My war with Sodium

Options
I am new to this but having a great time using both my MFP ap and this amazing community. This has to be the most positive place I have been online.

I have been going a week now and have lost a stupid amount (5kg or 11 pounds). I know this is just me losing water because I have seen this before. I am aware the hard slog is ahead of me.

I love to exercise and I have read some great things on here about making sure I eat back all my exercise calories. I am even buying a Polar HRM to make sure I don't overestimate my burn. I want to eat really well but I have the age old problem of consistently eating all those calories back. As you will see in my diary, my choices are leading me to have some days of Sodium explosion.

I am going to change from Vita Brits to plain oats for Breakfast. And those Lite Wraps were good for calories but horrendous for my sodium levels. The types of foods I feel like I need to eat to get my calories up are things like bread and beans or light ham etc. I haven't gone over my calories once, yet yesterday my sodium was twice my allowance.

So my problem isn't cutting back on calories, it's eating enough good stuff to get to my NET.

Any ideas? Also any advice for a new dieter from my diary would be graciously accepted.

Thanks so much

Replies

• mightn
    mightn Posts: 35
    Options
    Also, I had to get to an appointment yesterday so had some Lean Cuisine for dinner. Again, great for my calories but slaughtered my sodium levels
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    As you're noticing, the pre-packaged foods are usually packed with sodium. I used to eat a lot of the pre packaged meats and hadnt really paid too much attention to my salt levels until I started using MFP.

Obviously the easiest way to cut back on your sodium intake is to prepare as much of your food as possible, and not eat microwave meals etc. A lot of jarred sauces (stirfry sauces etc) are also really high.

Some simple changes would be to use fresh meats on your sandwiches (ie fresh sliced ham from the deli section or chicken etc you have cooked over pre sliced and packaged foods. Watch what sauces you use, and limit the amount of microwave meals you have.

I don't freak out if I'm a little over but twice the recommended amount is a good sign to pull it back a bit :P
  • neclar
    neclar Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    if you use apps, i have an ap DietPoint. i've been using it for about 2 weeks now and it is really helping me. it gives you a 3,4,5, or 7 day diet to fallow. i did a 4 day diet end of last week and lost 4 lbs. it's helped me learn how to eat and keep my sodium down too. salt is a big problem for me too. friend me if you'd like :) and good luck.
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    I am always stupid low on my sodium, I have food intolerance that prevent me from eating most processed foods. That's the only advice I can give regarding sodium, make your own food, even adding salt will be way less sodium then what comes in a box.

If you're trying to hit your net add things like nuts (plain and raw), hummus, and avocados for extra calories without messing with your sodium levels.
  • PANZERIA
    PANZERIA Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Honestly, there are no real 'diet tips' or advice that I can give you that could help. All you need to know is this: go for REAL food. If it's made by humans, it's bad. Processed foods will be high in sodium. For example, buy chicken that is air chilled without skin.

Just read labels and be smart in regards to your food choices. Take that extra time during the day to pack fresh foods for snacks so you can make it home at night. Take the air chilled chicken out of the freezer to defrost while you're at work during the day. I've found over a period of time that these things become routine. It really is a lifestyle change - going from quick and easy to prepared and healthy.
  • 16mixingbowls
    16mixingbowls Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    How are you tracking your sodium? Looking at your diary I see calories/fat/protein/carb....... no sodium. I would suggest subbing out much of the processed stuff for lean meats, and veggies, brown rice, and fats from avocado, nuts, peanut butter, etc. Do you have a way to bring food with you to work? Or wherever you are in the day? It looks like some days you have a carrot or two between breakfast and dinner. Maybe this works for you, but I'm just asking since "easier" food is often less healthy, and if you can make foods rather than using stuff out of a wrapper, it will be waaaay less sodium.