the ALLI drug

Options
Anyone have any good or bad experience with this OTC drug?

I hear the side effects are horrible. I bought a batch of it, but am terrified to use it during work hours. (Bathroom is on the other side of the building.)

katie

Replies

• xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    supposedly this stuff blocks fat absorption. it is also called xenecal ( i think thats how its spelled) used to treat obesity. Alli is a lower dose of this. the xenecal has shown to have side effects of liver damage.

The way it works is it blocks fat absorption in the intestines and it is only recomended to use when you eat a fatty meal. If you eat too much fat and take this, you could suffer some pretty nasty after effects, like oily bowel movements, or other bowel issues (running to the bathroom).

The weight you may lose on this is negligable and and nothing you couldnt have lost on a healthy diet and exercise plan.

sorry for the mispellings, typing fast and dont care to correct. lol
  • sansouchi1050
    Options
    I tried it for one weekend, and one weekend only! Word of advice......never trust a toot while you are taking this med.I decided I would rather be fat than going around worried about pooping my self.
  • katiebythebay
    katiebythebay Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    No worries and thanks for the info. Your reply falls in line with what I've read on line - the side effects are nasty and you could lose the weight with or without the drug.

katie
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    It's rubbish. I tried this when I was very obese, and it made no impact on my weight loss and gave me awful diohrrhea
  • jim_n_virginia
    jim_n_virginia Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I tried it got my first bottle from my sister who had an errrr accident at work on it and gave me a whole bottle. I did it for a few more months and quit. First off it does work if you follow the plan. You don't just eat the pills and lose weight it comes with a book and you have to diet, work out and eat no more than 15 grams of fat a day ... or else! LOL! And I don't have to tell you what the "or else" means! It works because it like having someone stand over you with a big stick! The problem I had with Alli is it is not doable for long term and when you stop.like.most diets the weight comes.back!
  • gianessa
    gianessa Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I tried it for one weekend, and one weekend only! Word of advice......never trust a toot while you are taking this med.I decided I would rather be fat than going around worried about pooping my self.

this made me LOL thanks!!
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    these type of thing seem a waste of money, you're either so scared of side effects you daren't eat anything fattening (so in that sense i guess it kind of works!... but willpower is free and would have also achieved same results!) or you carry on eating what ate before and spend the foreseeable future chained to the loo!

if you need a bit of 'help'.. something that gives you energy to exercise and build up your fitness would be more use, then you can carry on exercising without them and keep the weight off once you've reached that level.

Capsiplex is an harmless one, it only contains capsicum which is found naturally in chilli's, if you can't normally stomach chilli's to eat enough to boost your metabolism these help you burn just over 200 extra cals a day and take 30-60 mins before an exercise session.. they give you energy to exercise for longer and build up your fitness and stamina.

I used them as I had severe probs with fatigue from my medical condition and struggled to manage 30 mins but after these could keep going (playing on wii and using passive trainer) for around 2 hours. after few months I was able to do about 90 mins myself without them... decided I want to do something daily rather than big session every few days and cut back to trying to do at least 30 mins EVERYday. I don't take them anymore and still losing.
  • LolaGotThin
    LolaGotThin Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Two words: Anal seepage.
  • Solly123
    Solly123 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Two words: Anal seepage.

Oh god.. Tears rolling down my face here.. Sorry - but OMG!!!! :laugh:
  • margo36
    margo36 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I have taken the precription version and it didn't make any difference. My doctor said that this due to that I didn't have enough fat in my diet to make it work. You can still put on weight even with a low fat diet by simply eating too much. I find it much easier to count calories.
  • broken_star1134
    broken_star1134 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    All those diet pills seem like a waste to me. I mean 2 pills in the morning, 2 in the afternoon, 2 in the evening...and then watch what you eat because you can't have this or that...isn't that a diet all in itself? Why take pills. Some might help you lose faster but you can only take pills for so long without doing damage to your insides and your body is so used to the added whatever it is the pills have in them that it's not good for you that way either and then you start gaining it back. Just do the old watching what you eat and exercising and you will be good!
  • techteachergirl
    techteachergirl Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Pack extra panties if you take it
  • Loudmom01
    Loudmom01 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Luckily I was home when I learned the hard way that when the commercial says "may cause anal seepage" they were not wrong. I dont usually tell ppl because its a little embarassing but wanted to tell my experience because your bathroom is so far away at work that I wanted you to be aware of the danger. Sure if flushes out the fat you dont need, but you dont always have a say on when it is released :embarassed:
  • katiebythebay
    katiebythebay Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I am not laughing at anyone but OMG, some of descriptions here are hysterical.

I'm literally rolling around in my office chair and my co-workers think I've lost my marbles.