HRm vs MFP

Options
So I have a Timex HRM with a chest strap. I just ran 3 miles in about 36 minutes. MFP says I burned 375 calories, while my HRM says 600. Who the heck do I believe? I thought HRM with chest strap was the most accurate., but that is a huge difference. My average heart rate was 155. I am 5'2" and 170 lbs.

Thanks in advance for your fabulous advice!

Replies

• bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem with my Timex HRM. Many other MFP members say Timex HRMs are inaccurate. I compare the HRM and MFP numbers to the results of an equation I found online and I log a weighted average. I input your stats into the equation and it comes up with 358 calories burned. If your profile is correct, I used 33 as your age. Here's the equation for your reference and it's for females only:

= (0.074 x age in years - 0.05741 x weight in pounds + 0.4472 x average heart rate - 20.4022) x time elapsed / 4.184.

For an example calculation, a 43-year-old female weighing 143 pounds exercised for 45 minutes with an average heart rate during the session of 141 bpm:
    (0.074 x 43 - 0.05741 x 143 + 0.4472 x 141 - 20.4022) x 45 / 4.184 = 405 calories during your exercise session.
  • tam8374
    tam8374 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I would say go with the heart rate monitor. MFP doesn't account for height and weight when entering exercise, it's just a general guideline.
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    So I have a Timex HRM with a chest strap. I just ran 3 miles in about 36 minutes. MFP says I burned 375 calories, while my HRM says 600. Who the heck do I believe? I thought HRM with chest strap was the most accurate., but that is a huge difference. My average heart rate was 155. I am 5'2" and 170 lbs.

Thanks in advance for your fabulous advice!
    600 is way too much.

I wish!
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I would say go with the heart rate monitor. MFP doesn't account for height and weight when entering exercise, it's just a general guideline.
    No, go with your common sense.
    375 looks about right, and 600 is wishful thinking.

Come on folks.....
  • diagofussa
    Options
    I am not too sure about the Timex and if they have an issue or not but I have a Polar HRM and I feel the Calorie amount it reads out is correct.

I do think its very hard to put an average on a workout as everyone trains at such different levels. As well as their individual fitness levels make a difference as well.

My step instuctor wears the same HRM as me- obviously very fit - works her butt of for the 60 min class and so do i but I am nowhere near as fit as her and she can not get over 500 cal burn as hard as she tries! whereas I can bur between 600 and 700 calories in my session.

I can also do the same class and duration but not put in as much effort and only burn low 500s.

Since having my HRM I have also found that my calories have not been as high as when I first got it while doing the same excercise I did only a few months ago. Thats because I am so much fitter. I don't peak at the super high HRM as much and I have a much quicker recovery. ie. my HR is not sitting up as high for as long as it used to.

So in my opinion, I think the HRM's are correct. again, I am not too familiar with the Timex.

My experience anyway.

Good luck!
  • beeblebrox82
    beeblebrox82 Posts: 578 Member
    Options

nope.

I have a Timex HRM as well. I "recalibrated" it by going on separate 2 mile and 4 mile runs. I then used several different equations online, including ones that used the average heart rate from the watch itself. In all cases, on both duration runs, the Timex was over the accepted formulas by about 1/3. I thought it was interesting that it was linear: double the duration, off by the same factor.

So now I just log 2/3 of the calories it shows. That seems to be much more in line with what other people get. I'll probably redo that every 10-15 pounds or so just to make sure it's tracking the same.

I contacted Timex to let them know they were all wet, and they were not very helpful... in fact, they completely stopped talking to me when they figured out I was out of warranty. I need to bump them again.

So yea. If you have a Timex HRM, take it back... if you're in the market... don't buy one.... if you're stuck with it... do some math and see for yourself.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Timex HRM's suck.. Period. If you get one of the cheaper ones that don't allow you to enter gender, then it assumes you are a male and thus gives off the calorie burn of one. Even if it does allow you to enter all info.. they still suck.

Go with MFP for now until you can take the darn thing back. Then get a Polar and save you're self a big headache.
  • diagofussa
    Options
    Yeah I do love my polar! I can''t train without it!

Sounds like Timex have an issue! Best of luck with it!
  • diagofussa
    Options
    And I had a look at alot of my previous runs and stats from my Polar readings and the 600 does look incredibly high even for when I was unfit!
    Like the others say, might have to do some re-calculations. Or get a POLAR!
  • Crystal_R84
    Crystal_R84 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I have a polar HRM and LOVE it! MFP just guesstimates your burn.
  • mcrowe1016
    mcrowe1016 Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    I weigh 185 and am 5'7" When I run 3 miles in 36 minutes I burn about 450 calories or less. Because you weigh less than me, your burn would probably be a bit less. :-( Sorry
  • fnm101
    fnm101 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I've noticed only slight discrepancies between MFP and my Polar HRM. MFP is estimating a little more than my HRM (so today I entered 59 minutes to get the calories to match, instead of the actual 63 mins). Still, at 800+ calories, both seem a bit high to me...I'm only going to "eat back" about 75% of my running calories to start with. Also, using a few online calorie calculators, I'm getting about 100-200 calories less than both estimates.

Given what I've observed so far, for your body specifications, 600 calories in 36 minutes seems a bit high. I'd take about half of that.

Btw, I am a 190 lb female, 5'6", and my avg. HR on my run today (6.2 miles @ 10min. pace) was 164.
  • Nikola222
    Nikola222 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar as well and love it! Actually have two just got a new one for xmas!! My trainer told me go with what my monitor says.