Polar FT4 HRM

Options
I just purchased this HRM and I've used it 3 days. Can anyone tell me how accurate it is? I've been walking 20 minutes on the treadmill and every day I've increased the speed. My heart rate has been getting lower and lower and the calories burned is less and less. The first day I burned 166 and today it was only 142. I'm trying to figure out what causes the heart rate to keep getting lower and lower.

Replies

• escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    I think you are getting healthier haha!

My first day using it on the elliptical I was struggling to keep my HR under 160bpm. After 3 days...I was pushing myself to get my HR to 160bpm and to keep it there, I was moving faster and on a higher resistance and couldn't get passed 160bpm. I took it as me just getting in better shape.

I used my HR monitor for a 30 minute workout on the elliptical and checked calories burned and compared it to what the calories should have been for someone my size on the internet...I was about 30 calories off. I feel it is pretty accurate and mostly use it to keep my bpm in check...the calorie number is just a number I put in the computer but the bpm is what I think matters more IMO.

Remember to keep updating your watch with your current weight so it stays accurate!
  • amberl10
    amberl10 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Thank you, I sort of thought that was the case but didn't think it would slow down so quickly considering I barely worked out all of December. Thanks again!!!
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    I had the same effect the second day at the gym, burnt less calories but my average heart rate was lower and went down quicker after only one workout at the same intensity. I took that as a positive!
  • amberl10
    amberl10 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much, we'll see what it does from here on out.