On the go dinner ideas?

Options
I'm about to start college again next Wednesday, and for the most part I have morning/afternoon classes. Except for tuesday. I have a class that day that starts at 5, by the time it's over I'll have a 30 minute window to eat dinner before my next class which lasts until 9pm.

I'm trying to think of healthy (homemade) meals that I can take with me, that won't need to be heated up or refrigerated (not a protein shake made with milk..). Can anyone give me ideas? Please and thank you!

Replies

• Sarahrachael82
    Sarahrachael82 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Im actually taking mostly afternoon and night classes too starting next Tuesday!! I was kinda thinking this will keep me on better track, because my snacking tries to take over at night. Im thinking of making tuna/turkey wraps.... or protein bars.... and then eating my veggies and fruit throughout the day. Any Ideas I would love to hear also!!! <3
  • colleen_mairead
    colleen_mairead Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Things that don't need to be heated up?

Tuna with light mayo, celery, onion, pepper and whole wheat crackers
    Chicken salad with light mayo, dried cranberries, or raisins work too, walnuts, sometimes celery too and crackers or a pita

Fruit salad and yogurt is always good!

If you have a thermos I'm a huge fan of Progresso soups
    Garden salads are great too, just change up the ingredients do you don't get bored and add chicken or cheese or a pita so you stay full!

Hope hat helped!
  • japruzze
    japruzze Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    What about a protein bar? I love Dr Carbrite Diet bars. They are yummy (choc chip cookie dough and mint choc chip are my favorites). They are 190 calories, no sugar, 3.5g fat, 23g carb and 21g protein. I use them as a meal replacement on days I have meetings that run through dinner. As long as you only use it once or twice a week a a meal replacement it shouldn't be a problem. I also use 1/4 or 1/2 as a snack when when protein is low and I'm on the run. They also have from fruit flavored bars if choc isn't your thing.
  • cynlee1626
    Options
    I personally like veggie sandwiches - a hoagie bun loaded with sprouts, lettuce, spinach, tomato - whatever veggies you like.

A bagel with single serve light cream cheese (in the little tubs).

Go old school -- buy a thermos in the sporting goods section and fill it with filling, low calorie soup. Google Cabbage Soup Diet - the soup is awesome, filling and makes enough for several meals. The thermos has your soup cup and spoon all in one.
    13972728.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • WilliamsPeggy
    WilliamsPeggy Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    My schedule starting at the end of this month will be the same as last semester, which has me in class from 4pm to 8:30pm with only a couple of 10 min. breaks.

suggestions:

Whole wheat crackers with light laughing cow cheese wedges.
    Granola bars.
    Fruit such as Cuties (clementines/mandarins).
    Almond butter & jelly sandwiches on whole wheat.
    Turkey or ham sandwiches on whole wheat.
    Yogurt.
    dried cranberries.
    Nuts.
  • Pommerantchen
    Pommerantchen Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I love bagels with cream cheese (single serve packs by Philadelphia)

I have a salad keeper - it has a freezable tray that you put your dressing and veggies in, with lettuce in the bottom. It keeps them super cold. You can then take the tray out, mix your salad, replace the lid, and shake it up to coat the salad with dressing. I would always leave room for a fork with my lettuce.

What about peanut butter sandwiches and maybe apple butter or jelly?
  • kwehkweh
    kwehkweh Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I take fruit and nuts with me everywhere I go. If you're worried about extra protein, you can take a few slices of lunch meat in a container with a baggie of ice under it.
  • michelby09
    michelby09 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    For protein options that you can snack on during class, try roasted chickpeas. You can flavor them with a salty mixture or Splenda brown sugar/cinnamon if you have a sweet tooth. These are my new fave snack to eat at work!