a few years, just before I found out the problem, I almost went into a coma...besides weight issues, that little thyroid gland controls your metabolism which affects your whole body, you don't want to ignore it long term...There are drs out there who will help at a lower cost. Don't give up trying to find one:) and you will feel infinitely better once you're on proper meds and then you can tackle the weight loss issue. Good luck!
  • mmocarr
    mmocarr Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I also have a college degree that I paid thousands for and had no medical insurance for 18 months. Not to be negative but I experienced severe complications from not having my thyroid medicated. My situation is a little different because I had an overactive thyroid which was also making it difficult to lose weight because I was starving constantly. When I finally got to the doctor I found out it had caused a heart murmur and probably the intermittent hypertension i have been experincing at the prime age of 23. Make sure you find a way to get to the doctor it really is too important.
  • Just1forMe
    Just1forMe Posts: 624 Member
    Options

I'm pretty sure you can get Synthroid from Walmart pharmacy under their $4/mo plan...if you've already been diagnosed, you would just have to pay for a doctor's visit and a set of labs to get your prescription refilled.
  • nyckyd
    nyckyd Posts: 4
    Options
    hello my mother has hashimoto disease and her thyroid is underactive she has to take thyroid pills also she has a hard time losing weight but she has currently started the scarsdale medical diet and its the only thing thats made her lose weight she has been on it a total of 2 weeks and is down 12 pounds honest to god !!!