First Green Smoothie = Success! & blender question

Options
I tried making my first green smoothie today! I used 2-3 handfuls of spinach (probably 3-4 cups total?), 1 small golden delicious apple, 1 tablespoon chia seed, 1/2 a banana (because i dropped the other half on the floor), and added enough juice to make it the right consistency. The flavor of juice is a matter of preference, but I picked up some Langer's 100% juice (apple kiwi strawberry flavor!). I really like it and I feel really full, I suspect it's the chia seeds filling me up. Another bonus: this particular recipe/combination has fewer calories than my normal breakfast of steelcut oats with peanut butter (~230 calories vs ~250).

I do need a new blender, though. I have a Hamilton Beach single-serve blender, and it's just not strong enough and I suspect it's going to die after a few more green smoothies. Any suggestions? My price range is $25-$75.

Replies

• jacklynmarieb
    Options
    I'm interested to hear some good suggestions for this too; I started freezing fruit and yogurt and throwing them in individual bags together so that I can just dump a bag in the blender and be on the go with a healthy smoothie, but my blender sucks and it ends up not being so "on the go" as "try four times and end up scooping it out in frustration". :)
  • lorification
    lorification Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Hey.... I know you!
  • Smokey19
    Smokey19 Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    I got a Ninja blender for Christmas and it doesn't cost too much. It has 2 sets of blades. My brother swears by it. I just got it this week and will try it later today.
  • jacklynmarieb
    Options
    @Smokey - did you try it yet?
  • ChallengeChick
    Options
    I like my magic bullet... I use it daily to make my vi-shakes and I mix in frozen fruit and/or ice cubes. Chops them with no problems. Hubby previoulsy used it for chopping coffee beans so it is quite powerful! Most stores carry them for abou $40, but I believe at Coscto you get a bunch of extra freebies!
  • sunnyh7
    sunnyh7 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    YAY! Sounds delicious! I bought one a little above your range for $100 on sale by Kitchen Aid. I have used it almost every day for 2 months now and works wonderfully!
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    i love my ninja blender - nothing ive had blends as well as it does. it is a little more pricy - i think we paid $80 for ours on sale... but its totally worth it!
  • idauria
    idauria Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    I also have the KitchenAid blender and love it! I bought it at Bed, Bath and Beyond when I had a coupon so I got it for $80 instead of $100. I did a lot of research and I knew I didn't have $400 to spend on a Vitamix or BlendTec. The KitchenAid was highly rated. It works great. I put ice in my protein shakes every morning and it does a great job of incorporating it without leaving chunks like my cheapo Krups blender.
  • regmcc
    regmcc Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I have just discovered Green Smoothies and love them. I follow greensmoothies.com as well as the iphone app...just fruit, leafy green veggies and water.....love them. I don't always eat enough fruit and vegetables throughout the day and this is a great way to get the servings I need. I got a Kitchen Aid blender for Christmas and it's great, I can't imagine making them in my Magic Bullet which I use for my protein shakes everyday for breakfast.
  • nisijam5
    nisijam5 Posts: 10,390 Member
    Options
    Look on craigslist to find a good deal...maybe someone got one for Christmas and doesn't want it any more!!

Very brave on the green aspect, I'm afraid..
  • SpaceMarkus
    Options
    I LOVE my kitchen Ninja. I had my first for two years. It still works great, but I wanted to upgrade to the new one with three blades. Recommend it 100%
  • aeboone24
    Options
    if you spend just 25 more at 100, you can buy the kitchen aid blender. let me just say I LOVE IT!! it blends quickly and evenly and SUPER fast to where you are like DANG its not working and it is seriously done!! just a thought i know its over budget but you can look on amazon and see if they have any.
    i have the bullet blenders eghhhhhhhh u have to shake em and mix them, thats just annoying for me,
  • bahacca
    bahacca Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I'm no help. Several years ago I ditched my blender and got a Blendtec at Costco. I bought it for myself for mother's Day 2 years ago and that thing gets used almost daily. I'd suggest getting one that says it will chop ice really well. And then put a dollar in a jar next to the blender each time you use it for a Blendtec or a Vitamix.
  • Julie260
    Options
    I am the same as bahacca, I just got a Vitamix and I could not imagine my life without it. The thing I was looking for was versatility, and I can make soup, hummus, ice cream, smoothies, dressings and lots of other things without heating up a stove. I've also heard that the Blendtec and Ninja are good as well. I did just watch a really good video on youtube the other day in which 5 blenders were tested, 2 being Vitamix and Blendtec and the three others being less commercial but just as good and in some cases even better.

Anyone have any good tried and true recipes? I love my banana, frozen grape, frozen strawberry, frozen blueberry, pear, kale, carrot, and ice smoothie! Don't love the color, but it doesn't bother me too much. I always add banana for texture and it's good for covering. Anyone try avocado?
  • cgrout78
    cgrout78 Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    I have a basic blender from Target that I got as a wedding gift, it's a Hamilton Beach and it works REALLY well even for icy drinks I'm impressed.

For my green smoothies I usually throw in a couple handfuls of spinach and then my son likes them with bananas, ice and vanilla protein powder. I use my herbalife cookies and cream, some chocolate protein powder, the spinach and some mint extract...yummmm
  • emma44ny
    emma44ny Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Ugh! First green smoothie and NO success!!
    I have a cuisinart blender and I just halved the Dr. Oz green drink recipe and it was a swampy green sludgy mess! It actually didn't taste bad at all but the consistency was hideous. I used a handful of spinach, an apple, half a cuke, ginger, parsley, lemon/ lime juice. Blech- help!
  • Julie260
    Options
    I've heard that Dr. Oz's smoothie is not a favorite. I would start with something milder, more fruits (frozen or not, but def. unsweetened) and something like kale or spinach and maybe a carrot. There are lots of options, just play around with them until you feel more comfortable adding more "greens" and veggies.
  • chubbybunnee
    chubbybunnee Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    if you juice a lot, get a juicer! There is a great one at GNC for only $39.99 right now! $50 off! I have it and it rocks!
  • Plove2011
    Plove2011 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I use the Ninja that I purchased from Sam's club for $50 (hopefully you're a member or know someone who is). It's been awesome and I love my veggie smoothies too. Check out the link to see all that's attached:

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/search/searchResults.jsp?searchCategoryId=all&searchTerm=ninja&fromHome=yes&_requestid=35690
  • raevynn
    raevynn Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Try a banana, a handful of greens, about a cup of frozen berries, and water...

...and, haunt Craigslist for a vitamix or blendtec (I've had a vitamix - I now have a blendtec)... beg for one for your birthday. get a second job. Whatever it takes. You'll never be sorry. :drinker: