Gym and Personal Trainer Pressure!

Options

Replies

• astrosnider
    astrosnider Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Be strong and practice saying no. You know the state of your finances much better than the people at the gym do. Let's face it, financial fitness is just as important as physical fitness.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    You need to blow the whistle on these folks. If you want to be anonymous, then use Yelp or some other customer review sites in your area and let them have it public. Or even post the name here and some of us will do it for you.

You spent your money. You know what you want to do--you can still be polite, but be firm. Cancel your scheduled meeting TOMOROW and tell them once and for all you are not interested at this time. Don't rationalize, don't plead poverty, don't negotiate--you do not owe them any explanation of any sort. Just say no.

Better yet, go directly to the manager. I am sure management is encouraging these guys to be aggressive, but they might not be aware that you find it so uncomfortable.

As others have said, there is no excuse, NOT ONE, for you to feel bullied or uncomfortable by a bunch of dip**** trainers.
  • cloud2011
    cloud2011 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    I can't tell you not to feel guilty, but don't feel guilty! It's your money, and sales people know that most people will say no a certain number of times and then cave in. But if someone is selling something you don't want for ANY reason, you've said no and they persist, basically, they are trying to control you. It's no different from someone who might try to sabotage your eating plan, even after you've said no to dessert.

The sales people are not respecting you. You do not owe them anything, even an explanation. One thing I've said which works, and is honest, is "That just won't work for me, thank you anyway." Feel free to delete the "thank you anyway." If they ask why, or keep on you, then just say, "That's all I'm going to say about it."

In any case, there's an old saying, "Don't complain, don't explain." Basically, you owe them nothing, and the guilt thing, if I could convince you to let it go, I would!
  • Azdak
    Options
    Trust me, anyone who would use these tactics is a crappy trainer, and not worth a penny. If they knew anything or were competent, they would not have to resort to such tactics.

Anyone who tried that at our club would be fired on the spot. And I guarantee that any one of our trainers is 10 times more qualified than any of these guys. They don't hard-sell anyone-they demonstrate their knowledge and skill and outline a solution for the client. That's all it takes. Sometimes they work with folks like yourself who just don't have the money at this time. No big deal. What happens is they remember how they were treated so that if and when they ever DO get some money, they seek the trainers out themselves. That's how real professionals do business.
  • DenverKos
    DenverKos Posts: 182
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the replies! I've told them 3 times I can't afford it but I still feel guilty and have a meeting again later this week to "discuss" options. I told him I could afford one or two sessions but thats all but he keeps saying that I need at least a few a month. I don't even want to do the one or two now bc they act like nothing's going to help unless I do it regularly.

Is one or two sessions a waste or should I not even do that since I can't commit to more?
    Personally, I'd call and cancel the appointment. Tell them you can't afford it, and since he said it will take more than the one or two you thought you could afford, that you don't want to waste his time so he can meet with other clients who are interested in his services. Thank him, and say you'll reach out when the time is right, but for now you're not interested. Then if he still pushes "no, I said no, I told you no..." And kindly excuse yourself.
  • laschndr
    Options
    You might want to skip that 'sit-down' session - they're going to bring a HARD sale and probably get you to sign up for a payment plan or something. It will likely be uncomfortable and a waste of your time if you don't intend to buy. And it will probably leave an even worse taste in your mouth about the place and the people who work there. You are perfectly capable of working out on your own! There are plenty of good resources out there to build your own routines and get the info you need.
  • Rachiepie6
    Rachiepie6 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    If you can't afford it, you can't afford it. You're right, you don't need it, you can do it on your own if you are motivated and dedicated to it.

They should respect that, tell them you are very disappointed in their behaviour and unless they want to give you free PT sessions, they should quit hassling you about it.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Don't do it.. I got bullied into buying PT sessions and what happened? I got injured(my trainer threw out my back three times!) and treated me like **** because I, like you, could only afford(barely!) two sessions a month. I wasn't paying him enough to actually treat me like he cared.. and now that trainer is fired from the gym and I got left with 4 or so sessions.

The PT I have now though is so much better... and actually does his job. So there are good ones out there... but there are also a lot of sleazy ones!
  • dreamjo
    dreamjo Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys so much for your advice! It makes me feel better to know that I'm not the only one that feels this way.

I will be saying no when I see them again. Everyone else seems so friendly there, I just have to make them respect my wishes and learn to just say no. We will see what happens once I say a firm No. Hopefully that will be the end of it.

Even though I am a beginner at weights, I will take advice and research the machines and routines online. I think it would make me feel accomplished in doing this myself.

