100 lbs.. Unrealistic?

Options
I am currently close to 300 lbs, at a young age and have been heavy my whole life, I am starting to eat healthy and gonna get excercising to lose wieght. I need to loose a 100 lbs to get to my realistic wieght for my hieght, is it an unrealistic goal? has anyone else done it? is there any useful tips? I am not looking for negativety, just some positive reinforcement to keep me motivated!

Replies

• satoshieyes
    Options
    I'm aiming for 200 so no it's not unreasonable I'm not sure about adding nutritional advice but I can help with exercise
  • lyssamichelle
    lyssamichelle Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    There are tons of people that have lost that & more. My mother lost 145 lbs over a two year run. There's a girl that lost 110 lbs in 10 months. (I'm not sure how she did it.) I have around 100 lbs to lose myself. I've been overweight since I was around 8 or 9. It's extremely possible. & I'm positive you're going to do it.
    My only tips are to get at least 30 mins of physical activity in a day.
    Drink at least 8 glasses of water.
    & psyche yourself out! That's the number 1 reason people give up!
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    not unrealistic at all. don't rush. be safe. it will take at least as long to lose it as it did to gain it, so be patient.

walking is a good start. get those legs moving!
  • PositivelyFlawed
    PositivelyFlawed Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    160 lbs here and I've seen people do it and there are a ton of success stories on MFP about 100+ weight loss. It can be done with HARDWORK AND DEDICATION!!!!! You can do it if u put your mine to it. Feel free to add me as a friend if you like. I've only been here a couple days and have already been able to surround myself with such positive and inspiring people. You are welcome to join in! :)
  • spacecase76
    spacecase76 Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend has lost close to 200 pounds (I think the current number is 196 lost). He has not had surgery. He has done it strictly with diet and exercise. You *can* do this. GL!
  • dovesgate
    dovesgate Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    The biggest tip I have is that if 100lbs seems way too overwhelming, break it down into smaller goals. Aim for a much smaller goal, just to get you excited and motivated. Maybe, 20lbs or 10 or even 5. Whatever number will get you jazzed up and aiming for the next number. Or, if you are more focused on moving more, then set a fitness goal. A certain number of minutes per day or week or exercise calories burned.
  • SimplyDeLish
    Options
    of course you can do it! just do it the healthy way...aim for 1-2 lbs a week and eat as clean as possible, exercise, and have a positive mindset.
  • CopperSquared
    Options
    thanks you guys, I had lost a bunch of wieght went to school and it went down hill from there, I am sick of being fat and the biggest girl in the classrooms, I know people talk behind my back about it and laugh in my face when I say I am going to do it. So it makes things harder!
  • vox23
    vox23 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    It is totally doable!

Lots of people will have tons of advice. The only thing I did was eat as healthy as I could, drink lots of water, and get active daily!!!!! And above all, JUST KEEP GOING, even if you hit a wall.

Best of luck!
  • coyoteo
    coyoteo Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    I have a little over 100 left to use and it's definitely not unrealistic! One day at a time, one meal at a time one exercise at a time....we will do this!
  • MasonMelissa
    MasonMelissa Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    It is not unrealistic if you give yourself a propper amount of time to do it. 100lbs in a year is a bit much so try to give yourself a year and a half instead. The best way to do this is break it down into smaller goals like 20lbs in the next 3months or so. As someone once said slow and steady wins the race.

12446860.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • AnitaAntone
    AnitaAntone Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Its only unrealistic if you expect it to happen quick! ive got 120lbs to lose and have lost 2/3rds of it over the last year. i'm over 40yr old and its happpening slowly but surely. stick with this and you can achieve it! good luck! let me know if i can be of support to you :flowerforyou:
  • AnnettLynn
    Options
    257, and I'm aiming for 180. It's not quite 100, but close! I haven't lost any weight yet, but I only started this month. You can do it, I'm sure of it. Just watch what you eat, drink water, and exercise a bit.

If you need a friend for some motivation, feel free to add me. :)
  • brookepenni
    brookepenni Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    It must be possible - Ive seen heaps of people here with these numbers in their tickers!! I love seeing them, its so motivational! (Ive lost 50lbs so far, about another 20 or so to go).

My advice - break it down into bite size goals. Dont look at it as 1 big number because there will be times where it will feel like its impossible. Aim for 20 to start with, then reward yourself with something and celebrate. Then keep going! Take all the compliments you can get - they are like fuel to my fire and keep me going when the scales dont move. Keep moving every day - 30mins will kick your body into shape and it feeds the brain too! After you've mastered the walk, belt it out - walk faster!!

You can do it! And were all here to help :)
  • Jessamin
    Jessamin Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I was 365 and have lost 155 this year, aiming for 220. It's not unrealistic. I think the most important thing I learned was that I WAS going to bugger it up every once in a while, you just have to dust yourself off and accept the consequences and keep going.
  • annacataldo
    annacataldo Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    I just hit 10months of watching what I eat, I really slowed down at about 8months in, so most of my weight loss is happened then. Just remember to stick with it, even if u stop losing for awhile, or slow down, u will eventually get to ur goal. Never give urself time limits, ur done when ur done, it's not a race. Also it's not about being perfect, so where some people spend hours a day on exercise, I focus more on food. Staying within my calories, even if I have bad items. (don't look at recent diary weeks, I had Christmas followed by vacation, followed by anniversary/birthdays and I haven't been as focused due to those things, BUT I never let myself go back to old ways, even when I was eating fast foods 3times a day on vacation I was never over maintenance calories, so again it's not about being perfect 100% of the time, just doing the best u can. I bet if u averaged out the amount of exercise I've done it would be less than once a week over these months, so u can do it by just food choices alone, but the exercise will help tighten and firm flab. Even though it sucks that I've barely lost weight in 2-3months, it's giving my skin a chance to catch up, so when there's something negative ur looking at, there's always a positive. Good luck
  • CurvyTrini87
    Options
    No it not Unrealistic!

I am 24yrs old and currently weigh 322LBS. My goal is to lose 122Lbs in a year. I started on 1/4/12.I had break it down into smaller goals s that, each month I can lose 8-10Ibs.

When you look at it! 122 Lbs/12 months= 10.17LBS/per month.

I have done great this week by keeping my cal intake between 1200-1900Kcal. Working out 4 Days a week

Overall my goal are to Increase my exercise to 5-6days a week. Each day I must to over 90mins of cardio and strength training.

PS! Do you guys have any Suggestion!
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: Don't be afraid to add me!
  • scottyroman
    scottyroman Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    no its not you can do it you just gotta keep motivated a big help is to plan your eating and exercise out for the whole day a day ahead and stick to even through holidays and family dinner or dine outs
  • yesiamaduck
    yesiamaduck Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I've done it before and I'm doing it again!

It's totally possible, you just have to stick at it, the fact you can eat a fairly high amount of calories at a high weight and still lose significant weight will help ease you into things and slowly take you down to a 'normal' diet.