Does anyone not track fruits and vegetables...

Options
... similar to the Weight Watchers points plus plan? I don't track them. There's no way I'm going to get fat on fruit and veggies, it encourages me to eat more (which I eat WAY more than I ever have!), it saves me some logging (which can get repetitive) and it makes this whole cutting back/eating less/tracking thing seem less of a bummer. Any thoughts?

Replies

• Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    the main feature of this site is the calorie counting.....some vegetables...(potatoes) are high in calories...not counting them defeats the purpose of this sites main function
  • DCG2911
    Options
    veggies I would think are okay (especially green ones) but fruits are high in sugar so I would probably track those? Not sure... let me know if you still get results and I may try! LOL
  • hope25
    hope25 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I count them just like other low calorie foods it adds up. Especially the fruit, I love to eat fruit and with some fruits being as high at 100 calories a piece I could easily eat 500 in fruits and veggies in a day.
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    I count everything, even fruits and veggies can add up if they make up a big part of your day. A medium banana is around 100 calories. An apple might be 100-150. And the veggies can add up, too, especially depending on how you prepare them. I log every single thing I eat that has calories. That's kind of why the site is working for me. :-) Produce calories count just as much as bacon calories and ice cream calories. They don't add up as quickly, but they still count.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    If you tend to be well under your calorie goal, you can probably get away with it. But if you're eating your entire calorie goal plus a bunch of fruits and vegetables, well, you're still going over your goal.
    There's no way I'm going to get fat on fruit and veggies
    Probably not, but you can certainly get fat by eating fruit and veggies AND your whole day's worth of calories.
  • toniRAD
    toniRAD Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    the main feature of this site is the calorie counting.....some vegetables...(potatoes) are high in calories...not counting them defeats the purpose of this sites main function

^ Agreed. Also, don't you want to know the other nutritional values of the fruits and vegetables you're eating?
  • Tia_N_Mac
    Tia_N_Mac Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I count fruit but not vegetables. I also eat 100 calories less than my daily goal to account for all the small things that can add up, like vegetables, ketchup, swirl of syrup, etc.
  • jenifer7teen
    jenifer7teen Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    unless it's celery or plain lettuce it makes no sense to act like they aren't food.

why count calories if you think some calories dont count?!
  • Iamkim73
    Iamkim73 Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    I dont track fruits and vegetables. Every now and then I will track every bite I take just to check myself.
    Before anyone comments on my food logs.... I KNOW I am under on most days, but keep in mind I dont track some stuff.

I started MFP becasue was not eating much protein, so I joined to track protein in effor to increas the amount I get in. I know this does not work for everyone but its working for me. :)