lightheadedness after exercising?

Options
I recently just started working out again after an embarassingly long break from it. Today I worked out for almost 2 hours. I definitely broke a sweat. I had eaten before and ate after, but I still feel lightheaded and slightly nauseous hours later! I keep guzzling water but it doesn't help. Should I try a sports drink? I know I'm not diabetic...have had multiple tests for it because I thought I.might be, but I'm fine. Any advice? Thanks :)

Replies

• Riverofbeauty
    Riverofbeauty Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Is it hot where you are? That might make a difference. It could also just be that you did an intense workout after not working out for a while.

Another thing, which I have, is low blood pressure? I've discovered that on my low sodium level days my blood pressure is a lot lower, and gives me symptoms.

Hope you work it out soon though! I hate that feeling.
  • harrietlg
    harrietlg Posts: 239
    Options
    you probably did too much, try taking it a bit slower next time so your body can get used to the work out again :)
  • maryjay51
    maryjay51 Posts: 742
    Options
    what are you eating before and after ?
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    Sports drink.
  • mychirona
    mychirona Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Could also be that your heart rate was too high. I find that even when I'm in a good routine that I'm prone to dizziness and nausea when I push it above 180.
  • Avalonis
    Avalonis Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    The most common cause of lightheadedness during workouts is not enough carbs.

Carbs is your bodies fuel. Eat some.

Of course, that is assuming you are on a standard diet and not a very low carb diet. If you are on a very low carb diet for an extended period of time (more than 7-10 days straight at ~.7g of carbs per lb of body weight or less) your body begins to use fats and proteins for energy, rather than carbs.

But basically, for most people, you need to eat carbs within a couple of hours before of a workout. Otherwise, if you workout hard enough, you'll get lightheaded.
  • siabevis
    siabevis Posts: 811
    Options
    drink more water and take it easy