counting work as exercise?

Options
Hi all very new to this, I work at night doing 4 hour shifts with no breaks doing night fill.
So I'm walking up and down aisles all night carrying and unloading boxes.
can I use this as excercise and what do I count it as, so far I've used it as walking carrying load for 240mins(4hrs) is that a bit extreme?

Thanks

Replies

• AudreeL
    Options
    I would like to count my work as an exercise too. I'm a housekeeper at a motel. I dont see making beds, vacuuming and other things i do on the list.
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    work is not exercise. it is already counted in your BMR as your activity level.
  • smalltownhero
    smalltownhero Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Cleaning is on the list :)
  • PandaFAmBAm
    Options
    When you sign up it asks you what type of activity during your day do you have. So for me I am an account so I picked the lowest amount of work
  • ignatiusreilly
    ignatiusreilly Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Instead of counting it as exercise, it should be built into your profile settings (select "active" or "very active"):

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/change_goals_guided
  • crewsicka
    crewsicka Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I need a job.
  • PandaFAmBAm
    Options
    How would you describe your normal daily activities?

Sedentary: Spend most of the day sitting (e.g. bank teller, desk job)

Lightly Active: Spend a good part of the day on your feet (e.g. nurse, salesman)

Active: Spend a good part of the day doing some physical activity (e.g. waitress, mailman)

Very Active: Spend most of the day doing heavy physical activity (e.g. bike messenger, carpenter)
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, this type of activity is part of your normal daily life and should be included in your lifestyle setting, not logged as exercise. Your activity/lifestyle setting should be "light active" or "active". If it was me, I would use "light active" since it's not a full 8-hour work day.

To view/change your settings, click on Settings at the top right of screen, select Update Diet/Fitness Profile.
  • chaoticchica
    chaoticchica Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    For me, I count my work as excercise because I only work one or two nights a week, sometimes three but it varies from week to week. My usual daily activity is fairly active (it kind of has to be with four kids under 12) but on work nights I'm all over the place as a sports photographer. I agree with what a lot of people are saying in that, if that is a regular part of your activity, then it should be accounted for in your daily 'starting' activity level, though.