GU -- Your thoughts

Options
So I am a morning person and I prefer to do my workouts in the am .. but I hate running on a empty stomach but can't seem to crave anything but coffee before my runs.

Today I tried GU (strawberry and banana). Once I got past the texture - it went well and I started running 15 minutes later. Surprisingly my run went very well and I had more energy towards the last mile.

What do you think about this product?

Thanks Kate

Replies

• wifeygonzo
    wifeygonzo Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time getting past the texture as well. But it gets the job done.
  • tkillion810
    tkillion810 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    I've used it in the past for one of my marathons. It's definitely tough to get down. I got to the point though where my stomach couldn't handle the straight sugar jolt. Some other altrnatives for you to try might be orange or apple slices. Another thing that I like to have before a morning run is 1/2 a banana and a chobani yogurt. Play around with a few things if you find the Gu tough to stomach.
  • InTheInbetween
    InTheInbetween Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    :heart: GU!
    I had a hard time with the texture until I tried the chocolate one . . . The chocolate one tastes just like brownie batter! :tongue:

Honestly though, if the texture is an issue try something like Shot Bloks. It's made by Clif and more of a gummy texture (Like fruit snacks).

I like both to fuel before and during my half-marathons!
  • RuninGirlCas
    RuninGirlCas Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I do not like the texture of GU either, it really grosses me out. When I need a sugar boost during a race I like to have a few sports beans (jelly belly makes them). I'm also like you that I don't like runnin on a completely empty stomach. I usually just have a piece of toast with the jelly on it. If its a race morning I usually add a egg or two to the toast.
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    I use it when I do my long runs on Sunday. I don't like to get up at zero dark so I pop some GU about 15 minutes before I head out.

Mind you, this is only on runs of 10+ and, even at that distance, I'd be surprised if it made a difference. Why's that? We have about 20 miles worth of glycogen (2k cals) in our bloodstream and muscles that's just floating around in our body waiting for the chance to be used. Even at 150 cals/mile (I'm 190 +/-) that means that I've got 16+ miles of fuel without eating anything extra.

The other issue is that at my training level (2+ hours for a half), not having enough fuel is not why I'm slow. I'm slow because I'm 55 years old and I have only been running for 6 months. I do plan on getting older and fitter so I do hope that some day my performance will be a factor of nutrition but, for the next few years, at the very least, I'd suspect that the only value I'd get would be from the placebo effect.

Yeh, yeh, me being Mr. Cheerful again… :-)
  • FoxyMcDeadlift
    FoxyMcDeadlift Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    I've only had a GU post run, i had vanilla and rather liked it, i will experiment in training. I have had Wine Gums in training and on race day and find them much easier to eat and enjoy. 4 or 5 every 30 mins
  • KateJo84
    Options
    Thanks everyone -- you've gave me some other flavors and options to try!