New and Need Help!!!

Options
I am new here and I am desperate. I am 33 years old and weigh 330 lbs. I am in so much pain I can't even walk. I found out on Friday that I have arthritis in my knee and I am so ashamed I want to die. I am filled with self hate and despair. There is so much good in my life that I want to live for but I am afraid I'll never get there. If anyone has any thoughts or advice on getting started I would really appreciate it. Thanks!

Replies

• mexchica72
    mexchica72 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    The important thing is you are here and talking. Start small. Small attainable goals. Just get moving, even if it's only for 20 min. It's better than nothing. You can do it!
  • Kaylee_law_123
    Kaylee_law_123 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Hey, you've made the first step by signing up and asking for help - add lots of people as they will help keep you motivated!
    There are sooooooo many people out there in a similar situation and you will find a lot on here who will inspire you and keep you going!

Well done on making the first step :-)
  • elliott82
    elliott82 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    admitting that you need help and coming here is such a leap in the right direction. the only advice i can give you is to take it one day at a time. you will screw up at some point. don't beat yourself up over it. wallow for a minute, then make up your mind to do better the next day (or meal). one screw up doesn't screw up everything. i have a long way to go, but i have psyched myself into this mindset and know that i can do it. it won't be easy, but you'll feel better, look better, walk better, love better...especially yourself.

feel free to add me and i'll be here to talk if you need anything!
  • wallx
    wallx Posts: 2
    Options
    do not let that news upset you. you joined for a reason and that pain you can reverse it!we all can do it you can do it!
  • krisrpaz
    krisrpaz Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    You've hit rock bottom but you are here because you know what you need to do. I've been there, at rock bottom. It is hard to see the light at the end but believe me, it gets better. Only you can find the motivation you need to make changes. Find a positive goal and work towards it. Don't focus on the negative reasons you need to lose weight; focus on the positive.
  • nicki_1004
    Options
    I am also new here I joined last year but life got in the way and I quit before I got started. I weighed in last Tuesday at 284. I don't really have issues with pain...unless I have had it for so long I just don't realize it. I do not have pictures of myself and someone had posted a few pics of me on facebook and I could not believe it. Obviously I knew I was a "big girl" but it wasn't til I saw the pictures I realized just how big I was.I was so ashamed that I had let myself get to the size I had. It made me realize that I NEEDED to do something now. Everyone on here seems to be great and I am really excited about doing this with them. Obviously we have all been in the same boat. I just added some friends yesterday and today to help me go through this. You are more than welcome to add me if you'd like.
  • kenyagrayfit
    kenyagrayfit Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    It is your mindset. I had a mindset of putting off losing weight for years. I had low self-esteem and there was a lot of verbal and emotional abuse in my home. This was while I was working at the shelter. Because we were so unhappy in my marriage at the time, my husband moved out for three months. That was when I knew I had to get it together for myself and for my children. Working At A Safe Place helped me realize that I dealt with some of the same issues the women did, so I knew that as I encouraged them, I needed to encourage myself. That is where the process began with me. I knew I had to do something. I joined Weight Watcher and begin exercising five to six days a week. I realized that God loved me, I was valuable and I had a lot to live for so that was the drive that helped me to lose the weight, to change my eating habits, and my activity level. I knew my chances of having diabetes, heart disease, cancer and stroke would be inevitable if I did not change. I had also just lost my best friend a few months before to a heart attack at 30. She was very heavy set. I say all this to say that sometimes you have to get to that desperate place to change and God allowed me to be there because he knew that if I changed, I could help someone else. That was 2004, so now 7 plus years later, God has restored me. I love myself and though I still have challenges with my marriage and children, etc but I am in a healthy place and I am so humbled and compassionate because of my experiences. You will be a success and I believe you can win this Challenge because you know that enough is enough and you are worth it. You are going to look and feel great!
  • elitecoach
    Options
    Hi,
    Don't give up. That's the main thing. Next, invest in a personal trainer, a good one. Ask around until you find one you're comfortable with. Now, for motivation please read this recent CNN article: http://www.cnn.com/2012/01/25/health/weight-loss-profile-bryan-ganey/index.html?hpt=hp_t3

Remember, only one thing can stop you from reaching your fitness goal: giving up. So, don't give up.