Thanks!! I feel better now and am more confident in my decision of no.
  • hampstenj
    hampstenj Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Thank goodness I saw this when I did this morning.. I started with a trainer at 24 last night as an intro deal and not more than 5 minutes after nearly passing out because his workout was that intense and pushed me to my limit (a good workout yes, just intense) he goes and shows me the other options.. I was like Look I've been to the gym before, I KNOW I have a lot to lose (and I do mean a LOT) but I can't afford their astromatic rates for PT... I'll gladly do classes, and am dedicated to a plan of going to the gym 5-6 times a week but I will NOT be pressured into paying the rates for PT
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    I was in that exact same situation when I joined my gym. The thing is I really did want to sign up for PT, but I absolutely could not afford it. I told them this a couple of times and they kept trying to push it on me with "well we could do only one or two sessions a week" and other crud like that. Finally I just straight up told them, "Okay, I'm happy to sign up right now, but when you go to withdraw the money from my bank account next month you're not getting anything because I'll overdraft. I quite literally DO NOT HAVE enough money for PT." They backed off after that, but they were all still friendly to me. I think you just have to make it very clear that it's absolutely not in your budget.
  • Azdak
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Stupid zombie thread got me.

I'm trying really hard to be flexible and accepting of the new forum design. But it's a giant PITA right now.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    This is shady and gives personal trainers a bad name. We shouldn’t be pressuring people like telemarketers or door to door salesmen, that is completely unprofessional. Of course they are being put up to it by the gym management and their continued employment hinges on getting clients, but that isn’t your problem!

I would just say you can’t afford it, and if your financial situation improves, you’ll let them know. I would hope that the PTs feel uncomfortable having to hard-sell all of the time and certainly won’t think badly of you (and honestly, who cares if they do, you are there to use the facility and then go home!)

If possible, I would consider switching gyms, although you just signed a 1 year contract and they will probably make you bleed to get out of it.
  • fromfat2fit74
    Options
    I am sorry that they have pressured you so much! Don't they realize that they may be pushing a person OUT of the gym, I wouldn't want to work out while they are there. I have been extremely fortunate at my Anytime Fitness. They offer 3 free personal training sessions and no pressure. I decided to purchase 3 days per week but had to cut back to 2 days per week after a few months due to financial reasons. I have had 2 personal trainers and both have been wonderful. They are caring and encouraging. I have received letters and texts checking in with me when I had time off for various reasons (it wasn't financially motivated either as I was still paying the monthly rates). They cared about what was going on in my life and went beyond encouragement just at the gym. I am truly amazed at how much I have learned and how to have correct form. My trainer stays next to me the whole time to watch for correct form and push me (gently) to beyond what I think I can do. I would highly recommend Anytime Fitness Cambridge, MN trainers.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I would actually cancel your next meeting because I have a feeling they're going to use that time to pressure you into it. It's none of their business whether or not you can afford it, just tell them you're not interested, period, end of story. I'd probably even tell them up front that you'd appreciate it if they stopped offering the services, you'll let them know if you need their help. And if they don't stop, definitely report them to management.
  • hampstenj
    Options
    bw_conway wrote: »
    This is shady and gives personal trainers a bad name. We shouldn’t be pressuring people like telemarketers or door to door salesmen, that is completely unprofessional. Of course they are being put up to it by the gym management and their continued employment hinges on getting clients, but that isn’t your problem!

I would just say you can’t afford it, and if your financial situation improves, you’ll let them know. I would hope that the PTs feel uncomfortable having to hard-sell all of the time and certainly won’t think badly of you (and honestly, who cares if they do, you are there to use the facility and then go home!)

If possible, I would consider switching gyms, although you just signed a 1 year contract and they will probably make you bleed to get out of it.

I actually said that to the trainer last night, Then he comes back with well what could you afford.. Honestly I can't afford the training packages PERIOD, I mean your paying over $1 a minute for the trainers... just 1 session costs the same amount as 3 MONTHS in membership dues! Thank GOD he didn't force me into buying anything last night or else I would be out even more.. I like the gym but the pressures of that trainer is just too much..
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    RISE FROM YOUR GRAVE, NECRO POST!

rise_from_your_grave.png

This is a thread from 2012, it should be closed as inactive. >_<
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    hampstenj wrote: »
    bw_conway wrote: »

I actually said that to the trainer last night, Then he comes back with well what could you afford.. Honestly I can't afford the training packages PERIOD, I mean your paying over $1 a minute for the trainers... just 1 session costs the same amount as 3 MONTHS in membership dues! Thank GOD he didn't force me into buying anything last night or else I would be out even more.. I like the gym but the pressures of that trainer is just too much..
    ermagerds, getting forced!

Was the trainer really going to beat you bloody if you didn't sign a contract? LOL.
  • hampstenj
    Options
    blame google, I was searching before going to work and found the post, I figured it would be closed, so sue me for not knowing.. Gosh!
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    This Zombie Thread brought to you by: @hampstenj (I LOVE THE NEW MENTION FEATURE)