A new weighing scale

Options
I joined MFP about a month ago and lost almost 10P with no work out plan. Now that I've got the hang of the program, After about a month I gained back 6 pounds and have maintained it since.

My weight used to fluctuate... so I bought a new scale (wrong move) I'm 3 pounds heavier on that. I'm only trying to lose 20 and it seems I can't even get past 5...

I'm keeping to my calorie count of 1200. give or take... Any thoughts??? It's more encouraging when a pound or two is lost.

Replies

• Msjat
    Msjat Posts: 9
    Options
    I just got a new scale and it is 3 pounds heavier. yuck. One month is not a long time. Go easy and don't give up. Maybe add some exercise to your program. If you are eating only 1200 per day, you will lose weight.
  • MasonMelissa
    MasonMelissa Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Try weighing yourself on the sameday and time of the week. If you are plateauing you may need to add somemore exercise to the routine.
  • JanetM527
    JanetM527 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Mondays are my weigh in day........keeps me focused over the week end. I weigh first thing in the morning. Be patient. I've been at this since September and have lost 18 lbs. I finally realized slow and steady wins the race. Feel free to add me as a friend.
  • fnyabs
    fnyabs Posts: 4
    Options
    I also added some exercise, running for 20mins 3 times a day.. not much but I plan to increase that.
  • Brandicaloriecountess
    Brandicaloriecountess Posts: 2,126 Member
    Options
    I am waiting on a new scale and SO nervous it won't give me the same reading as the one I have been using.
  • Cr8tive_Ingenuity
    Options
    if your gonna get a scale i would recommend a tanita scale..a decent one runs about 150 dollars but it gives you composition reading..the scale i have now is a POS, its not a tanita and will give me readings up to 2 to 3 lbs difference every time i step on it so i dont go by it..i just use to to make sure i am going down..
  • wendyboz
    wendyboz Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    ...Don't forget - muscle weighs more than fat! Also, if you are working out a lot - your muscles will hold water which tends to make them weigh more. I find that if I stick to eating healthy and within the calories limit set on my plan coupled with sticking to a varied exercise plan - the scale doesn't really matter that much. I think your clothes will tell you how you are doing! For example, the scale may say that I have gained a pound or two - but my clothes actually fit better.

Hang in there and pat yourself on the back! You are doing something positive by exercising and eating healthy!
  • Rachiepie6
    Rachiepie6 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    If you're goal is to lose 20lbs, then I'd say you aren't eating enough. I am not qualified, it is purely my opinion from what I've researched and experienced.

Everyone is different, yes. But I think eating a bit more (of good foods) with exercise might help you.
  • tarebare17
    Options
    I've found myself becoming a little impatient with my progress as well, but it just takes time! Try adding at least 30 minutes of cardio per day into your workout plan, with possibly some strength training 2-3 times a week. (don't do this without consulting a trainer, it's dangerous to do if you don't have any previous knowledge) If you're not sure what type of cardio you would enjoy doing, trying out some different exercises and stick with the one you like best! Switch it up every once in awhile. That way your body doesn't get accustomed to a "schedule" and you'll shed the pounds much faster! Good luck dear, stay motivated, the numbers will come!
  • MaryLois1957
    Options
    Hi, I need a new scale but have decided to use my clothes as a guide instead. If my clothes are getting looser its a good indication that something is working. If they are getting tighter - I will have to wash them in cold water to prevent shrinkage:embarassed:
  • fnyabs
    fnyabs Posts: 4
    Options
    You're right - my clothes do tell a different story... this is new to me so I thank you for your input