Gym and Personal Trainer Pressure!

Options
Hello!

I just recently joined a new gym and am super excited to get back on track and lose even more weight in the new year. I love the gym so far, but I feel like I am being pushed and bullied sorta by the trainers there. I had one training session free with my membership, but they are pressuring into me signing a year contract since they say it is a process rather than a one time deal.

I would LOVE to have a personal training session every week but right now, I just cannot afford it. I already signed up for the gym for a year. I know I would really need it since I am not used to the weights, but I feel like I can learn most of everything on my own. Im motivated enough to.

My question is, how do I say no without ruining my relationship with the employees of the gym? I feel kind of bullied because they keep saying "you can pay that much to be healthier.." but the truth is, I really can't spend that kind of money right now.

Thanks! Looking forward to your answers. I don't want to let this ruin my motivation to go to the gym on my own.

Replies

• trigrrl
    trigrrl Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    just so no, and if the come back with some quip just smile and say no
    if they are really interested in your health it will not affect your relationship with them
  • mea9
    mea9 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I would be really honest and say no thank you but it's just not in your budget right now. That leaves the door open for future individual sessions with the trainer which, I think, is better anyway. Then they can tweek your program every few months.
  • addisondisease
    addisondisease Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    this is why i hate other trainers, half of them don't know what they are talking about, and are more of a salesman than anything else.
  • Gshields42
    Options
    Personal training is the way a lot of gyms increase revenue. They will push for it, because of the money involved, regardless you need or want.

In the best scenario personal training can be good because it gives you feedback as to what you are doing, how you are doing it, and motivation to continue through the ups and downs. Also, to be honest, the investment of money can help drive you since you don't want to 'waste' that money you have spent.

In the worst case, the personal trainers aren't particularly knowledgeable, may or may not provide you with quality feedback (and in some case may encourage things that can injure or harm you), and don't really build any sort of relationship with you. I think a lot of gyms that bully you over the personal training fall into this category, because they see it as a revenue stream and they try to maximize income and minimize costs (leading to untrained trainers, if you want to even acknowledge them the title).

At the end of the day, it all comes down to you. If you are uncomfortable with it, just say no. Threaten to take your business elsewhere if necessary. In almost every area gyms are becoming pretty ubiquitous, and they have to compete with each other.
  • peacek
    peacek Posts: 211
    Options
    Similar thing happened to me. Thre was no bullism but I was offended when the trainer said something like I cannot afford it.
    I respectfully agreed and said all that I can afford now is the gym membership.

Like evrybody else said, just say 'No, Thankyou' and don't stop there.
    Show them you can work hard and get results without them.:happy:
  • JStarnes
    JStarnes Posts: 5,576 Member
    Options
    They were like that at my gym, in the beginning, too. I set up the appointment to talk about the training and then didn't show up - twice. They stopped bugging me after that lol they're just as pleasant to me now as before, they just don't bug me to use their trainers. And, honestly, I've seen them "train" other members...I'm not at all impressed, 95% of the things they showed them I already know/knew. They tell them to do something, then go sit at their desks...if I'm going to pay someone to show me...they need to "show" me what to do.
  • dreamjo
    dreamjo Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the replies! I've told them 3 times I can't afford it but I still feel guilty and have a meeting again later this week to "discuss" options. I told him I could afford one or two sessions but thats all but he keeps saying that I need at least a few a month. I don't even want to do the one or two now bc they act like nothing's going to help unless I do it regularly.

Is one or two sessions a waste or should I not even do that since I can't commit to more?
  • rjmwx81
    rjmwx81 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    You've told him you can maybe afford one or two, so they smell "blood in the water" if you will. It's like telling a used car salesman that you think you might, maybe, perhaps want to buy a car next year...they want to get you in that car *TODAY*. lol. Personally, I would tell them that you've already heard the sales pitch and you're just not interested. No "maybe later" or "just one or two sessions."
  • blondishandbookish
    Options
    Don't feel guilty about saying no especially as you can't afford it. Personally if you can afford the occassional one, I would just book it for 6/8 weeks with the aim of setting a new programme/objectives as you get fitter.

On the other hand, if they reduce their prices to a third of the cost, then reconsider. (Might be worth stating that very clearly - the only way you can afford more session is at XX cost)
  • mea9
    mea9 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the replies! I've told them 3 times I can't afford it but I still feel guilty and have a meeting again later this week to "discuss" options. I told him I could afford one or two sessions but thats all but he keeps saying that I need at least a few a month. I don't even want to do the one or two now bc they act like nothing's going to help unless I do it regularly.

