How far do you walk?

Options
I am really lucky to live within walking distance to a lot of places that I need to go to regularly (20 minutes to work, 10 minutes to the grocery store, etc). I basically have decided not to take my car for any 5-minute-or-less drives. This decision is both for the environment and for my health! The tricky part is that it often translates to a 20 minute one-way walk, which is difficult to plan for sometimes. What do you do? How far do you walk regularly, and how long of a walk would be normal for you to run your typical errands?

Replies

• cantobean
    cantobean Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I don't walk for errands as much anymore, but when I lived in my old neighborhood, I'd walk for just about every trip to the grocery store, liquor store, many restaurants, the salon, the ATM, my synagogue, etc. Most walks would be 10-15 minutes one-way (our food store was only 5 minutes walking!!). In the summer, we'd walk downtown for dinner or a concert (about 30 minutes each way).

I usually just take recreational walks now (though we do have a coffee shop, liquor store, and a couple restaurants we can walk to) and I miss errand walking. Definitely take advantage of your proximity to shops! It does make the trips longer, and it can be annoying if you have to carry a bunch of stuff around, but it's definitely worth it. Plus, the sun and fresh air are good for you.
  • MelHoneyRocks
    Options
    I live in the middle of nowhere. Surrounded by farms and vineyards. I try my best on the weekends to get 3-6 mile walks in.
    Its too dark for me during the week, (no street lights) so I do most of my walking Saturday and Sunday.
  • angelarozmyn
    Options
    I walk to work some days too....but it's a little over 4 miles each way :) so, much easier to do in the summer when there is more daylight. Otherwise, the grocery store, bar, drug store, pet store, and gym are about a 5-10 minute walk away, so we never drive there. Try to get out of my car as much as possible :)
  • fj211
    fj211 Posts: 95
    Options
    Where I live, there is an eleven mile loop (bridge to bridge ) around the river. I used to walk the enitre thing sometimes four times a week. We do have winter here but they are mild. The only downside is that dog walkers disrespect the wonderful resource we have by letting their dogs run free and poop everywhere. It's really disappointing the level of disrespect some people have. But still, it's a great resource and sections of it are developed into nice picnic areas.
    Right now I am only walking 20 minutes a day. I'm dealing with a joint issue and have to lose some of the weight I've gained to be able to enjoy that huge level of activity again.
  • jickalina
    jickalina Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I'm from Southern California (so not walkable!) but a few years back I lived in London for the summer and walked EVERYWHERE. In a little under four months, without any "dieting" I had lost about 20 pounds. Granted, since I didn't work while there, I was on the go a lot: to museums, parks, shopping, sightseeing. But still, grocery shopping, laundry, internet cafe's everywhere I walked.

I think if it's just part of your lifestyle, you don't see it as a sacrifice or an effort, it's just what you do. And losing extra poundage because of it-- awesome bonus.

Nowadays, I schedule in my walks-- an hour of brisk power walking during lunch. But if I could I'd walk for any errands for trips between 15-25 min each way.
  • melbaby925
    Options
    I'm too far away from anything to walk for errands, but the dog and I walk every day. We go anywhere from a quick 1.5 mile to a 7 mile walk, depending on weather and work.

I think it's great that you're able to walk to get things done! Such a healthy way to go and your gas bill is going to be lower too --- which is a shopping opportunity just waiting to happen right there. Bonus!
  • Kaylee_law_123
    Kaylee_law_123 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I walk to the market, but chose the one that is a little further away, it took me two hours to go there and back on Sunday and was a great workout :-)
  • Jenn728
    Jenn728 Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    I live in the country so walking as a mode of transportation is out of the question....but for exercise, I walk around our property.
  • eatlift
    eatlift Posts: 113
    Options
    I'd walk 30 minutes when I first started walking. Then I upped it to an hour. After that, i decided to try and walk 5 miles a day, which took me about 1 and 45 minutes. Then I started jogging/walking 5 miles and the time cut down. Now Iv'e learned other techniques about exercise and don't have to do all that walking. My workouts are harder now and involve weights. :) I burn far more calories.
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    My wife got a dog a couple of years ago who decided to adopt me so I take him out whenever I can. Had a great walk this evening over some moorland by where I live with my son under the moonlight :-). I try and walk him 5 or 6 days a week and I also walk with a guy from work for half hr sessions 3 times a week. Gets me out of the office and into the fresh air as well so I think this is good for my psychology as well as my heart.
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I am really lucky to live within walking distance to a lot of places that I need to go to regularly (20 minutes to work, 10 minutes to the grocery store, etc). I basically have decided not to take my car for any 5-minute-or-less drives. This decision is both for the environment and for my health! The tricky part is that it often translates to a 20 minute one-way walk, which is difficult to plan for sometimes. What do you do? How far do you walk regularly, and how long of a walk would be normal for you to run your typical errands?
    I log in the distance and intensity ie speed.
    I walk 4 miles when I walk for exercise - 4mph - 600 calories burned.
  • Dallyhi
    Dallyhi Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    My husband and I walk 4 to 5 miles a day, 6 days a week for exercise. These walks will often include a trip to the bank, drugstore, a cup of coffee, veggie market, bakery, doctor and dentist, restaurants and movie house. Usually just take the car for grocery shopping, church and for visiting family. We are fortunate that we live in an area with lots of paved paths through ravines. In total we walked 1,183.95 miles last year. That for me is my daily exercise. I keep a log, of day/date/type of weather, lots of rain and wind!!, total miles, also how many calories I've leftover for the day as well as total calories consumed. It's fun to look at the record for the week to see how I've done. :smile:
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    It depends on the purpose of the errand. If I have lots of bags, then I don't want to walk more than 10 minutes. Otherwise 20 is OK if I have the luxury of 60 minutes to complete the errand.

The expensive grocery store is a 12 minute walk downhill and a 15 minute walk uphil home. I don't walk there often...well because there is a huge hill! I don't want to carry anything too heavy.

I am waiting for an excellent coffee shop to open in my neighborhood so I can walk to it. Right now all the great ones are 1-1.25 miles away....a little too far to take a coffee break during the my workday. :(

I am hoping to move this year, so I can get more items within 15 minutes of walking. Right now, it is more like 15-20. I am looking for 5-15.
  • gazz777
    gazz777 Posts: 722
    Options
    I LOOOOOVE walking over anything. Average about an 60-90 mins at 3 mph. Longest walk was 8 miles (12 km) - my favourite one. I want to go longer eventually and do charity walks.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    I walk at least 1-2 miles per day as exercise. When I was in college, I walked closer to 5 miles per day up and down hill because I lived so close to everything.

I miss that a lot.

Unfortunately, now I have a desk job and a 45-60 minute one-way commute to work.