Trouble increasing biceps curl weight

Options
Hi!

I'm doing dumbbells.

I've been lifting for 2 weeks, but have done weight lifting in the past. Now, in the past, my methods were a certain weight, 3 sets, 10 reps. When I was able, I would go up to 3 sets/10 reps of the next weight up. I only stuck it out for several months those times in the past and never saw much progress in my look. I'm hoping to stick to it longer now.

However, I am now trying a new method of heavy lifting to build a little muscle and help burn fat for definition. I'm basically doing 2 sets of one weight, 10 reps, then go up to the next weight for 1 set, as many reps as I can (usually 4-6 reps). The next lift day I try to do all 3 sets at the new weight, 6-8 reps. So far, in the last 2 weeks I have been able to progress up one weight (5 pounds more) in every exercise except for biceps curls. I've had this problem in the past as well, every muscle group progressing except for biceps.

I"m doing 2 sets/10 reps on 15 pounds, and trying my hardest to just do a max of 20 pounds 1 rep on the 3rd set. That's all I can do, and I can only do that on the right hand and not the left. Any suggestions on how to move up to 20 pounds, 3 sets of 8 (then eventually 10 reps)? Am I too impatient? I realize 2 weeks is practically nothing, it's just frustrating that I've moved up a weight in every other muscle, and had this problem in the past.

Replies

• koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    Less reps, more sets.
  • kacasey276
    kacasey276 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I agree with the previous post... Also, you should try super sets with other forms/exercises of the biceps curls.
  • DrumlineGirl
    DrumlineGirl Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    So should I try 15 lbs I've been on and more sets? I can't even do more than 1 rep on 20 ponds, so that's probably most logical. What are super sets?
  • addisondisease
    addisondisease Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Curls are the 2nd worst lift to do to lose weight btw. If you are trying to lose weight through weight lifting you should avoid isolating lifts like curls.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    Hi!

I'm doing dumbbells.

I've been lifting for 2 weeks, but have done weight lifting in the past. Now, in the past, my methods were a certain weight, 3 sets, 10 reps. When I was able, I would go up to 3 sets/10 reps of the next weight up. I only stuck it out for several months those times in the past and never saw much progress in my look. I'm hoping to stick to it longer now.

However, I am now trying a new method of heavy lifting to build a little muscle and help burn fat for definition. I'm basically doing 2 sets of one weight, 10 reps, then go up to the next weight for 1 set, as many reps as I can (usually 4-6 reps). The next lift day I try to do all 3 sets at the new weight, 6-8 reps. So far, in the last 2 weeks I have been able to progress up one weight (5 pounds more) in every exercise except for biceps curls. I've had this problem in the past as well, every muscle group progressing except for biceps.

I"m doing 2 sets/10 reps on 15 pounds, and trying my hardest to just do a max of 20 pounds 1 rep on the 3rd set. That's all I can do, and I can only do that on the right hand and not the left. Any suggestions on how to move up to 20 pounds, 3 sets of 8 (then eventually 10 reps)? Am I too impatient? I realize 2 weeks is practically nothing, it's just frustrating that I've moved up a weight in every other muscle, and had this problem in the past.
    Yes you're impatient. 5lbs a week is a lot to jump. Also biceps are small muscles. You will eventually top out regardless of how much more you're lifting with the other muscles.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • dos_treinta_y_cinco
    Options
    definitely, less reps more sets. Make sure you are giving your muscles the proper rest. The only way to improve size, definition, and strenght is proper rest and eating right. Good luck