Is one or two sessions a waste or should I not even do that since I can't commit to more?
    It would probably be good to get them to look at your program every 3 months. That's about how long it takes for your body to really adjust to your workout and for it to become less effective. My $.02:)
  • Livingdeadgirl44
    Livingdeadgirl44 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    It's nice to have a personal trainer and I've had really good results from them before. But now I don't have the well paying city job I too can't afford it. I've used a popular chain of gyms for about 4 years now and never felt pressured, it seems a bit unprofessional to keep harassing you about it! I would say that if you are going to get training, go to a trainer who hasn't been bugging you :)
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options

Well.. you could always consider this:

There are business ethics in place for a reason. I would suggest grabbing the facility's corporate phone number, or perhaps the contact information of the Gym Owner... and explain the dynamics that the staff and personal trainer are imposing.

There is absolutely NO reason for anyone to be pushing anything.... they are definitely winning over you because you are admitting to feeling guilty here. Stop and think about this: how many people have they bullied into their personal trainer packages? They obviously 'know' what and how they are doing it.. because they are successful....

No is no is no is no.....
  • Loudmom01
    Loudmom01 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I was a personal trainer at 24 hour fitness (wouldnt know it to look at me now but I was in good shape back then). It is unacceptable to be bullied or pushed around by the trainers. Especially now when times are tough they should be understanding. If it gets worse I would complain to management because they may not be aware of what their trainers are doing. Make them aware of it. Going to the gym should be a fun experience but it may keep you from going if they continue to push you. Plus, if they are pushy trying to get you as a client they would not make the best trainer. Good trainers are compassionate and caring, not bullies. Good luck.
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Don't say "I can't afford it" or any other off-putting excuse. Say no.
  • boomboom011
    boomboom011 Posts: 1,459
    Options
    Hello!

I just recently joined a new gym and am super excited to get back on track and lose even more weight in the new year. I love the gym so far, but I feel like I am being pushed and bullied sorta by the trainers there. I had one training session free with my membership, but they are pressuring into me signing a year contract since they say it is a process rather than a one time deal.

I would LOVE to have a personal training session every week but right now, I just cannot afford it. I already signed up for the gym for a year. I know I would really need it since I am not used to the weights, but I feel like I can learn most of everything on my own. Im motivated enough to.

My question is, how do I say no without ruining my relationship with the employees of the gym? I feel kind of bullied because they keep saying "you can pay that much to be healthier.." but the truth is, I really can't spend that kind of money right now.

Thanks! Looking forward to your answers. I don't want to let this ruin my motivation to go to the gym on my own.

I called my gym after getting a call from a PT when i was pulling in my driveway after a long day at work, he got an attitude with me cause i couldnt talk right then. I called the gym and told them I dont care what note that they have to put on my account but that i dont want to hear from their trainers again. I will call them when I want their services. i wasnt rude just very blunt and to the point. The gym obliged me.
  • runnerchick69
    runnerchick69 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    No one should ever pressure you to sign on with a trainer! That is just really bad customer service!
  • PetitePerfection
    PetitePerfection Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Tell them you really truly cannot afford it and barely are able to afford the gym membership itself. Then go home and watch a bunch of youtube videos on proper workouts so you can come next time and show em who's boss!!!!
  • j4nash
    j4nash Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    I never do the free personal training sessions.. did it once and felt bad cause I knew I wasn't going to sign up. Best way to find a good trainer is through word of mouth.. or look at their clientele. If you want a version of a personal trainer do the group classes since they're free or try out crossfit.
  • sailorsiren13
    Options

Well.. you could always consider this:

There are business ethics in place for a reason. I would suggest grabbing the facility's corporate phone number, or perhaps the contact information of the Gym Owner... and explain the dynamics that the staff and personal trainer are imposing.

There is absolutely NO reason for anyone to be pushing anything.... they are definitely winning over you because you are admitting to feeling guilty here. Stop and think about this: how many people have they bullied into their personal trainer packages? They obviously 'know' what and how they are doing it.. because they are successful....

No is no is no is no.....
    I agree with this with times being what they are no one should ever feel like this. I would definitely call corporate or something. I was bullied at a gym by another patron and a trainer years ago and had to stand up for myself. Thankfully i was with a friend and i had many witnesses i also knew the director personally. Sorry rambling again they tried to get me in trouble but it didn't work take a stand or they win!
  • ravenone777
    ravenone777 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I got pressured in my first session. It was supposed ot be to teach me to use the machines etc. I complained to someone in charge and said it was a waste of my time, I had told them when I signed up for the gym I wasn't interested in personal training and I don't come to the gym to get a sales pitch. They apologised and left me alone after that. I also told the trainer at the end of that one hour session that I had no intention of signing up for PT and had said so from the start and that he wasted his time and mine trying to sell it to me. He was dodgy and made it sound like he was going to give me a free routine after he made me outline my goals on paper etc and then he would only put it all together if I signed up there and then with him.