Calling all vegetarians.

Options
So I am considering going vegetarian, at least for a good while. The meats that I eat the most are tuna and chicken. I know these are healthy, but is it worth giving those up as well? Do I need to give up eggs? & what about protein?

I appreciate any thoughts, comments, support and ideas :flowerforyou:

Replies

• Leela30
    Leela30 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    in my opinion.. eat whatever you want.. or don't want.. I'm a "pescetarian" because I'm a vegetarian that eats fish. Personally, I don't care to be specific and to be judged by others.. most people won't care, but basically people have assumptions if you label yourself. if you want to cut out all meat but just keep chicken and tuna.. then just tell people, I eat like a Mediterrean.. which only eat meats on occasion. I would just call yourself a vegetarian to make your life easier to people know not to serve you a hamburger. You don't have to label yourself, but it makes it easier if you're being served food. To summarize.. eat whatever you want to eat, or don't want to eat, and just let your friends know, you're mostly vegetarian but you eat chicken..

now I warn you, because there are many debates about stuck up people being concerned about not 100% devoted vegetarians calling themselves vegetarians, but don't let that get to you. I've been a "pescetarian" for 3 years now, but every now and then I'll eat something with meat if I want to try something new. So my friends and family will just always assume I'm not eating meat, but if there's something I really love (like kielbasa) then I let myself have a treat every now and then. I guess the only problem is if you come across a die-hard vegetarian who hates everyone who eats meat.

I really hope I didn't scare you off. I feel so much healthier since I've stopped eating meat.. so just do what makes you happy!
  • teamnevergoingback
    teamnevergoingback Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Well I don't care AT ALL what ANYONE thinks so the label doesn't bother me.. I want the health benefits, you know? I'm thinking... use this as a type of detox, maybe kick start my weight loss.
  • kristelpoole
    kristelpoole Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I've been vegetarian or pescetarian for about 4 years and I don't think I'll ever go back. I use both terms interchangeably depending on where I am and who I'm with. But I don't eat chicken, ever.

You don't have to give up eggs, I eat eggs all the time.

Protein has never really been an issue for me. I eat whole grains, quinoa, beans, lentils, veggies, eggs, cheese, yogurt and occasionally meat-replacement foods like tofu, tempeh, or Morningstar foods. And luckily, MFP monitors your macros so you can keep track of what you are eating and the nutrients you are getting from it.

If you still want to eat meat (i.e. chicken), then you can call yourself a flexitarian, someone who only eats meat ~ once/week.

Hope that helps! Feel free to add me or look at my diary or message me. :)
  • Leela30
    Leela30 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    i've seen in the newspapers before and in plenty of articles that being "vegetarian" I.E not frequently eating meat... can decrease risks of some cancers and heart disease.. but I think your genetics speak louder. Being a vegetarian is "healthier" in that that most meat is not as clean as we think it is.. either from the animal itself or the way it was slaughtered.. but the down side is that vegetarians tend to have problems with reaching all their vitamin/mineral requirements that are only really found in meat, and vegetarians will then overcompensate and eat a lot of processed foods because they aren't eating meat and don't know what to eat.

I know I'm being wordy, but I'm giving you the truth from both sides..
  • nicothepotato
    nicothepotato Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    There is not a health issue with chicken and fish. They aren't bad meats nutrition wise. If you want to go veggie, it should be for a moral reason. There is a good environmental reason to give up meat, fish especially.

I'm a vegetarian and I don't eat eggs for a moral reason. I try to give up dairy as well but the cheese keeps calling me back. I've made it to the point of being a monetary vegan, being that I never purchase animal products if I can avoid it, but I can't refuse a piece of cheese on my veggie burger if it's offered to me at a cookout or something.
  • Lori_tortorella
    Lori_tortorella Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I became a vegetarian about 4 years ago; I can't tell you what the right decision for you is but I will tell you about my experience. I cut out 1meat at a time. First red meat, then pork, poultry, and finally fish. after I cut out poultry and fish I immediately lost 15 pounds! It wasn't the meat that was keeping the weight on, it was all of the chemicals and hormones in the meat. Even though there are some good things in fish and chicken, there are also harmful things in them. I personally believe that the less meat you eat, the healthier you eat.
  • SonicaBE
    SonicaBE Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I jiust became a re- vegetarian about a week ago..and this time its for real. I have lost a good amount of weight in the past when I have given up chicken , fish n eggs..i never have eaten beef or pork and lamb. anyhow it has worked for me. Its been drilled into us that we need protein, and that can only come from animal protein. Also i watched the doc "forks over knives"- and that just convinced me more. And then "earthlings" and I cant participate in that. Anyhow, this time around I am giving up milk too...switched to soy and almond..not bad so far. I feel alot cleaner from the inside- that is for sure.

Just my thoughts...good luck!
  • SonicaBE
    SonicaBE Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    ps.. I am a firm believer that all teh hormnes they pump into our food are the reason why weight doesnt come off that easily. Just go back to the very basic and I think u will see a diff...
  • nicothepotato
    nicothepotato Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    ps.. I am a firm believer that all teh hormnes they pump into our food are the reason why weight doesnt come off that easily. Just go back to the very basic and I think u will see a diff...
    Word. If you eat meat, at least go organic.
  • kristelpoole
    kristelpoole Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    vegetarians tend to have problems with reaching all their vitamin/mineral requirements that are only really found in meat

Why is this still common thought?
    vegetarians will then overcompensate and eat a lot of processed foods because they aren't eating meat and don't know what to eat.

Wow, don't make assumptions and state them as facts please. That may be the case for you or a couple people you know, but it is certainly not a fact. In fact, it's kind of offensive. I love to cook and have no trouble finding things that aren't meat. The meat counter at my grocery store is only about 1/20th (probably less) of the entire store, so I think my odds are just fine.
    There is not a health issue with chicken and fish.

Actually, chicken is commonly referred to as the "dirtiest" of all meats. Not all are entirely reputable, but still, here's a few links:

http://channels.isp.netscape.com/homerealestate/package.jsp?name=fte/dirtiestfoods/dirtiestfoods
    http://www.peta.org/living/vegetarian-living/top-10-reasons-not-to-eat-chickens.aspx

"A USDA study found that more than 99 percent of broiler chicken carcasses sold in stores had detectable levels of E. coli, indicating fecal contamination."

"Men's Health magazine recently ranked supermarket chicken number one in their list of the "10 Dirtiest Foods" because of the high rate of bacterial contamination."

"Chicken flesh and eggs are packed with cholesterol—a 3-ounce piece of skinless chicken breast meat has as much cholesterol as beef, and just one egg has nearly three times as much! This cholesterol, along with a high intake of animal fats, blocks arteries and causes heart disease. Vegan foods, on the other hand, are all cholesterol-free and much lower in fat!"

I'd eat a steak before I hate a Tyson chicken.
    If you want to go veggie, it should be for a moral reason.

Why? There are plenty of health benefits as well. Not to mention environmental, socio-political, etc...

I get so frustrated when people make assumptions or tell other people what to do or why they should do it, especially when it isn't labeled as an opinion.
  • mkmacf
    mkmacf Posts: 101
    Options
    In my family we call ourselves vegetarians, because that is the easiest title to use that gets the main idea across. We do not eat meat (including fish), we do eat eggs and dairy, but we don't eat gelatin. It depends on the person and their comfort level. It is really just a label or title, after all. You just eat what you like, and don't let people pester you if you want to keep eating some animal protein. It's all up to you!