I'm working out properly but not losing weight

Options
123457»

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    Straight up.........................if you're gaining weight it's because you're eating more than you're burning. There's no gray area here.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    So you obviously aren't logging everything because even based on your BMR, you theoretically should be able to eat 2700 calories and still lose. At 244 lbs 28% body fat, your BMR is 2091. If you workout 6 days a week that would make you moderately active according to the Katch McArdle formula. Doing the math, that would make your TDEE 2091 * 1.55 = 3241. If you make a deficit of 500, you would be eating 2741 calories and still lose 1 lb a week. That would equate to ~19000 calories a week. This leads me to say, your binge days are huge. And that is why you are gaining. Get your calories under control and limit the binge days and you should have weight loss.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    I would be highly suspicious of any activity that estimates your calorie burn at more than 8-9 cal/minute, just as a rough guideline.

If you are shooting for 1700 cals, then you want to NET 1700 cals at the end of the day. So, something like:

Daily Budget: 1700 net cal
    Workout cals: +500 calories
    Total Intake: 2200 calories

These numbers are assuming, of course, that you are properly measuring/logging your food, and that you are getting solid estimates on your caloric exercise burn. When in doubt, round your dietary calories up and your exercise calories down to get a "cushion."
  • stubbysticks
    stubbysticks Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    I didn't read the whole thread because the "muscle weighs more than fat" crap made my eyeballs fall out. There's some solid advice in the responses though & you sound like a smart enough guy to pull that out.

To reiterate the key pieces of info you need here:
    1) Accurate record of intake. I didn't look at your diary, but I saw enough others comment on it that I don't think I need to. Just try to keep it as accurate as possible & get enough protein without being too dependent on shakes for it.
    2) More accurate estimate of calorie burn. From what you described, I think it would be impossible for MFP to estimate what you burn with your routine. Personally I don't trust anything that isn't attached to my body while I exercise to tell me what I burn when I do it. I'm not sure an HRM would even do you justice since your workout is such a mix of strength & cardio. I wear a Bodymedia Fit & I swear by this thing. It gives me amazing control over my calorie deficit by telling me how much I burn whether I'm exercising or doing laundry.

To lose weight, you'll want your total deficit for the week to be in the 3500-7000 range. If you want to have a cheat/binge/spike/whatever day at the end of the week, you can structure your calorie target to allow for bigger deficits during the week & a surplus at the end...which happens to be what I'm doing now.

If you can get more precise about your intake/expenditure I'm certain you'll get to the bottom of it.
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    People in this thread keep saying I'm eating too many calories but I only eat 2000+ because I'm eating back my exercise calories, which is what everyone says I'm supposed to do.

My MFP target is 1710, and I usually burn off anywhere from 300-800 calories a day at the gym, which is why my calorie intake is high after eating back the exercise calories (or at least some of them).

So I can't get my head around the advice. Is eating that many calories ok (as long as it's exercise cals) or should I be cutting down? Seems like everyone is contradicting everyone else. I'm honestly starting to wonder how seriously to take advice on here, and how many people are just making it up as they go along :(

Now...instead of having beer and pizza, eat healthy food! You should only have one protein shake and have it immediately after your weight training. There is a half hour window in which it benefits your muscles the most. Look into healthier foods and make sure you get lots of fruits and veggies.

I have to agree with the comments on Men's Health magazine. My husband used to get that and I got Women's Health. Great magazines if you want a ton of supplement ads. If you want a good workout routine, save the subscription price and use the money towards a trainer!

Good luck.
  • i have no idea how to figure out how many calories i burn during bowling for 1.5 hours anyone now how to calculate something like this
  • siabevis
    siabevis Posts: 811
    Options
    youre creating muscle.
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    Straight up.........................if you're gaining weight it's because you're eating more than you're burning. There's no gray area here.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

this. if you're gaining, you're eating over your TDEE consistently, calorie surplus = weight gain, calorie deficit = weight loss.. it's pretty simply. often people don't lose weight and I honestly think it's because they are overestimating exercise calories, and underestimating food intake.
  • JBorg039
    Options
    You are probably not eating the right amount of calories, you firstly need to calculate your BMR & than add up the workout calories. I suggest you just use a calorie calculator & eat the amount it shows you. You can use a basic one on : www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm or a more advanced one on http://www.fatcuda.com

Hope this helps