Diet Kryptonite!

Options
I have a MAJOR sweet tooth...well, it's more of a CHOCOLATE tooth...and it always seems to get in my way when I'm trying to lose weight. It's not like I always keep chocolate around me, in fact if it's not there I'm fine. But the minute I decide I'm going to start watching what I eat, it seems like anything chocolate shows up all around me, and I just can never resist (I live at home currently, so I cant just forbid people to bring it in the house, haha)!!! So, I'm wondering what other people do to curb their cravings for whatever thier diet kryptonite is, whether it's salty or sweet.

I've been debating on whether I should cut it out and just find a way to stick to it (eventually I won't be so weak?), or do I do the one piece of chocolate a day thing, or the one treat a week thing? What do you guys do?

Replies

• tiggersstar
    tiggersstar Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    i work in a treat most days like a skinny cow lolly for pudding. lifes too short to only eat salad!

:flowerforyou:
  • hope516
    hope516 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    I am an all or nothing type of person. I either overeat or I completely restrict myself, so a treat won't work for me. But if that helps you to goal, than do it! If you are able to work chocolate into your daily calorie intake, and having a little is not going to cause a binge than why in the world would you not?? This weekend I put a tablespoon of chocolate chips into my regular oatmeal and it was awesome and only added 70 calories to my breakfast but it was great!!!
  • Starlage
    Starlage Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    I also work in a treat daily no matter what. I tend to go for my favorite low sugar or sugar free things though; super dark 60% chocolate (only like 6g sugar per serving), 100 cal cookie packs, sugar free jello puddings, sugar free jello with lite whipped cream, russell stover sugar free candies/chocolates, sugar free dark chocolate promises, and anything skinny cow. Most of them have splenda, which some people cant stand but it doesn't bother me and having these things, being able to look forward to them even though they're empty calories helps me not binge on really bad things!!
  • persian_star
    persian_star Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I'm a chocolate girl too! I've tried several things to combat my cravings - cocoa butter handcream and lipbalm when you don't really want food, just need the smell/flavour, and dark chocolate (my secret weapon) - I'm not a huge fan so I found a couple I like (though not as much as milk chocolate) and every time I need that chocolate sensation between my teeth and melting in the mouth I have two squares, by which time the craving has been met but the bitterness stops me having any more. I also drink chocolate protein shakes which gives me the smooth chocolate-yness as part of my everyday diet :o)

Doesn't always work, mind. Yesterday I scarfed two Dime bars in a row. Oops :os
  • nikkijean8
    nikkijean8 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Got this idea from a friend - I buy the Dove dark chocolate pieces and stick them in the freezer. It takes so long to eat one piece that you can't mindlessly eat them. Not to say you couldn't go nuts on them, but you have plenty of time to think about what you're doing. I also have a sweet tooth and that worked really well for me as a treat or reward for a good day. Won't work for everybody, but its a thought! Good luck!
  • tekiegirl
    tekiegirl Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Apparently dark chocolate (70%+ cocoa) is supposed to suppress your appetite. I have tried it recently and I think it works, but it might just be a placebo effect.
    Try one square of Lindt, or any other brand chocolate, when you get hungry. It will satisfy your chocolate craving for only around 50 calories (I couldn't eat any more as it's so strong) and you will hopefully eat less calories afterwards :)

I do love sweet things. I try to budget them in. Cadbury Crunchies seem the best calorie to chocolatey goodness ratio at 180 calories per bar. I also buy the low fat vanilla desert (ice cream) and melt a little chocolate over the top. A lovely desert for around 120 calories ;)

You can have chocolate and stay within your calories for the day! No need for treats ;)
  • lacewitch
    lacewitch Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    chocolate is a big stumbling step for me too. and I can't just say no chocolate because i rebel against myself so i only buy the darkest richest chocolate i can the melt a square and dip fruit and nuts into it!
    strawberries, apples and almonds are good also mango and pineapple.
  • Tenoreo90
    Tenoreo90 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I'm struggling with that as well...something that is helping me is I just don't have ANY...and tell myself that on sunday night (which is my 'friday' of my weird work week) that I can go buy one packet of skinny cow clusters (120 cal--AMAZING, taste like Snickers mixed with Kit Kat!) and I really savor it. I don't chow down when I'm reading or talking to someone. I sit at my desk and just savor it. It sounds weird, but it works.

