I did it! I went to the gym

For the past few weeks. I've been telling myself I am going to wake up and go to the gym. But i always chicken out because I am afraid of the looks or snide comments people will give me. I've had a guy ask me at a previous gym whether or not i'd prefer to eat a burger to working out. *Smh* anywho. i've come to realize that the weight isn't just going to fall off of me! So I need to make some serious changes.

I was on the treadmil 35 minutes. I wanted to try using the exercise bike too, but I couldn't find the right height for the seat, and the seat was so hard it hurt my plush bottom. But oh well I went! I want to start lifting weights too. Just gotta build up the courage to ask one of the personal trainers for help. ^_^ Very proud of myself.

Replies

• sinistertitan
    sinistertitan Posts: 603 Member
    Good for you! That's awesome! Oh, and don't listen to the egotistical *kitten*. Just do what you gotta do.
  • Tiffa0909
    Tiffa0909 Posts: 191 Member
    Congratulation , I'm so happy for you. I sometimes feel the same way.

I have gone to two different gyms and I have felt the same way , but I always have positive experience now that I look back and admit the reasons I stop going .

The second gym was the worst , the owner was a Pro wrestler . So he attracted people who were into lifting weight , but now that I look back the owner was sweetheart and everyone was super nice and helpful to me. It was just my insecurities .
  • fguillory
    fguillory Posts: 291
    I am gonna try to ignore the rude people.

I just think that those people are so afraid of becoming our size they gotta lash out at us. But pfft, sucks for them. I am bringing sexy back. lol
  • Akijade
    Akijade Posts: 210 Member
    Good job! Going to the gym the first time is hard. People are usually really nice and encouraging, but it still takes a lot of courage to actually get in there and go. :)
  • rgeverd
    rgeverd Posts: 11
    Thats really awesome! dont worry about that guy, hes an *kitten* obviously- I wanted to tell you- someone once told me it only takes 14 days of going to the gym before its not really a fight anymore- I know that seems like a long time but if you keep pushing yourself those days will soon be up and then you will look forward to going- I too just started going- and each day i actually look forward to it a little more- its very rewarding to work up a sweat!! keep up the good work adn keep your head up around jerks like that, one day soon he'll hit on you and you can blow him off :wink:
  • DrumlineGirl
    DrumlineGirl Posts: 178 Member
    Way to go! Just put on the headphones and ignore everyone else!
  • maryjay51
    maryjay51 Posts: 742
    theres always a jerk in the crowd.. i eat burgers all the time ..turkey burgers!!! so i got the best of both worlds.. i can eat a burger AND work out!
  • Laner07
    Laner07 Posts: 100 Member
    Way to go! Every gym has egotisitical people so just try to ignore them. In the end you'll always feel better for having gone.
  • tageekly
    tageekly Posts: 3,755 Member
    That guy was an a**hat... you should've told him you workout so you CAN eat a burger! :smile:

You should be very proud of yourself! I was a bit embarassed too when I started but 30 pounds later I can push harder on the cardio machines and even lift more than some of the dudes that might have said something like that to me. You'll get there, just keep showing up and putting in the effort. Congrats on Day 1! :bigsmile:
  • Bysshe
    Bysshe Posts: 428 Member
    yay! So proud of you!!!