low carb & low fat calculation

Options
dear mfp-ers,

would anyone know what would be a low carb / low fat amount for a 1200 kcal diet of a 22 year old female with a 26.6 BMI /MFP calculated BMR app.1500kcal/

i am thinking of going low carb, low fat, high protein next week or low carb high fat and protein /need to do some research first/ and i am interested to know the amounts i am working with.

Thx in advance!

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,412 MFP Moderator
    Options
    dear mfp-ers,

would anyone know what would be a low carb / low fat amount for a 1200 kcal diet of a 22 year old female with a 26.6 BMI /MFP calculated BMR app.1500kcal/

i am thinking of going low carb, low fat, high protein next week or low carb high fat and protein /need to do some research first/ and i am interested to know the amounts i am working with.

Thx in advance!

If you go low carb, you need to go high fat to provide energy. Keep in mind, fat doesn't make you fat and will actually provide your body with essential nutrition for healthy skin, hair, nails and adequate protection for your internal organs and bodily functions. Generally, a low carb diet can be 30% carbs (or whatever get you around 80-100g ) , 40% protein and 30% fats.

I will say, you really don't need low carb unless you have an intolerance to it such as PCOS and since carbs are essential and the quickest way to produce energy, if you feel yourself being tired or lethargic, you should increase them.

On a side note, if you plan on doing 1200 calories, make sure to eat back 50-75% of MFP estimates for exercise calories or if you have a HRM, then look for 75-90% of them.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    1200 cal would be too low for someone at your BMI.
  • carolann_22
    carolann_22 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    My ratios are 60% Fat, 30 % Protein, 10% Carbs (all from leafy greens or nuts). That's what I try for, per my doc, but I do have PCOS so low carb is a must for me.
  • Quiing
    Quiing Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Low Carb/High Fat is the best way to go... percentage wise, it should be 60/30/10 (fat/protein/carb) with 30g or less of carbs per day preferably from green veggies only. 1200 calories is way too low though.
  • mags1024
    Options
    I think it's important to know why you are going so low in caloric intake first. Are you trying to shock your body? Get through a platue? In that case you would want to eat as 'clean' as possible. All comlex carbs coming from fruits and veggies (minimal fruit apples 1 per day) sweet potato's, greens etc. I would stay away from nut butters (peanut etc) and keep protein lean lean lean. If you are trying to shock the system go low carb, low fat, high protein and you will also need to reduce cardio and up your weight routine. I would not reccomend doing this for more than a week, 2 at the very most. Be careful when you transition back to reg caloric intake. Introduce things slowly.

BTW, stay away from dairy too. This is what people do pre-contest to shock the body and reduce body fat, but the disadvantage is when you start to eat 'normal' again you can gain the weight quick. That is why it's important to introduce things like nut butters, dairy etc slowly one day at a time!
    Good Luck!!
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    If you go low carb, you need to go high fat to provide energy. Keep in mind, fat doesn't make you fat and will actually provide your body with essential nutrition for healthy skin, hair, nails and adequate protection for your internal organs and bodily functions. Generally, a low carb diet can be 30% carbs (or whatever get you around 80-100g ) , 40% protein and 30% fats.

I will say, you really don't need low carb unless you have an intolerance to it such as PCOS and since carbs are essential and the quickest way to produce energy, if you feel yourself being tired or lethargic, you should increase them.

On a side note, if you plan on doing 1200 calories, make sure to eat back 50-75% of MFP estimates for exercise calories or if you have a HRM, then look for 75-90% of them.

^ This, all of it.
  • first of all, thank you all for your replies!

1200 kcal is my net value /intake minus exercise/ meaning i have decreased my daily calorie needs with mindful eating and working out by only ~500-600kcal per day:-) i hope this gets me at a healthy, steady weight loss from 1.5-2.2lbs /0.7 - 1kg/ per week as my weekly deficit goes around 3500kcal.

i practice clean eating in my diet and have noticed my carb intake is relatively high /as i do a lot of homemade oatmeal, fruit shakes, honey as sweetener, leafy greens and nuts/ and therefore wanted to do something on that regard. you really helped me with your advices, THANK YOU!

have a great day!