Rowing machine

Options
Got one for Christmas and just wondering if anyone here has one or uses them and how do you find it?
I've used it only 3 times as we have been busy but find it hard lol

At the moment can only do around 500m on it but hoping to slowly increase.

Also what do you find tones up from using it?

Thanks

Replies

• emoflosser
    emoflosser Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    There is a certain technique to rowing correctly to get the optimal benefits. I would youtube the correct way to do it, because when I first started rowing on the river, I used my arms more so than my legs which is actually tthe opposite of what you want to do. The power is in your legs. It is a full body workout, but it mostly works out your legs, abs, and back.
  • jujunnaichi
    Options
    There are a few organizations that hold indoor rowing competition: http://concept2.co.uk/birc/. One of my inspiration is a 74-year old man named Clarence Bass who advocates indoor rowing: http://cbass.com/Rowing.htm.

Rowing, when done properly, engages the back, biceps, shoulders, quads, glutes, core, and of course, lungs and heart.
  • jassyjan1
    jassyjan1 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I use the rowing machine at the gym and usually complete 1500-2000m. And it's a challenge, I had to build up to that. It definitely works your legs, abs and yes your back. Its a really great burn.
  • annabellj
    annabellj Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    love the way my butt is looking for once! and such a great full body workout and the fan is nice too! i do about a half a gym visit along with elliptical and treadmill and weights but def had to work up to it. love the way my tricep are looking right now thank you very much!
  • rowerc2
    rowerc2 Posts: 158
    Options
    Not sure what type of machine you bought, but check out the Concept 2 website. The key for rowing is pace. I suspect if you can only row 500 meters then you may be pushing too hard - you may have to slow it down. BTW - rowing machines are the best for cardio and for a full body workout.
  • sarahmumtothree
    Options
    Sounds like hubby made a good choice in the machine!
    It is a good one, I know he had a choice from about 5 and got the best one the guy recommended lol

good thing is i have been using it right by pushing out with my legs first then pulling with arms :)
    I do a good pace, I can only do about 500m as its really the first excercise i have done since primary school so im not fit ::)

thanks for the replies!
  • suvernscorpio
    suvernscorpio Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I have a concept2 rower which my partner wanted and bought and which I was against, but I LOVE it. I have been rowing on and off for 2 years, tend to have a break mid winter and during the summer because of school holidays etc but generally row 3 or 4 times a week. It's a thorough workout and I love the way it tones everything but especially my arms and stomach. Don't get me wrong, I'm useless at motivating myself to 'get on it' but once I do and once I've finished I feel fabulous. I hope you enjoy rowing as much as I do......

By the way I use the concept2.co.uk website for rowing programmes and prefer to listen to discussion programmes on the radio over music, whilst rowing.

Enjoy!!!!
  • sarahmumtothree
    Options
    I have a concept2 rower which my partner wanted and bought and which I was against, but I LOVE it. I have been rowing on and off for 2 years, tend to have a break mid winter and during the summer because of school holidays etc but generally row 3 or 4 times a week. It's a thorough workout and I love the way it tones everything but especially my arms and stomach. Don't get me wrong, I'm useless at motivating myself to 'get on it' but once I do and once I've finished I feel fabulous. I hope you enjoy rowing as much as I do......

By the way I use the concept2.co.uk website for rowing programmes and prefer to listen to discussion programmes on the radio over music, whilst rowing.

Enjoy!!!!

If you don't mind me asking, How far do you Row on yours?
    I struggle really bad just to do 500m. At the moment im trying to alternate each day with the Rower and Treadmill.
    Bit hard with a 4mth old baby and 2 older children lol
  • suvernscorpio
    suvernscorpio Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    To be honest Sarah I don't use distance as a guide. I use the weight loss programme which gives me a schedule in minutes. The link is here http://concept2.co.uk/weightloss/interactive. I row between 30 mins to 60 mins each time but if you fill in the details it will give you a schedule. My partner rows by distance but I just find it easier doing it the way I do.
    I was also recommended to row in distance using these links http://thepeteplan.wordpress.com/beginner-training/
    http://concept2.co.uk/training/interactive
    Hope that helps :)

Debbie x
  • Hurricane_C
    Hurricane_C Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    I used to be on the Crew team in college for a bit, so I'm quite familiar with the ergometers. Although it has been quite awhile since I've used one. But they are quite a workout. Do be sure you're using your legs as your primary energy source. Also, if you can only do 500m either be thrilled you can do that (because its such a hard workout) or maybe do as someone else suggested and slow down abit, pace yourself so you can go longer.

Good luck!!