Bread Alternative

Options
I was wondering if anyone knew a good alternative to bread?

I love to have some light philly on toast for breakfast but the bread is higher in calories than the cheese. Who would have thought?

I have thought about tortilla wraps/pita bread but even the 'healthy' ones are higher in calories than the bread and I doubt it would taste as good.

Replies

• bademasi
    bademasi Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I have been eating SarahLee 45 calories and Delightful 100% Whole Wheat Bread. Two slices are 90 calories and its got a good taste. My teenager is eating it now too. She said she loves it.

:happy:
  • Stevebone42
    Options
    I don't know about a substitute, but I did read in menshealth a while back that if you freeze the bread then toast it it will drop the calories by about 20 per slice.
  • crunchybubblez
    crunchybubblez Posts: 387 Member
    Options

I love to have some light philly on toast for breakfast but the bread is higher in calories than the cheese. Who would have thought?

I have thought about tortilla wraps/pita bread but even the 'healthy' ones are higher in calories than the bread and I doubt it would taste as good.

Best bread, bagels, or any other grain is sprouted.
    I like the Ezkiel brand for bread and tortillas.
  • amonkey9
    Options
    I don't know about a substitute, but I did read in menshealth a while back that if you freeze the bread then toast it it will drop the calories by about 20 per slice.

AWESOME
  • xMissy6x
    xMissy6x Posts: 347 Member
    Options

how is this possible when its still the same composition??
  • shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options

The study had nothing to do with calories; after toasting bread it had less of an effect on blood sugar (supposedly because starches were altered).
  • Hbc266
    Hbc266 Posts: 12
    Options
    I love the healthy lifestyle brand breads! Some varieties have only 35 calories per slice-- i LOVe using them with egg substitute, vanilla and splenda to make french toast, topped with sugar free maple syrup!
  • vs1023
    vs1023 Posts: 417 Member
    Options

Best bread, bagels, or any other grain is sprouted.
    I like the Ezkiel brand for bread and tortillas.

I only use Ezekiel bread too. Love it!
  • ameelah
    ameelah Posts: 12
    Options
    One of the girls said she swears by Flat Out Hungry Girl Fold It Flatbread, with wheat and flax!. One flatbread is 90 cal.
  • crewsicka
    crewsicka Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Try cardboard. Very good with peanut butter.
  • sansouchi1050
    Options
    I like Sarah Lee low cal bread. It's 45 cals per slice maybe 5-6 carbs.
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options
    One of the girls said she swears by Flat Out Hungry Girl Fold It Flatbread, with wheat and flax!. One flatbread is 90 cal.

That's me! Tastes so yummy! Tonight I topped one with some spinach, feta, sundried tomatoes, and mushroom and baked it. I thought I died and went to heaven it was so good! This afternoon I made a tuna sandwich out of it. It has 7g of protien and 7g of fiber with only 15g carbs and 3g fat. I bet it would be soooo yummy toasted with a little philly and sugar-free strawberry preserves. YUM!
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    Ryvita crispbread? The dark rye is very good and only 40 calories or so.
  • hausofnichele
    hausofnichele Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    When I need bread I use Arnold or Pep Farm deli flats/sandwich thins. They're 100 cals, flatter than regular bread and I get the flax seed/grain kind which has some fiber in it. Works well for me.

I also really like Melba toast and things similar to it for eating with tuna. They're just little super crunchy bread slices. Very low carb and calorie. Should be in the cracker aisle :)
  • adjones5
    adjones5 Posts: 938 Member
    Options

:noway:
  • cnflet2
    cnflet2 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    flour tortilla wraps. Some brands have real low calorie options
  • flisafakto
    flisafakto Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I usually go with Wasa/Ryvita crispbread or Bagel Thins.
  • xMissy6x
    xMissy6x Posts: 347 Member
    Options

The study had nothing to do with calories; after toasting bread it had less of an effect on blood sugar (supposedly because starches were altered).

that makes a lot more sense haha. So basically they were saying toasting lowers the GI index?
  • tazz61
    tazz61 Posts: 7
    Options
    Low carb, Low fat, Bread. In the Freezer section in the healthy food isle in the Grocery store. It is Expensive , But only as like 40 calories , and only like 4 carbs a slice. It runs around 4.00 a loaf here. I would just keep it in the freezer and take a pc out as i needed it. It is like an Atkins Bread.