If you just need some regular motivation, send me a message.

Oh, by the way, don't give up :-)

Steve
  • DirtyHippieFeet
    Options
    Self-loathing is seldom productive. You are a lovable and worthy person.

Make a list of all the changes you need to make to live a healthier life, and start making them one or two at a time. Get moving, even just a few minutes a day; I met a man who, when he started, could literally barely walk across the room, and now he is the picture of health. Baby steps are still steps! So if you can only walk to the corner and back, or halfwya to the corner and back, do that! Or check out your local YMCA for open swim times or water fitness classes; taking the strain off your knee may help you be in less pain and more ready to stick with it.

Start replacing the unhealthy things in your diet with healthy things. I LOVE pizza, but instead of ordering one, we'll make one with a healthier crust, more veggies, and leaner meats. I have yogurt with fresh berries instead of ice cream and bake things instead of fry them. And I try to set SMALL goals and achieve them; looking at it as just one whole huge picture is really overwhelming.

You said yourself that you don't really want to die; you have a lot to live for! Talk to your doctor about your desire to live healthier; s/he should be able to refer you to a nutritionist to help get you started. Tell the shame inside you to take a hike. We all have to start somewhere. You have the drive to make your life what you want it to be, and that is something to be proud of.
  • regions02
    regions02 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Don't give up. You have to start somewhere - might as well be here with supportive friends. Take baby steps - it can't happen overnight. Make the wisest choices you can and when you make wrong choices - just do better the next time. Feel free to add me as a friend.
  • jillmsweeneytaylor
    Options
    Good for you, you made it to this site & all the positive people on here will help you to shine :flowerforyou:
  • machchic
    machchic Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Just found this app for my phone, I love it. I have been trying to lose weight since first of year and just a struggle, up 3 pound down 3 pound. So I thought some motivational help from people like me wanted to finally reach a goal.

Live in Ohio so treadmill will be my best friend right now. Looking forward to meeting some people to support and challenge me.

Ok so only pic I could find of me, I hide form any camera....lol
  • pupcamper
    pupcamper Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Don't hate yourself! Easier said than done I know but you have to learn to be proud of yourself the good stuff you have done and not beat yourself up because you didn't live up to what you think you should be doing! Set yourself some small attainable goals. Make small changes you can live with, take it slow and steady this has to be a lifestyle change not a quick fix. Take each day as it comes and try to to the best you can each day. Don't think of food as a reward or a punishment. It won't take long for you to notice a difference in the way you look and the way you feel!

It may not feel like it but rock bottom is a good place to start - it can only get better! You can do this - you are worth it!!

Good luck.
  • jobie4153
    Options
    Every journey begins with one step. One thing in your favor, is your young age. I am almost double your age and now have some medical issues to deal with (type II diabetes, high blood pressure) and I wish someone had told me at your age to get back to a healthy weight. I think it can be so overwhelming...so baby steps! Start with simple substitutions in your diet (diet soda or Crystal Light, drinking more water) and try to move more (just get up off the couch and walk around the house every hour). Make small weight loss goals instead of looking at the whole amount...and treat yourself to something when you hit the small goals...something as simple as a new nail polish or flowers. Put a penny or marble in a clear jar for each pound you lose...visuals are motivational for me. Best of luck...don't give up on yourself...and once you begin your changes, you will feel so much better about yourself.
  • donthatethesexyme
    Options
    Hey there! Don't give up! We are all here for the same reason! To get healthy. I also have arthritis in my knees. I find an advil or something before I begin my workout helps tremendously with the pain and I can go on longer. When I first started after just 10 minutes I was in such pain I stopped. Now I'm OK for at least an hr. After my workout I try to elevate my legs for a few minutes and I'm back to normal every day activity. Just remember to take it one step at a time. We did not get this big overnight...therefore it will also take time to get the lbs back off. You can do this add me If you want and we can do this together! Good luck