Any vegetarians here?

Options
I am a newly reinstated vegetarian and I am looking to connect with some other vegetarians that are looking to get into better shape and stuff. It has been about 7-9 years since I have been a vegetarian and even then I wasn't really a "healthy" vegetarian. I pretty much survived off of candy, waffles/pancakes, french fries, and soda!:)

Of course those aren't really options now since I have so much weight to lose and am trying to start a healthier lifestyle in general.

Anywho, if there are any vegetarians out there, please inbox me and/or friend me so that I can get some tips and such.

Thanks,
Sr

Replies

• miacoffeesnow
    Options
    I admire your plan. I was a pretty unhealthy vegetarian for a year too. I hanker to become a vegan if I could only navigate restaurants recipes and my cravings. Until then I just want to eat healthier in general. Feel free to add
  • gingerb85
    gingerb85 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I'm vegan. Feel free to send me a friend request.
  • FaithHopeTrust
    FaithHopeTrust Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I've been a vegetarian for 3 years this summer :)
    feel free to send me a request! :)
  • lwill0110
    Options
    I've been a vegetarian for 22 years but not always a "healthy" vegetarian, more like a "pop tart" vegetarian.

What I struggle with is CARBS.

Feel free to send me a friend request!
  • Boingo1
    Boingo1 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I started Vegetarian eating this month. Right now it's more "Flexitarian". I have eaten one meat based meal this week. And plan to eat either 100% Veg or at the most, one meat meal a week.

Would be great to have friends with similiar food interests!

~Chris
  • deethinner
    deethinner Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Hi, I have been a vegetarian for 20 years. But I do eat seafood. And carbs was my downfall especially fried seafood being in New Orleans it is plentiful.
    feel free to send friend request
  • neutralize
    neutralize Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I've been an ovo-lacto vegetarian for about 20 years or so now. I guess I've always been a fairly healthy vegetarian but I'm *really* struggling right now with protein. I'm trying to get more protein than I ever have since I've started lifting/strength training, and I also need to follow a low-sodium diet, which pretty much rules out all the processed/frozen Moringstar farms/Boca stuff. I love tofu and tempeh but so far finding a marinade or sauce that's not loaded with sodium is seeming impossible. Looking back through my diary I've averaged about 30 grams/day and that's been mostly the frozen processed stuff. gah!
  • LoraaGi
    Options
    I'm vegetarian . I was veggie from age 11 - 19 and did a Phoebe from Friends and craved meat :/ I was quite poorly too with my pregnancy so I gave into my craving . Only eating sausages , burgers and chicken .

I craved meat through out 4 of my pregnancies ... I have been a vegetarian again since I was 24 . I'm almost 28 now .

I do eat seafood ... Not often but I do X
  • BeesKnees181
    BeesKnees181 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Vegetarian for 16 years, with a briedf stint as a vegan. I am dairy free and trying to get back to gluten free.
  • Ronny46
    Ronny46 Posts: 23
    Options
    I would love to become a vegetarian but I am clueless on how to even begin. I love meat so much how can one get away from that craving for it? I'm assuming its like trying to quit smoking? If it is I'm in for a lot of trouble huh? I have lost weight so far but I'm not losing it as quickly as I hoped. Any suggestions would be appreciated, Thanks
  • crunchybubblez
    crunchybubblez Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I've been an ovo-lacto vegetarian for about 20 years or so now. I guess I've always been a fairly healthy vegetarian but I'm *really* struggling right now with protein. I'm trying to get more protein than I ever have since I've started lifting/strength training, and I also need to follow a low-sodium diet, which pretty much rules out all the processed/frozen Moringstar farms/Boca stuff. I love tofu and tempeh but so far finding a marinade or sauce that's not loaded with sodium is seeming impossible. Looking back through my diary I've averaged about 30 grams/day and that's been mostly the frozen processed stuff. gah!

Kale & quinoa, & quinoa pasta for protein...
    Make your own marinades or check out your local health food store.
    Usually the employees can help you find what you need.
  • crunchybubblez
    Options
    I would love to become a vegetarian but I am clueless on how to even begin. I love meat so much how can one get away from that craving for it? I'm assuming its like trying to quit smoking? If it is I'm in for a lot of trouble huh? I have lost weight so far but I'm not losing it as quickly as I hoped. Any suggestions would be appreciated, Thanks

I started with making small changes, such as replacing the meat any burritos or tacos with organic canned black beans in water.
    I mix it in with refried beans, and carrot, & bell pepper that I had run through a food processor.
    Top with lime & cilantro seasoned brown rice or quinoa, and some fresh salsa.
    Don't meat in spaghetti sauce...
    Try to make sure at least half of what you've eaten for the whole day is produce. (best of organic)
    If you haven't seen it, watch Food Inc. it's on Netflix
  • karleen
    karleen Posts: 260
    Options
    im almost totally converted to a high carb raw vegan [mostly fruitarian] diet now. anyone feel free to add me :)
  • floweringcurrant
    floweringcurrant Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Yep, I am a vegetarian going on 11 years. Feel free to add me!
  • fueledbystina
    Options
    I've been a vegetarian for six years in February and I'm trying to go vegan (again) :)
  • aekaya
    aekaya Posts: 163 Member
    Options

Just start weaning yourself off of it slowly. I was a flexitarian for 4 months before I went fully vegetarian, and now I barely crave meat. If you want a meat-like texture, try eating mushrooms or making yourself some bean burgers. There's also always the option of things like chicken-less strips, meatless meatballs, etc, though those are processed foods so I wouldn't eat too many of those.
  • crunchybubblez
    Options

Just start weaning yourself off of it slowly. I was a flexitarian for 4 months before I went fully vegetarian, and now I barely crave meat. If you want a meat-like texture, try eating mushrooms or making yourself some bean burgers. There's also always the option of things like chicken-less strips, meatless meatballs, etc, though those are processed foods so I wouldn't eat too many of those.

Ya.. Only use stuff like that in dishes you feel like your completely missing the meat.
    Like Gimme Lean "hamburger", I make it into ground beef in our spaghetti sauce. My husband couldn't even tell it wasn't the real thing.
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    lots :-)))
  • tjpinch
    tjpinch Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I've been a pescatarian (veggie + seafood) for the last 7 years, but was vegetarian for 8 before that. I'm 29, so over half my life.

The best advise I have to give for healthy eating as a vegetarian came when I started to analyse why people always asked me what I ate. I couldn't figure it out for the longest time; what do you mean what do I eat? Everything you do, except meat. I finally realized that most people (or at least the ones I'm around) tend to think of their plate in terms of meat/veggie/starch. So maybe one night it's chicken/broccoli/rice, or steak/peas&corn/potato, or whatever. They're trying to figure out what to put in the "meat" part (which also explains why they ask "do you eat a lot of tofu"). My plate almost never looks like this, unless I'm making a meat alternative dish such as a lentil loaf (kinda like meatloaf). More often than not it's a stirfry, or a casserole, or a pasta, or a soup/stew/chili...you get the picture.

I'm not going to say I've been perfect (heck, I'm here aren't I?) but for the most part over the years I've eaten a pretty balanced diet.

Good luck!
  • Boingo1
    Boingo1 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    double post