Success without Exercise?

Options
It's not that I don't want to exercise, infact I can't wait until summer comes so I can start again. Anyway, I am in my final year in school and my pre exams are in 3 weeks, orals in April and exams all of June! I physically don't have the time to exercise! Some people have said to do it before school, but I do be up at 5.45am to study! Has anyone lost a significant amount of weight without exercise? I have 30lbs to lose still!

Replies

• koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    Obviously excersize will increase your fitness, but weightloss comes from the calorie deficit. You don't need excersize for that.

You would be happier if you could find the time for excersize.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I've lost over 30 without exercise. I'm sure it would be easier with but I am the person who buys a gym membership and never goes. I needed to teach myself to eat better and lose. Did it but it took a lot of work educating myself on what was good for me.
    Healthy fresh eating, lower (good) carbs, lots of veggies and portion control. I also bought a food scale. Best investment I made!!
  • Michelle650
    Options
    I really would be, but from 5.45am to 10pm is spent in school and study! Once June 21st comes I'm back cycling and I want to start jogging!
  • celerieaz
    celerieaz Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Well, weight loss starts in the kitchen. It is definitely possible for you to lose a lot of weight without exercising. However, you should keep in mind that if you are sedentary (sitting at a desk all day) and are eating at deficit, some muscle loss could occur. You may see the number on the scale go down, but you will still feel pudgy and soft. To combat this loss of muscle, I would eat a high protein diet.

If you really don't have a spare half hour three/four days a week, that's my advice. But what would really be better is if you could just set aside a small of time each day to do some strength training. There are a lot of great youtube videos out there (blogilates, bodyrocktv, toneitup, etc) that don't take a whole lot of time.

Good luck!
  • purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    Eat well to lose weight, exercise to get in shape.
  • Melk967
    Melk967 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I've lost at least 5 lbs just from not eating as much (like, stopping when I'm full) and eating healthier. I'm not sure how tall you are, but I'm 5'7" and though I am at 156 now, I started at 155 and just by diet went down to about 148. Gained it back by resuming eating poorly though lol. But yes, and also by the time you can work out, you'll have the food part down :)
  • annie24342
    annie24342 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I'm also in school and have very little extra time. You can definitely lose weight without exercising, but you won't really look as fit.
    Just some suggestions:
    You could use elliptical machines or treadmills while reading (I've seen people do it)
    Or every 10 minutes that you study, do five pushups, squats, or something similar
    Exercises like that might not get you into fantastic shape, but it will definitely give you a small improvement.
  • lazywriter
    Options
    Sorry, but I honestly do not think there is a great way of losing 30lbs without exercise. You can't starve yourself. You have more time than you think, though. 60 minutes a week can make a difference. 3 days, 20 min each. You def have that.
  • purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    Sorry, but I honestly do not think there is a great way of losing 30lbs without exercise. You can't starve yourself. You have more time than you think, though. 60 minutes a week can make a difference. 3 days, 20 min each. You def have that.

You can lose 30 pounds without exercise. You create a calorie deficit by watching what you eat, exercise allows you to eat more and gets you in good physical shape.
  • siabevis
    siabevis Posts: 811
    Options
    i lost 35lbs without exercise

- sia bevis
  • LJGmom
    LJGmom Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    There are some 15 to 20 minute workouts that really help you keep a little muscle...I would recommend doing them a few times a week so you don't have muscle loss, but you definitely can start losing without exercis.
  • keywestsunset
    keywestsunset Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I started with my diet. I watched my calories, took in less than my body needed to maintain its current weight and I lost. Once I felt like my diet was habit, and I didn't have to think about what I was going to eat every day, I incorporated exercise. It's not a good idea to try to change everything at once, you are setting yourself up for failure. During these three weeks I'd focus on eating right, and trying to hit your calorie goals. then you can start exercising. you definitely lose weight with diet, but in order to change the shape of your body you have to exersice
  • CashierCantin
    CashierCantin Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I lost 20 pounds without exercise. This last pound fell off yesterday after I walked Friday and Saturday. Is it a coincidence? Could be. Could I continue losing without exercise? Of course. I just feel walking is good for my heart and my DR said its good for lowering my cholesterol, which is in the normal range NOW but the HDL needs to be brought up.

20 minutes a day could be split up into 10 minute increments if that helps.
  • siabevis
    siabevis Posts: 811
    Options
    It just takes longer w/o exercise
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Do you have access to a treadmill or recumbent bike? If you have reading to do and can get on one or the other, you can get some walking or biking in while you read...... Just a thought..................