Also, I know this is also going to sound odd...I watched a video online of a hypnotist (can't remember his name...he's big in Britain) and he does this thing called "tapping it out". Concentrate on your craving and tap on your pressure points 10 times individually...above the eye, below the eye, collar bone...there were more but the Youtube video was a preview only and I'm cheap haha. But I've done that and while I feel silly doing it, it totally works!

Also, try mint chocolate chip sugar free gum, mint flavored mints (my SIL got me a tin while on vacation...not sure where all you can find them, but they're 5 cal/3 pieces). That's helped a LOT! Good luck, girl! :D
  • Tenoreo90
    Tenoreo90 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Oh, also....Diet Swiss Miss-25 cal/packet!! It tastes pretty similar to the real thing! You could even add fat free redi whip or a few marshmallows (naturally fat free) if you wanted!
  • rheiah
    rheiah Posts: 84
    Options
    I'm not much of a chocolate person, but I've always got that craving for something sweet after dinner... I often just go for some low-fat milk (but not soy - tastes horrible in this combination) + a teaspoon or two of Whittard's Luxury Hot White Chocolate powder. It's sadly quite high in sugar but it satisfies all my cravings & I don't have anything sweet the rest of the day (well, my breakfast cereals ft a squeeze of honey).
  • julala1979
    julala1979 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am also a chocaholic! Cadbury Curly Wurlys are great - only 105 cals and you feel like you've got a nice big bar for the calories :bigsmile:
  • LemonSocks
    LemonSocks Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I try and use chocolate as a reward for working out. I try and avoid actual chocolate bars/pieces because I find it very hard to stop instead opting for chocolate milk or ice cream (or frozen yogurt, usually). I can't eat/drink a lot less and be satisfied with it.

I also like really rich, dark chocolate puddings. The richer the taste the less I'll eat.

It helps that I have orthodontic separators in at the moment. I had a Toffee Crisp two days ago and with the separators it took me over an HOUR to eat. That kind of stops you going back for seconds.

But to be honest chocolate isn't really my kryptonite. Pizza is my weakness (dominos or pizza hut, not fussy). In which case I try to keep a frozen pizza or fresh dough in so I don't order in.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I have really lost my cravings for sweets the farther along I have come in my journey. I use alternatives that are lighter and still give satisfaction such as fat free/sugar free chocolate pudding with fat free Cool Whip (Makes like a chocolate moose) or I go to like a fiber one chocolate and oat bar (taste just like a candy bar) but overall as time goes on discipline for me has completely broken my relying on any food other than it being a source to fuel my body and my workouts. Goodluck to you.....
  • LolaGotThin
    LolaGotThin Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I love chocolate too. My husband started buying these dark chocolate bars with a touch of sea salt...amazing. The best part is there are 190 calories in 4 squares, which is nearly half the bar. <3
  • wantmorepies
    Options
    I'm not a chocolate fan at all (am I weird?)
    I love the savoury stuff though, crisps especially :noway:
    ...Linda xx
  • diver71_au
    diver71_au Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I dont really crave chocolate even though it was a daily part of my diet in my past life. What I am missing is the sodium and greasy fats of a KFC Zinger.
  • rensker
    rensker Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Might not be the answer you're looking for but do you take supplements? I'm a HUGE chocoholic. I used to crave it so bad, all the time! I found out that magnesium deficiency causes chocolate cravings and ever since I've been taking a Cal-Mag supplement I can actually have chocolate in the house without it disappearing. I still love chocolate, but I'm no longer like a crack addict with it and can stop at one piece.

Also, I agree with everyone else that suggests high cocoa (dark) chocolate. Especially Lindt; love it with a cup of tea right before bed.
  • viever03
    viever03 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hey all, thanks for your great advice! I am definitely going to stick to dark chocolate, for all the nice health benefits, and I think maybe I'll start with allowing myself one treat a day...if I need it. That way I dont feel like I'm restricting myself, but also I wont be having something everyday unless I'm craving it! I'll definitely let ya'll know how it goes!