Running Help!

Options
I'm restarting my weight loss journey and I would like to take up running. Well I'm horrible at running and I'm looking for advice about starting. I'm too sure what I'm looking for.. but does anyone have any advice that might be helpful?

Replies

• wildhehr2
    wildhehr2 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    You can't start too slow. Walk first, build up to about 30 minutes of walking, and then add a bit of SLOW running like movements. Make sure you're doing what YOU can do, not what you think other people expect you to do. Couch to 5k (c25k) plans are on the web, and they will help.
  • sarafil
    sarafil Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Most important advice I can give is start out slow. Many people do too much, too soon, and end up hurting themselves. You could always follow a plan like the "Couch to 5K" to give you some guidelines on a safe introduction to running. Many running stores will offer training programs as well, which are great, but cost money. Make sure you have proper footwear, and shoes you only wear for running. It is also important to cross train; you want to build up your quads, hamstrings, glutes, abdominals, etc. On days you don't run, try strength train, cycling, swimming, etc. Good luck!
  • jdjefferson
    Options
    Congratulations on starting a running program!

I don't know what you mean by "horrible at running." Nobody's horrible at running. You're probably just not very comfortable with it right now.
    Everybody will tell you the same thing--buy a good pair of shoes. This doesn't mean they have to be the best or most-expensive, just the best for you and your comfort.
    Walk a little, run a little. Repeat. Lengthen the amount of time you spend running and reduce the amount you spend walking. Before you know it, you will be a runner!
    Keep a journal of your accomplishments. Log how long you walked/ran (time and/or distance). Note how you felt and things you noticed.
    Don't get discouraged! You will see results quickly, but the journey takes time. Running is only 5% physical and 95% mental. The most difficult part of running is putting your shoes on and taking that first step.
  • Aundi1
    Aundi1 Posts: 1
    Options
    Congratulations on starting a running program!

I don't know what you mean by "horrible at running." Nobody's horrible at running. You're probably just not very comfortable with it right now.
    Everybody will tell you the same thing--buy a good pair of shoes. This doesn't mean they have to be the best or most-expensive, just the best for you and your comfort.
    Walk a little, run a little. Repeat. Lengthen the amount of time you spend running and reduce the amount you spend walking. Before you know it, you will be a runner!
    Keep a journal of your accomplishments. Log how long you walked/ran (time and/or distance). Note how you felt and things you noticed.
    Don't get discouraged! You will see results quickly, but the journey takes time. Running is only 5% physical and 95% mental. The most difficult part of running is putting your shoes on and taking that first step.

So very true -- running is so mental!! Just start and then just keep going. A year ago January, the best I'd done in a 5k was 48:00 -- and that almost killed me. As a new years' resolution, I decided to lace up some running shoes and start running with a run club in my area. I was the slowest one in the club in the beginning, but hey, I was there. It's amazing the support and information you can glean from joining a run club. Before I knew it, I was training for a half marathon, which I completed at the end of March -- just 3 short months later!! Shortly thereafter, I competed in my first triathlon. I fell off the fitness wagon in August, but have resolved to do it all over again -- and with better times. I'm following Hal Higdon's program (you can find online), and running with the Runkeeper app for the iPhone. It's great -- gives you audio cues on your distance and pace. It also keeps track of your runs and routes online. I love it!! For me, the calories it says I burn aren't right, but I also wear a heartrate monitor, so I can then just go in and manually change the calories burned. Best of luck to you, and I hope you enjoy running!!
  • bahacca
    bahacca Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Find a local running store and have them evaluate your gait/stride. They can tell you if you are a pronator, etc and what the best type of shoes are for you. ASK them what your gait is so you know for future running shoe purchases.
    Track your miles. Shoes last between 300 and 500 miles, depending on your weight and what surfaces you run on. A 120 lb person running on a treadmill will have shoes that last longer than a 250 lb person running on the street.
    C25K is a really great program. I didn't follow it, but I know several who have had great success with it.
  • wifeygonzo
    wifeygonzo Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    As mentioned before, start out slow. A friend of mine started by running to a light post, walking to the next, etc. Then worked up to running two light posts, walking one, etc. Before she knew it, she was able to run without stopping.
  • ✰✰ajaks1229✰✰
    Options
    I always recommend that new runners check out this link...It is filled with very valuable information and articles. Especially breathing for new runners.

http://www.active.com/running/newbie-runners/
  • Runchick262
    Runchick262 Posts: 10 Member
    Options